Main Menu

Worst series you've stuck with until the end?

Started by Megadeth, 10 March, 2005, 05:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megadeth

I've been prompted to ask this question after finishing what is without doubt the worst mini series i've ever finished.

'Toe Tags: Featuring George A. Romero'

Utter drivel for every page of its 6 issue run. I stupidly decided to stick with it in the hope that something would happen to give this series some merit. Plot wise it was, even for a zombie story, pretty thin on the ground. A reasonably interesting concept just plowed through in the most low brow way possible, absolutely nothing of what made his 'Dead Trilogy' a cut above your average zombie flick. The art was nothing to shout about either... i might have just considered it average if i hadn't been catching up on 'The Walking Dead' at the same time.

So the question is open, What is the worst mini-series or story arc you've ever stuck with and for what absurd reason did you do it???

Funt Solo

Sandman:  because people kept bloody well going on about it.  I felt sure that somewhere in one of the multitude of books there must be something that had made all these other people wax lyrical about it's merits.

Once I'd finished all of the books it dawned on me that it was just a pile of self-referential navel-gazing ennui.

Or is it a work of magical genius that pays glorious homage to a plethora of myths?  

I can never decide.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abc warrior

1602 - kept hoping Gaiman would deliver but sadly, no.

Art

Wow, we're just full of warm fuzzy feelings this week aren't we?

Satanist

Seaguy - Poor art and a stupid up its own arse script. I just stuck with it cos its Morrison.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

GermanAndy

Let?s see :-)

In ancient times:

Shogun Warriors, Werewolf by Night and Aztec Ace (anybody remember this?) lol

what can I say to my defense, I thought at the time Doug Moench was a brilliant writer.

In not so ancient times:

Vampirella
what an unreadable mess, I think Millar and Co wrote this at their lunch break.

But the real obsessed buying was Iron Man. It was the first US comic I bought regulary in the 70s, started about Issue 80. Was a big fan of Layton and Micheline, but continued to buy it after they left. A long time. Brrr, the horror. This book got the worst writers Marvel ever assembled. Or it brought the worst out of them, I don?t know.

And still got suckered to try it again in the numerous relauches and always asked myself Why afterwards.

ukdane

Too many to name.
 There are 100's which I've not given up buying, but have breathed a huge sigh when they went down the plug.

Now if only they'd stop the Star Wars comics!
Cheers

-Daney

Grant Goggans

Dear heaven, Justice League must be the answer for me.  I finally, after a thirty-year run, threw in the towel last year.  Joe Kelly's run was boring and annoying the life out of me, and then we came to Claremont & Byrne and I drew the line with issue #99.  That far, and no farther; I didn't think anybody made comic books that bad.

Six months later, Kurt Busiek started writing and I jumped back on board.  And BOY HOWDY does that art suck.  I'm regretting this decision monthly since the art is SO TERRIBLE.  My eyes!!

--Grant

House of Usher

gmslegion what?? The art sucked?? What about the 'story' in which Qwardians just stand around going blah blah blah about magic armour and the Crime Syndicate just twat each other round the head and bitch on about making somebody pay for their reality getting tweaked? If the art sucks, the script blows goats. For a living.

Me, I stopped buying JLA about the time of the fairytale story arc and the Tower of Babel (Ra's Al Ghul), then hunted down all the back issues I'd missed as a penance when things got interesting again.

So, yep, JLA is about the worst comic I've stuck with, if you don't count the issues I missed and then went back for.
STRIKE !!!

Grant Goggans

Wow, House.  Sounds like I've got some terrible reading coming my way once I clean the dirt off my eyes this "art" leaves behind...

No, actually, you're completely right.  Episodes 1 and 2 of this story were astonishing wastes of money by every possible definition, but the story picks up to a decent level after that.  The pacing is appalling (can this be the same man who wrote such decent Avengers?), but it's peppered with enough good scenes to make me think it will start to click when Busiek finds his groove.  I liked Ultraman incinerating that crowd, and the JLA getting their clocks cleaned because they just figured the Crime Syndicate would lose and so didn't try very hard.  Those two moments alone are worth more than anything seen in the book since Waid left.

--Grant

Tordelbach

Has to be 1602.  I could have spent that money on aspirin.

Shakara

...I didn't not like 1602. It was good.

shut up

The Monarch

suicide squad v2 (giffens version) now I loved bordered on obsessed with the original 80s version and was sickened by this abortion of a series i mean 8 issues of crap with three gems stuck in (the two flashbacks and the genius that was "the jerk" from issue 5)

WoD

Just turned over the page on my Dilbert calander and it reminded me of the VERY worst series I stuck with....

El Diablo.

Truly awful DC (loose) update on a Zorro theme...

DavidXBrunt

Now I have to say that I really liked Giffens Suicide Squad. I can fully understand why people who liked the last series wouldn't and it was too esoteric to survive but it was fun whilst it lasted. Plus as it was being published contemporaneously with J.L.A.Incarnations you got to read Giffen writing Suicide Squad whilst John Ostrander wrote for the Max Lord J.L.I., which was fun.

Worst series I stuck with? Toe Tags presents The Death of Death. A zombie comic written by George A. Romero? Wow! Got to buy that! Okay the first issue is a confusing mess but hey, there's some interesting ideas. Perhaps he'll get the knack of writing comics as he goes on. Issue 2 is more of the same but perhaps by issue three. Perhaps the editor will have started making changes by issue 4. Oh dear god in heaven why didn't they give him a co-writer? Still, issue 5 has got to be better, there's the whole set up for the confrrontation between characters, the story revelations...oh bollocks that was just a huge waste of time, I mean what went wrong...still only one more part.