Main Menu

Bitterly disappointed with Oxfam

Started by Trout, 18 April, 2003, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

I heard today there was a bundle of comics in my local Oxfam and abandoned the office to go and have a look.

I was WELL pissed off when I saw the prices.
Basic Superman stuff from around 10 years ago, 99p a copy.

Anything with a stiffer cover - including a free comic I actually have, called Motor Mayhem - for ?1.49.

I bought all four issues in the 1991 Mister E miniseries (follow-up to the first Books of Magic thing, the four-parter) for ?1.49 each, because I wanted to read them.

Now, I'm not too well-informed on prices, but these seems pretty damn steep.
It seems someone in Oxfam has thought, "Oh, they're collectable" and priced them more expensive than an actual comics retailer would.

Was I conned?
Anyone else had this trouble with charity shops?
Am I just being stingy?

- Trout

JayzusB.Christ

Welllll.... I never bought comics in Oxfam, but I must say that practically my entire wardrobe originates from it and its counterparts. And I don't look like a tinker, either; I just wear hip and trendy dead man's clothes. So I like Oxfam
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Wils

I think it's more of an Oxfam-specific thing than charity shops in general. The Oxfam in my town is *hideousley* expensive as well (?5 for a PC Format cover disc?!), whereas all the others are the kind of prices you'd expect.

paulvonscott

Oxfam is pretty pricey.  They charge prices for books and comics that would shame a second hand shop and make e-bay blush, plus they don't seem to take condition into account, selling some really ropey tat for extraordinairy prices.  I wouldn't mind but they price indiscriminately, i.e. the person who does it has no idea what they are doing.  

More than happy to give charity shops my money, more than happy to pay a fair amount or even tip the charity box if I've got a bargain.  I rarely buy stuff from Oxfam, or even vist them, because a lot (but not all for some reason) of their book shops really take the piss.  It's usually like walking into a bad overpriced crappy selection poorly organised second hand bookshop.

But for charridy.  I know this sounds a bit mean, but I'd much rather give them money than buy something from them at some stupid price.

DavidXBrunt

Warrington Oxfam has a load of 'Best of's bundled into pairs for ?3.49 a pop. I offered to sort them into sensible pairs (i.e. both parts of two part stories in one bag or two Dredd tales e.t.c.) but they wouldn't let me. So I torched the shop and ran laughing into the sunset.

Trout

I agree. I do lots of charridy work, mate, and I'm perfectly happy to support an organisation like Oxfam.

However, I was pretty damn annoyed at a flagrant attempt to milk anyone who might be interested in something "collectable."

Even if it's a charity shop, it should be charging fair prices.

- Trout

Devons Daddy

tough call here.

they are a charity shop and sell mostly to people on a level of this is good and clean and at price you can afford and also help others in need.

that being said,

should they not price the collectable stuff at price the person who wishes to purchase
(to collect) can afford.for that item.

the comics are not meant for young souls in search of a little entertainment.they are actaully and in my feeling rightfully targeting a market and as such able to help less fortunate souls.

you HRH trout as we have talked off before a memeber of a well know group who does many good deeds for the less fortunate.but not all who venture in oxfam in fact most for that matter are of your character or socail standard.
lets think of the passion 8 ebayers for moment.
with that in mind i think oxfam in this instance are correct.

but your point is valid if looking from a perspective of a lower income youngster who would enjoy to read a really good comic.

that said i will likley upon my return to the uk distubute many of my megazines and less older progs to such units where young minds would enjoy such a gift.
good thread and one that made me think for a moment and come to that decsion.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

almighty mat

Both Oxfam's in Swansea are great, going rate of ?1 for paperbacks, ?4.99 for DVD's (picked up the excellent martial arts/chineses vampires movie Mr Vampire a few weeks ago), ?1.99 for 2000ad annuals, and sometimes less for tpb's-last week I picked up volume 4 of the original Ninja Turtles, the original B'n'W Mirage print for 99p-ace!

karne

My local branch of OXFAM were selling the Tom Baker Doctor Who annuals for between ?12 to ?15. They managed to shift them at that price as well. They were also doing old tatty issues of the Megazine at ?3 a shot as well as a selection of items you can pick up any where else in the area for a quid. Fooking robbery I tell you.

fred

If you think that's bad, you should try the Oxfam on Kings Road, Chelsea. It's cheaper buying new at Gap!

It has to be said though, that Oxfam shops really do take the piss. They have of recent times started to market themselves as the 'posher' charity shop. It's blatant snobbery. It's as if they have adopted the New Labour image and are desperate to be upper-middle class and disassociate themselves from the original ideal of charity shops (providing a cheaper alternative for those who can't afford new).

Now only sad fashion victims bent on looking like some prick from Top of the Pops go to Oxfam.

fred

Quirkafleeg

A relative of mine used to manage an Oxfam shop

The individual shops have to pay there own way... this includes things like rates (although they pay less than a 'proper' shop would) heating lighting etc. They are largely staffed by volunteers but they also have paid staff for management. Pricing policy is up to the shops and it is largly clothes they deal with / have experience with, so unusual stuff may be oddly price (but they do sometimes do deals if you buy in bulk).

Pricing things too cheaply makes it not worth the effort of dealing with them. A hell a lot of time is spent sorting through bags of rubbish left on the shop's doorstep (fave's I've heard about = greasy old frying pan and misc animal bones)

A great deal of the books sold in the shop I know about were bought by a second hand book trader... should the charity make it easier for him to do business/make more profit?