Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: sauchie on 28 October, 2013, 06:04:31 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 27 October, 2013, 11:57:53 PM
Mrs B had some fried chicken

Racist. See if you can fit in a review of American sweeties, Simeon - they seem to have a very different definition of what constitutes chocolate .

I was given some American chocolate...

It was the only chocolate I threw away because it was so revolting....

it was THAT BAD...
even some Americans won't touch it and beg us brits to send them ours!

Recrewt

Yup, there is definitely some dodgy american chocolate out there, however Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are one of the best chocs I have ever tasted!

Rog69

I think the main reason American chocolate is rubbish is that a lot of it is based on Hershy's (or other brands that make their chocolate taste similar because that's what Americans are accustomed to)

Apparently Hershy's is made using sour milk which is what gives it those subtle tangy undertones of vomit.

von Boom

As a child I was given an American 'candy bar'. It was like trying to eat a candle it was so waxy and tasteless. Suffice to say the aunt who gave it to me was decidedly irked as I spit it out in front of her.

Frank

Whoa! Let's not start a chocolate war with the few discerning 'Murcans who frequent these parts - look how the scuffle between us over tea turned out. I don't think there's anything objectively awful about chocolate in the land of the free; as Rog points out, it's just what you're accustomed to.

I couldn't have cared less whether the chocolate digestive you offered me with a cup of tea was covered in plain or milk chocolate when I was a kid or teenager. Because my mum preferred dark chocolate I got used to eating that version of McVities' finest, and now even the sight of the sicklier milk chocolate biscuit gies me the boak.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 30 October, 2013, 06:34:14 PM
Whoa! Let's not start a chocolate war with the few discerning 'Murcans who frequent these parts - look how the scuffle between us over tea turned out. I don't think there's anything objectively awful about chocolate in the land of the free; as Rog points out, it's just what you're accustomed to.

Mmm-hmmm.  Sometime in the 80's an American girl I knew brought us a giant bag of Hershey's Kisses from a trip home, something I knew only from the ads in Power Pack, and was understandably intrigued by.  They turned out to taste like miniature candles, and the bag sat forlorn and unloved for weeks.  The same girl claimed Jaffa Cakes to be the vilest things she had ever tasted.

However, on a trip to the states about 10 years later I became virtually addicted to Hershey's Cookies & Cream bars, as well as almost everything Reese produces - Reese's Pieces remain high on my list of top-flight sweets.  It is indeed all about what you're used to.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Irish Cadbury's>>>>>>>>>British Cadbury's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hersheys

Edited to add: That's not to say I dislike British Cadbury's, it's quite nice. It just pales in comparison to the Irish stuff
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 30 October, 2013, 06:59:25 PM
Irish Cadbury's>>>>>>>>>British Cadbury's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hersheys

Edited to add: That's not to say I dislike British Cadbury's, it's quite nice. It just pales in comparison to the Irish stuff

'Tis the glass & a half of Irish milk that makes the difference to be sure.

I am quite fond of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups it has to be said though- sickly sweet as they are.
The new kid on the block- Tayto's Cheese & Onion Crisp chocolate bar will be the king of my hill for the foreseeable future however.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 October, 2013, 10:06:13 PMTayto's Cheese & Onion Crisp chocolate bar will be the king of my hill for the foreseeable future however.

Never did such a vile concept turn out to be so utterly magical - and life-threatening.  I fantasise about making a giant Tayto bag and filling it with bars and pretending they're individual crisps.  >glargle<

However, having just watched  a cookery programme with that Ballymaloe lass pouring half of the Dead Sea into a fajita and some meatballs and a fecking sponge mix, all intended for her young children, my definition of unhealthy food may have to change.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 October, 2013, 10:15:19 PM
Never did such a vile concept turn out to be so utterly magical - and life-threatening.  I fantasise about making a giant Tayto bag and filling it with bars and pretending they're individual crisps.  >glargle<

Save a place for me in the End-Stage-Diabetes II-Ward Tordel, I scoffed three of the unmpty infused f*ckers on the drive into town tonight!

Theblazeuk

The reason most American chocolate has that waxy texture + taste is because they tend to put more vegetable oil vs cocoa butter. Conversely UK chocolate has more milk than most European chocolate, though tends to have less cocoa solids involved in its manufacturing process.

I was told once upon a time that the vegetable oil also helps keep the chocolate stable in adverse temperature, preventing the powdery-crystallization effect you get when things melt and resolidify. This is more important for a manufacturer catering for the diverse climates of the US. However this last one must be taken with a pinch of salt as I can't find much to support it online - and Oz chocolate doesn't taste that way. Additionally the most likely reason is the most pragmatic one, which is that vegetable oil saves money across mass production.

Technically US chocolate and much of the cheaper international brands are chocolate flavoured candy rather than chocolate, but you pay the bucks you get to call it whatcha like.

Whatever it boils down to in the end, the yanks get some damn nice chocolate - more for the varied fillings of sugary delight than the confection itself. Ozzies, with kitkat oreos and mint freddos, get the best of both worlds. Bastards.

If you want to try some vile chocolate, get some Thai stuff. Erghh. At least the japanese infuse it with green tea, sweet potato and other strange delights.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 31 October, 2013, 12:19:41 PM...with kitkat oreos and mint freddos...

My wife must never hear of this.  I like 'em big, but not that big.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 31 October, 2013, 12:19:41 PM
Conversely UK chocolate has more milk than most European chocolate, though tends to have less cocoa solids involved in its manufacturing process.

I think there was a euro-spat not so long ago with the Franco-Belgian axis arguing that what we eat should not even be classified as chocolate because it had too much milk in it.

Hawkmumbler

You guy's ain't never tried Guernsey chocolate made with local cow's milk. I swear, i'm adding it to just another reason why it's the nicest place in Europe. It's so soft and creamy and it melts in your mouth while providing what can only be described as an oral orgasm.

Proudhuff

Ignore chocolate eat Tablet.  :D
DDT did a job on me