Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 28 July, 2014, 12:34:04 AM
Of course it was necessary... You have to have SOMETHING to hide the taste of the haggis.

haggis is lush! only spent a week in the highlands and had it twice in two days with one in the bag for the trip back   (in a synthetic skin which spoils the experience somewhat)  great on toast!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Fungus

Correct. Received wisdom says it's horrible - far from it. If you find yourself in a posh nosh situation and it's on the menu, go for it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Fungus on 03 August, 2014, 12:33:09 AM
Correct. Received wisdom says it's horrible - far from it. If you find yourself in a posh nosh situation and it's on the menu, go for it.
Absouluely, or even a decent caf ... but never EVER in a Scottish chip shop.

Trout

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 August, 2014, 12:18:24 PM

Scottish chippers vary significantly according to where you are in Scotland. I'm on record with my unrestricted vilification of chips in Glasgow, although I can almost tolerate Edinburgh's strange approach with salt-and-sauce offerings.

But, if you head into the dangerous hinterland, you can find a great haggis supper. Perth will do. But Dundee is best. The very short list of things I pine for, having left Scotland forever, includes a white pudding from a chipper in Dundee.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Trout on 03 August, 2014, 02:55:27 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 August, 2014, 12:18:24 PM

Scottish chippers vary significantly according to where you are in Scotland. I'm on record with my unrestricted vilification of chips in Glasgow, although I can almost tolerate Edinburgh's strange approach with salt-and-sauce offerings.

But, if you head into the dangerous hinterland, you can find a great haggis supper. Perth will do. But Dundee is best. The very short list of things I pine for, having left Scotland forever, includes a white pudding from a chipper in Dundee.

You can take the boy out of Dundee...
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

My experience was largely based on the Hilltown chippy in Dundee - they did a  fine fish or pie supper, but the haggis was unspeakable. Over my years in Scotland, many people have extolled the virtues of good haggis, but they'd always add "but not that chippy shite".

I once asked for a slice of pizza in the Hilltown, but wasn't expecting to see it to go into the fryer.

Buttonman

Chippy haggis is too dense especially it's deep fried too. I've never finished one off -King Rib every time.

In a restaurant it's always a tasty starter with turnip and potatoes (tatties an neeps) with a bit of HP sauce to annoy the chef.

Trout

The Hilltown isn't representative of... humanity.

Proudhuff

Veggie Haggis pakora! wonderful!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

A scottish hospital:

were's the veggie version
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Hoo-ray! I have returned from 9 days in Sunny San Sebastian and photographed a few choice cuts for the board gourmands to salivate over.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. A two hour layover at Heathrow demanded some grub so we went to Giraffe. This was a tasty offering which at about a tenner was good value for airport grub. It was sold as  Huevos Rancheros but it was like a thin pizza with a load of eggs and bacon on it. They also scored a bonus point for having my favourite Encona hot sauce.

Frank

A tenner for scrambled eggs! Is the restaurant called Giraffe because that's what they're having (in Cockney rhyming slang)? My personal pet hate too - the non-circular plate.

Fungus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 August, 2014, 03:11:54 PM
A scottish hospital:

You're not wrong. He has the standard glaikit expression and weapon in his free hand!
(Such self-loathing so early in the day. Let's govern oursel's!)

Buttonman

Quote from: sauchie post office on 29 August, 2014, 06:51:32 AM

A tenner for scrambled eggs! Is the restaurant called Giraffe because that's what they're having (in Cockney rhyming slang)? My personal pet hate too - the non-circular plate.

In the world of Heathrow a sub £10 lunch is practically a soup kitchen!

We went to San Sebastian via London and Madrid and predictably we missed our final connection.

BA were pretty good and stuck us up with a free dinner in a hotel in Madrid. In my naivity I thought I'd have the run of the menu but alas no! They'd set up a canteen style food kitchen and I was too slow to get to the nice looking chops that were there when we arrived.

The food was unlabelled and some looked a bit strange so I opted for a mixed salad. Nice crispy onions and some beetroot. No dressing but I improvised with olive oil and vinegar.

With the chops having gone I had to pick between three mystery cauldrons. I went for this passable but forgettable pasta-bol. OK with some more salad and a dry roll jazzed up with some olive oil.

The puddings were a bit limited with tinned fruit or shop bought cake your options. I went for the cake and it was OK but just what you'd expect really.

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Fungus on 29 August, 2014, 08:10:46 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 August, 2014, 03:11:54 PM
A scottish hospital:

You're not wrong. He has the standard glaikit expression and weapon in his free hand!
(Such self-loathing so early in the day. Let's govern oursel's!)
Last time I saw something like that it was on the winter Olympics.....