Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

QuoteI'm sure he didn't sell his goods for barter only, and probably happily accepted *illusory* money from his *imaginary* customers.  Of course, if anyone approached him and just took the stuff they could quite rightly argue that his *ownership* of the items was naught but an illusion of grandeur and that Legally (note that magical uppercase 'L' that lends more weight to my banter) anyone could just take them.

'nuff said.

Professor Bear

All the kids nicked off school to chant "fuck Theresa May" as they marched through London, apparently.  I don't think we can really blame the BBC for not airing footage of this one.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

That's Brexit solved now.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 February, 2019, 05:45:47 PM
That's Brexit solved now.

Yep. Can't help feeling there were a couple of slight hiccups along the way, but things are going swimmingly now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Monday morning: "We are leaving the Labour Party because it is racist."
Monday evening: "I would like to apologise for using the words "funny tinge" to describe black people's skin."

Theblazeuk

I get the motivation but by god, way to do exactly the kind of naive self destructive crap that every armchair buffoon has been saying is a reason not to vote Labour ("Its a party of protest") or the other parties. Including these lots. That's just not the system we have. Be bloody real.

And oh look, couldn't even go a single day without being more explicitly racially dodgy than anything I heard said in the anti-semitism row.

IndigoPrime

Still, at least they haven't readmited Derek Hatton, because that would be really stupid.

Theblazeuk

I'm finding it hard to get actual information on Hatton. Did he send the redundancies via taxis? What's the big deal other the Labour Party having one actual-hard-left nutter? The Tories have tons of hard-right nutters front and centre...

Also I see this new centrist party is just Labour MPs. And on another note, we really should have a by-election called every time MPs change their parties like this.

Professor Bear

(TRIGGER WARNING)
[spoiler]The main issue of late seems to be attempts to attach Hatton to "rape apologism" because of his comments about removing anonymity for people who turn out to have made false rape allegations.[/spoiler]

Hatton self-describes himself as "a capitalist" (he made his money in property development) and is critical of Corbyn because of Brexit, so I would have thought the sensibles would welcome him with open arms regardless of his transgressions - I mean, if the blood of a million dead Iraqis can be washed from Tony Blair's hands on the grounds of sensible politics, I would imagine forgiving the hiring of taxis to deliver P45s should be a no-brainer.
Liverpudlians seem to have a higher opinion of him than the rest of the UK's media.  Make of that (admittedly low bar) what you will.

IndigoPrime

Right now, his anti-semitic comments especially aren't a good look for the party.

Theblazeuk

See, this is what I don't understand. All references are that he was banned for being part of 'militant' and doing some remarkably stupid things as part of a council. The Daily Mail reports it as 'It's good to be back': Militant leader Derek Hatton gloats about being let back into Labour for the first time in decades on the SAME DAY 'gang of seven' moderates walked out"

Obviously gloating is a gross exaggeration, he's no longer the militant leader, and the 'gang of seven' are self-described moderates, doing the old overton window schtick forever onwards. Anyway; Lots of links to the 'anti-semitism' row in the stories but literally no mention of Hatton's part in anything like that.

Anything in particular?

Professor Bear

According to social media, he actually rejoined the party five weeks ago, it's just that it was widely reported yesterday for some reason.

Theblazeuk

Complete coincidence that every news outlet including the BBC did that at the same time right

IndigoPrime

There are tweets he posted doing the rounds.