Main Menu

Prog 2217 In a Crime-Ridden City... ...He is the Law!

Started by McNulty, 01 February, 2021, 02:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Having now read 'Naked City', the thing about the cover is that although it's so brilliant I can't help but think "Yeah, but what if..."!

Dredd's secret? Maybe there are clues. When he first talks to Hallam he's standing outside an eaterie that I presume is called 'Dodgy Doughnuts' (or 'Dodgy Douche'?!). And at the end he's riding past Richard E. Grant block - but I must confess I'm reluctant to Google 'Richard E. Grant naked'...

One nice little thing about the art in 'Naked City' - as opposed to recent incidences in [name of story redacted], it's lovely to see the names of shopfronts actually drawn rather than lettered.

Agreed that this is a sterling prog. I'm laid up right now with a bandaged foot so it's great that I've been able to read it through three or four times. Durham Red is slick and action-packed as ever and Proteus Vex has really found some focus after a slightly sprawling first chapter. I'm totally on board with Hershey going through character evolution - in fact my only misgiving about the strip is that along with Dredd (most recently in 'Desperadlands') it perpetrates the stereotype of South America being chronically and irredeemably corrupt. Not that there isn't truth there, but, you know.

Finally Slaine, which pips Dredd to Top Thrill this week. This is absolutely not the work of a man who's seeing out his penultimate contribution with a load of lazy filler - rather, it's Pat Mills utterly invigorated and brimming with his trademark anger. Gonna miss him.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: norton canes on 05 February, 2021, 03:20:25 PM
..Dredd's secret?..

I know we've all been very excited by the art and story but surely this is the big discussion point from the strip. I suspect he's not packing anything at all, Action Man style.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

TordelBack

Bolt-01

Surely the punch line relates to Dredds dislike of excessive hair?

Woolly

73north

First review for the Prog since the turn of the year - been a nightmare with work in the Operating Theatre
( wearing the PPE takes it out of you , its so bloody hot - and its like being on Nu Earth  )
in Edinburgh taking a lot of my energy , so when the Prog has arrived weeks late or
not until the end of the week ( I am a Subscriber ) just not had the time or energy to review the Prog
- on the plus side the Prog has been great for me , for morale .

Dredd
- jst a sheer delight , as others have said , Dan Cornwell is a fabulous artist
( I spotted him in the 1st issue of Rok of the Reds )

Durham Red
- really good , above average story , with great art - good story as well

Proteus Vex
- simply fantastic , great art which has picked up from Henry Flint and run with it -
the reveal at the end - leaves a nice cliff-hanger .

Slaine - Pat Mills story has been pretty good , with the undertones to the present day
and I like the art .  I understand its not to all tastes , but its miles better than THE ORDER

I just wish ABC Warriors would come out next .

Hershey
- I have really , really enjoyed the second series - great art and tension building up - also the flashbacks in Hershey .  This is great story telling and then we get to see a different Dirty Frank.

so overall 5 out of 5 ( and I did love the Front Cover )

My Prog supply was a nightmare in December and part of January - Xmas Post - what can you expect

stramge times

broodblik

Quote from: 73north on 06 February, 2021, 09:27:40 AM
I just wish ABC Warriors would come out next .

Unfortunately Slaine will be Mills last story in the prog. Not sure if he will return in the future. Apparently Clint Langley is working on a Joe Pineapples series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 06 February, 2021, 08:46:34 AM
Surely the punch line relates to Dredds dislike of excessive hair?

"A judge should be clean, upright...", to selectively quote the man himself. 

Maybe he has a Willsher?

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Sean SD

Very strong prog (and I've finally caught up)
Excellent cover
Damage Report lol

Enjoyed all 5 thrills  :)

My Top 3 for Prog 2217

1st - Judge Dredd - great fun, had me chuckling which I enjoy in Dredd stories
"I hate grav-tubes. I mean really hate them" lol

2nd - Proteus Vex - Enjoying this universe
3rd - Durham Red - definitely a Die Hard type feel to this one

NapalmKev

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 February, 2021, 11:42:43 AM

Wonder what Dredd's [spoiler]secret is?  Big?  Small?  Piercing?
Two?  None?[/spoiler]

I would say small based on nothing but vague speculation.

Being the nigh unstoppable force he is might just be a product of over-compensation on his part, or something. Combine that with the absolutely massive Daystick on the cover and I think that you'll find I've probably read far too much into the story and quite possibly had one too many beers!

All nonsense aside it was the best tale in a very good Prog!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

I had to parse that picture of Dredd's groin for ages before I figured out it was a drone carrying a Hottie passing in front of his knob and not an actual attachment. Cute story though.

First time in a while I've enjoyed the whole prog. This Slaine run is one of the best for a while.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Woolly

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 February, 2021, 11:42:43 AM
Wonder what Dredd's [spoiler]secret is?  Big?  Small?  Piercing?
Two?  [spoiler]

Could be a [spoiler]micro-penis[spoiler]. It'd help explain why he said he 'couldn't' when offered a shag in Guatemala...

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.