Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Jesse on 'Breaking Bad' is a great advocate for Funyuns - " Funyuns are awesome, yo" - Walter is less keen "How come you are even alive?". I'm somewhere in the middle - this bag was $3.75 and although tasty enough they were pretty standard onion ring crisps. Give me Frazzles any day.

Stay tuned for another Funyuns variety down the line!

Buttonman

Fans of Man Vs Food will recognise The Cherry Cricket in Denver. This wasn't an eating challenge venue so I didn't wimp out. It was the one with the dart board where you could throw to determine your burger toppings. When we went it was busy and there was no mention of dart boards but they did a lot of draft beers so that was fine. Our server Justin was very pally and told us about the MvF filming despite probably having been asked about it 100s of times by tourists.

The menu was pretty extensive but I went for the wings again. We also showed our sophistication by getting some hummus. The wings were smaller than the previous set and the server claimed this was because they were locally sourced. I liked the buffalo sauce but the wife felt it vinegary. The hummus was fine and the flat bread toasty.

Given the high profile of the burger I went for it and added some jalapeos, cheese and salsa. It didn't quite live up to the hype but it was very nice and needless to say I scoffed the lot.

Simon Beigh

We are off to Florida soon. I shall be avoiding Funyuns, I think, as it would seem to add fuel to my thinking that our American brethren can't do crisps. I shall be taking a selection with me... Can't go for two weeks without a decent bag of crisps :)

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 27 September, 2013, 08:57:16 AM
I shall be taking a selection with me... Can't go for two weeks without a decent bag of crisps :)

Hope your not taking tins of baked beans, and tetley tea bags with you as well? ;)

Simon Beigh

Baked beans... no. Tetley tea bags... Yes! I'm British! Need a decent cup of tea, old chap ;)

Proudhuff

Glad to see you went for the Tattie scone option with this one.
DDT did a job on me

Colin Zeal

I'm delighted to see the return of one of my favourite threads. I'm curious what your wife thinks of having to take a photo of every single meal you have though.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 27 September, 2013, 11:42:00 AM
I'm delighted to see the return of one of my favourite threads. I'm curious what your wife thinks of having to take a photo of every single meal you have though.

Sadly there is no Mrs butt'man,  its only a tripod
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Mrs Buttonman's dinners are similarly recorded - not sure what she does with them though, maybe she has a similar thread on the Bunty comics forum.

A good holidaying tip is to join your hotel's loyalty program - it's usually free and you often get the odd freebie. In this case we were in the Holiday Inn in Denver and the wife asked if breakfast was included. It wasn't but due to our loyalty they compted us for their breakfast buffet. A free breakfast is always a great thing and this was one of the best. Lots of British style fried goods, fruit and Froot Loops. They seem to be mad for turkey sausage in America and you can't get HP sauce but I'm all for immersing myself in foreign cultures.

Bolt-01

I'm loving this. Mrs Bolt loves to take photo's of meals on holidays too, so we have loads, especially from the Disney trip, but this is a level of dedication I admire.

Dandontdare

one man's level of dedication is another man's mental illness  ;)

Buttonman

Last year I received unfair criticism over an Applebees visit. This is an American chain that seemingly does souless corporate food and uses plates - can you imagine? Anyway I'm fine with their reasonable pricings, lots of sport on TV and an extensive cocktail menu. The fact that they were doing a '2 for $20' deal had very little to do with it. It was also next to our hotel and I'm not paying those Holiday Inn fatcats $30 for a steak (thanks again for the free breakfast though).

Anyway the deal was one appetizer (starter) to share and an entree (main) each. We shared the boneless buffalo wings. These are essentially chicken nuggets without the batter. You'd think that a no bone chicken wing would be a time saver and avoid all that veinyness but these were a bit bland despite the sauce and dip. Got through them though.

For my main I had this cheezy chicken pasta which for some reason had a honey drizzle. Predictably this made it too sweet and sickly. The garlic bread had very little garlic and was too dense. Overall a fail but $20!

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 27 September, 2013, 12:26:09 PM
I'm loving this. Mrs Bolt loves to take photo's of meals on holidays too, so we have loads, especially from the Disney trip, but this is a level of dedication I admire.

There are entire blogs dedicated to Disney food menus. Mrs B often shows me a plate of what looks like regurgitated cat sick because the photographer thinks he can take a picture of a Mac & Cheese in artificial lighting with a camera phone.

Mrs Buttonman's photography, in contrast, is of the highest quality... Bravo!

Quote from: Buttonman on 27 September, 2013, 12:17:03 PM
...and you can't get HP sauce but I'm all for immersing myself in foreign cultures.

Good Lord, I'd forgotten that. I can't believe Americans think they are civilised without decent crisps and HP sauce. I've instructed Mrs B to add it to the shopping list along with Hula Hoops and Monster Munch.

Public service broadcasting here, Buttonman, keep up the good work sir...

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 27 September, 2013, 03:36:28 PM
Good Lord, I'd forgotten that. I can't believe Americans think they are civilised without decent crisps and HP sauce. I've instructed Mrs B to add it to the shopping list along with Hula Hoops and Monster Munch.

Monster Munch; The King of crisps!

The Doctor Alt 8