Main Menu

“Truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Started by The Legendary Shark, 18 March, 2011, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 July, 2011, 12:04:54 AM
What they do to you, do back to them one hundred fold.

There was no link visible on my screen after you wrote: "I can recommend this very highly:"

Damn my webfu is weak, try this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
DDT did a job on me

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 July, 2011, 03:20:53 PM
Czech President Vaclav Klaus, an economist who fought against communism, was warning of the new threats to our freedom he recognises in the doctrine of global warming. ""I feel threatened now, not by global warming -- I don't see any --

Well I flippin' do - in the form of giant spiders. They never used to venture this far north 'til a few years ago, and now the place is crawling with the facehuggin' little sods and they're bitey. My cousin woke up to find one biting his face a couple of years ago and it left a scar! Stuff threats to freedom - what about the arachnid threat? Eh? Eh?

The Legendary Shark

The arachnid threat will be countered with specially trained attack-sparrows.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 July, 2011, 04:48:14 PM

Sparrow numbers are down, no doubt due to em all being shipped of for training
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 July, 2011, 04:48:14 PM

Sparrow-hawks, Ma,am.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Something Fishy

anyone know anything about this?

http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/?p=12

are statins really bad for you?  wondering whether to take mine now.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Something Fishy on 30 July, 2011, 01:49:21 PM

I've been looking into this a bit and it does seem that statins may not be all they're cracked up to be and that high cholesterol may not be as dangerous as we're all led to believe. If it were me I'd say no to these things and just eat better instead. But that's just me, I don't trust the drugs companies to put efficacy and safety before profits.

That said, I need to do more reading on the subject. I also know a couple of nurses, so I'll ask them an' all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 August, 2011, 06:50:03 PM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 30 July, 2011, 01:49:21 PM

I've been looking into this a bit and it does seem that statins may not be all they're cracked up to be and that high cholesterol may not be as dangerous as we're all led to believe. If it were me I'd say no to these things and just eat better instead. But that's just me, I don't trust the drugs companies to put efficacy and safety before profits.

That said, I need to do more reading on the subject. I also know a couple of nurses, so I'll ask them an' all.

Thank you.  In my case a big part of it seems to just be that i have a natural tendency to it. I'm not far off double the "safe level" yet i don't smoke, I drink moderately (12 units or so per week), exercise 5 or 6 times per week and am within my ideal BMI.  We also have a decent diet with just a few biscuits being my main weakness.  I switched to a low chol diet after the last high reading and yet 4 years later it's gone up 2 higher regardless. 

I think it's basically avoid them and risk a very high chance of stroke or heart disease or tale them and risk side effects.

Something Fishy

The opinion of those nurses would be very interest to hear.

could this be a case of big pharma creating something we really shouldn't be using?

The Legendary Shark

You might find this an interesting read: A Doctor's Treasury of Hushed Up Natural Heart Cures and Deadly Deceptions of Popular Heart Treatments (pdf) where I've read statements like: "The science department at the University of California at San Diego describes it: "Cholesterol is a fatty substance produced by every cell in the body that is vital for health. It is a necessary component of all cell membranes. It is the precursor to all steroid hormone (including estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, and vitamin D). It is the leading organic molecule in the brain and is needed for brain function. Blood cholesterol carries antioxidant vitamins to the tissue. The majority of cholesterol in the blood is produced by the liver."  and "Dozens of clinical studies have shown that optimizing nutrition and reducing stress slows and even reverses atherosclerosis. In other words, reversing or slowing endothelial dysfunction must be the cornerstone of therapy."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Something Fishy

Interesting.  Cheers.

My only question would be how i do that without them when there's little i can change?

must admit the risk of depression from them worries me as i get it anyway, though that doesn't mean it has the same cause and will be provoked by them.

I just read another thing that argued both sides and reasoned that if high cholesterol alone is your only risk factor and your life expectancy is more than 10-20 years then you maybe shouldn't take them.

My problem there is it isn't my only factor, My Dad died of heart disease at 65 and Mum has it too, so i also have familial risk. My risk of a cardiac event right now is 1 in 20 already dropping to 1 in 5 in 10 years (and worse if the chol keeps rising) which seems high to me.

I don't really wan to take them but i suspect i'm one of those who might gain more than he risks.

The Legendary Shark

Of course, in the end the decision is yours - but here's an idea: You don't seem to be in imminent danger of keeling over just yet, so why not give the dietary options suggested in that pdf a six month trial before going straight into potentially debilitating drugs?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]