Main Menu

TOP TEN HORROR FILMS

Started by Last of the V8's, 01 September, 2003, 12:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

"Without being arsed to go and check for myself- is it substantially different, or just a new introduction? Not that it matters either way- I tend to buy new King editions if they have so much as a word changed anyway."

Storywise, I believe there are only a few substantial changes, intended to correct what King thought were inconsistencies or to more closely link The Gunslinger in with the later novels.
As Pyroxian said, there's a new introduction that goes some way to explaining why King thought it necessary to revisit & revise the book.
The rest of the alterations change and correct some of the language used.

It's not an expanded edition on the scale of The Stand, but it's certainly worth a look, especially with the new novels coming soon.

Richmond Clements

I'm glad to find other people who have read The Dark Tower series, which I rate as King's best stuff.

I haven't been to his website for a while, but I'm pretty sure the new one is out this autumn, and the next one in the spring or something.

And Blackhouse is bloody awesome.

The Amstor Computer

" I'm pretty sure the new one is out this autumn, and the next one in the spring or something."

The hardback edition of Wolves of the Calla is due on Nov 4th, with illustrations by Berni Wrightson (hurrah!). Book six & seven should be out in summer & autumn 2004.

If any DT fans are looking for an interesting read, have a look for Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance. It's a reference to the DT series that King used while writing & it contains his notes on places, characters, plot points, history, language... think of it as his personal encyclopaedia of The Dark Tower.

paulvonscott

Is he planning a longer version of The Stand?

Art

Its possibly you may also enjoy this Dark Tower-esque story I wrote aaaages ago (94, I believe), which was going to be part of this huge epic occult western with postmodern touches that never really got past the early stages. Bits of it I still like, others, less so.

Link: http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/comics/trump13-1.html" target="_blank">http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/comics/trump13-1.html

The Amstor Computer

"Is he planning a longer version of The Stand?"

He's already written it: it was released in 1990 as "The Stand: Complete & Uncut. The original edition of The Stand was released in 1978 and weighed in at around 800 pages; the revised and expanded edition was about 300 pages longer. The revised edition is pretty much the definitive work, and I suspect - unless you read The Stand during the 80s - it'll be the version you've encountered.

paulvonscott

No, I wondered if he had some more left in him.

Bart Oliver

PVS, did you get that page 6 jpeg I sent the other day?
Obviously you're not a golfer.

paulvonscott

I did, I thought I'd e-mailed you about it, I shall go do so now.

Bolt-01

Dark Tower: I am really enjoying the way he is tying loads of his existing catalogue into this. Apparently in wolves of Calla we get to meet cast from Jerusalems lot and the bloke from Everythings eventual.

Been reading King new since IT, and apart from a few gaps recently, own the lot!

Fave dark Tower: Drawing of the three. Worst: Blaine (shazam, can you feel the magic baby?) the mono.

Blackhouse is also involved with the tower, as well as being a sequel to the amazing Talisman.

Rotts

The Amstor Computer

Rotts:

I'm enjoying the tie-ins as well - I just hope King doesn't take it as far as some fans have suggested, linking *everything* into one "Dark Tower" mythos.

I'm looking forward to finding out what happened to the damned minister from 'Salem's Lot, especially with the revelation that:

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

...he's been a vampire hunter since disappearing from the town.

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Bart Oliver

Rio, thanks for the synopsis- I think you should reallywatch Bad Boy Bubby- won't say anymore don 't want to spo il it for you.

B.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Devons Daddy

was night of the living dead the one with the zombie repeating.

WERE GOIN TO GET YA!

over and over for ages. if it was that was SCARRY. i was 11 years old i think at the time so please make allowances for that.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

jont

Of the top of my head, in no particular order and not even reaching ten:

Ring(Japanese)

Ring(US) worth a mention on it's own for the ferry scene and the inclusion of Brian Cox, one of the most intimading actors alive(which reminds me, I've never seen Manhunter)

Session 9. why havn't I seen this movie on anyone's list yet? An excelent movie, especially if you find out a little about Danver's hoispital before hand. And when we hear "Simon" speak for the first time... heeby jeebies!

Silence of the Lambs. Perhaps too popular to merit cult status, and weakened by a dissmal sequel (wich reminds me, I've never seen Manhunter)

Mulholand Drive, no I don't yet quite understand the plot, but I do understand that the face that controls everything should not be fucked with.

The Gift. Sam Rami, Cate Blanchet and an evil jump scene involving a fiddle. What more could you want?

>>jont

Art

Naked Lunch is getting a DVD release. I'm not sure if it qualifies as horror but its certainly very strange and a little disturbing.