Main Menu

This Werewolf tale

Started by Mangamax, 17 October, 2002, 07:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

Pleased to see a sequel, mainly due to the fact that i remember it for one reason alone.
Through the progs history there have been instances where just a lone frame can be taken from a story and, all by itself, capsulates just what's so darn cool about the character, series or the mag itself. One of my all time favourites is "What's it like down there?" "Grim". Classic. Of course its beaten by "Gaze into the fist of Dredd" but anyone else got a fave?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Oddboy

Final panel in The Final Solution (therefore SPOILER if you haven't read it) -

McNulty's "C'moan, let's go get drunk"
Better set your phaser to stun.

Tommo

"Gaze into the fist of Dredd!"

Slippery PD

"Next time we get our retaliation in first"

So does anyone think GW has been reading the Apocolypse War????

- Yer topical Slippo

Thursday

Oddboy

Well it's not exactly a text-heavy book, now is it?  Just lots of pictures of Americans at war...
Better set your phaser to stun.

Jared Katooie

SPOILER! S P O I L E R ! Some of us don't get it until three days later Y'know!

Wood

My favourite panel ever is this one...http://www.btinternet.com/~johnheronproject/images/jings2.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

Thursday

"Well it's not exactly a text-heavy book, now is it? Just lots of pictures of Americans at war..."

True.  I just really like the image of Dubyah's presidential advisors reading the strips out to him, sound effects and all...

"Uh, 'Blam Bam kaBlam, Ping, Spang, Whanka,' sir"
"Whud you call me, boy?"

Dounreay

Dredd, The Apocalypse War "Request denied".

There was also a pretty cool panel in a SD story a while back, can't remember which one.

Wulf and Alpha are standing over an open grave beside a body. Wulf says something like " Should we say a few words?" Alpha says" Get in there" as he kicks the body into the pit.

Grim but good.

Quirkafleeg

It's a tough choice but I'm gonna for:

Disembodied Mouth: "Your precious Judge Child is Evil! Evil!" *plop*

It may be a bit wrong but that's how I remember it. This has reminded me just how much, so much, of early tooth (and Starlord, and Action) used to really really *freak me out* when I was a nipper.

Mangamax

Forget the title but its got Dredd hanging from a horizontal flagpost and, cause he's passing out through lack of blood and will plummet to his death, stabs himself through the hand into the post to hold him in place.
Now that's DOUBLE hard.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Leigh S

Dounreay - are you sure you dont mean "the undercity" Daily Star Dredd story, where Anderson and Dredd have been led down into the undercity to investigate a "bad evil" by a troggie.  When said Troggie is killed, Anderson wants to bury him. Dredd says to catch him up when shes finished...

Dredd: "You bury him?"

Anderson: "Yeah, well....sort of. I stuck him down a crack in the pavement"

Dredd "Say a prayer for his soul?"

Great character stuff - worth a thousand "Crusade"s....

My favourite is also from Daily Star dredd - Dredd is trying to clear out a Cursed Earth town that has been overrun by criminals.  He brings in new hygiene laws in order to give him an excuse to arrest the bad guys who have decided that the best way to survive Dredds time as deputy sheriff is to sit it out...

Two outlaws are in the bar reading the details of the new law, both muties - one with an entirely fuzz covered face and a lumpy headed one...

Lumpy mutie: "if bad breath an' body odour is illegfal, that means we're all under sentence o' death!"

Fuzz faced mutie: "An' what 'xactly does he mean by excessive facial hair?"

Jim_Campbell

++Dounreay - are you sure you dont mean "the undercity" Daily Star Dredd story ... ++

The Daily Star Dredd's were often great for condensing quintessential Dredd into just a few panels.

There's one (I may be misremembering parts, 'cos I read it reprinted in an annual years ago) that I particularly liked:

Dredd is confronted by some perp hold a gun to a citizen's head and demands that Dredd lay down his weapon or the Cit gets it. Dredd duly takes out the perp with a ricochet and then yells "Go for your gun!" at the hostage, who produces a hidden weapon and gets plugged by JD  ...

Dying Citizen: *Cough* How ... did you know ...?

Dredd: I didn't. Just testing.

Priceless.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.