Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 20 May, 2018, 09:52:28 PM

When there were loads of us, that would have been funny. I'm the only Jock now, so you're all racists.

You can't be racist to a Scotch person.

The Enigmatic Dr X

If there were a referendum, would Englanders keep the Scots?
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2018, 06:09:50 PM
I just find it really depressing that no-one recognised the quote.   :'(

I recognised it, but didn't have anything to add to the thread - here goes.

Eddie MacPhail.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2018, 06:09:50 PM
I just find it really depressing that no-one recognised the quote.   :'(

I recognised it immediately too, in fairness to me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 May, 2018, 10:11:45 PM

We prefer the term people of no colour.

Tjm86

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 May, 2018, 10:11:45 PM
Quote from: Frank on 20 May, 2018, 09:52:28 PM

When there were loads of us, that would have been funny. I'm the only Jock now, so you're all racists.

What if their ginger?

Hawkmumbler

No, thats a root vegetable.

Tjm86

well, that's a turnip.

The Legendary Shark

Aaand we're back to Trump, the ginger turnip.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Irish Squaxx: I implore you all, get out there tomorrow and vote 'Yes'. Unless of course you somehow think that the current system does anything but increase misery, in which case please stay at home and continue to enjoy the unnecessary suffering of your sisters - for a short while more at least.

Hawkmumbler

Wot the Tordels said, a turning point in your nation is upon you. Do the right thing, vote Yes.

JayzusB.Christ

Of course. I have a nasty feeling it's going to go the wrong way, though maybe I'm suffering from Trump / Brexit PTS.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

It's looking like another major step out of the Stone Age from Ireland. Normally I'm not big on national pride (which all too often involves not liking foreigners and taking credit for things long-dead people did), but I'm allowing myself some today.

Professor Bear

An important referendum on the future of the country and you don't make the stupidest possible choice?  You're doing it wrong.

Also, you are forgetting the lessons of Brexit - which wasn't a legally binding vote, and nor did it have an overwhelming majority: if they want to, the political classes can ignore the result and say it was just an advisory referendum.

IndigoPrime

Brexiters are losing their minds today. "So should Ireland have a second vote, then?" Go for it. I imagine if that happened, the yes vote would only grow higher, and it's already likely to be above super-majority territory. Compare that with Brexit, where extremely cautious estimates put the tipping point back to remain as being in January, purely on demographics, let alone polling swings we've seen in Northern Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and Sunderland.