Main Menu

Best 32" LCD Gaming TV?

Started by astrojoe, 01 June, 2010, 10:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrojoe

This is a common question but one which I haven't seen answered: What is the best 32" LCD gaming TV?

Can anyone recommend a TV that is used 80% for gaming / 20% movies & television? The order of priority being 1. Extremely low input lag; 2. Picture quality, 3. Connectivity & sound.

There doesn't seem to be a clear article or blog post about this question. I used to hear good things about LG and Samsung, now I hear Panasonic LCDs are getting better; Sony Bravias all look great but don't seem too hot with input lag.

Anyone really happy with their current TV? I'm not looking for the high-end models, just something in the £250 - 450 price bracket. It's driving me crazy because I want to be sure before I buy it!

Please help!

The Enigmatic Dr X

If you are hooking up a Sky box or other input device (eg Freeview, cable, virgin) then a monitor gets you a better bang for your buck. You don't pay for the TV wiring. Same is true if you can drop speakers.

Failing that, I have a Panasonic Viera for my Xbox.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

I've got a Samsung something or other (it's the LE range I think). It's 37" and was (just) under £500 which was a big selling point. Other than that I did drive myself mental comparing dozens of different makes and models, it seems like whenever you get a concrete review stating Panasonic's the best option you'll then stumble on another one claiming another brand are better and vice versa. It was pretty maddening and in truth once you're going full-HD it's gonna look pretty awesome regardless.

Eventually I just plumped for the Samsung because it's what I had at work at the time and I'd been pretty impressed. Also, the Samsung's have "game mode" which skips a lot of the post-processing to get the image up quicker, thus eliminating a lot of the input latency. I have to say I've never noticed any lag myself with it on, nor have I noticed a significant difference in the picture quality with it off, so for gaming I'm very very happy. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of varied replies though!

nev

I have a 19" Samsung and that works a treat, so I'd reccommend investigating if they have one in the size you want.

astrojoe

I think I'm starting to be swayed by Samsung. Seen some good reviews for the current 32" models. It's annoying that there isn't a website or blog that really covers the input lag when reviewing TVs.

It's also a confidence thing. I'm just looking for someone to say, "Yes, this will be great." before I lay my money down!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: astrojoe on 02 June, 2010, 03:50:29 PM
I think I'm starting to be swayed by Samsung. Seen some good reviews for the current 32" models. It's annoying that there isn't a website or blog that really covers the input lag when reviewing TVs.

It's also a confidence thing. I'm just looking for someone to say, "Yes, this will be great." before I lay my money down!

I know how you feel, I really just wanted on definitive website that said THIS IS THE BEST ONE, but they all have their pros and cons. I actually read a really negative user review of the model I got complaining about smudging during fast moving games. It filled me with fear but I've never seen anything of the sort on it. Eventually after agonizing a friend just put to me that as long as it's a respected brand and it's 1080 then any differences will be pretty inconsequential so not to stress about it, so I stopped stressing and went Samsung!

klute

I would avoid anything by packard bell ive been really let down by them in the past and there screens look good but might as well be made of shit
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Darren Stephens

I have my PS3 on an slightly aging 26" Matsui (crappy brands FTW.) HD LCD TV,cost about 500 quid, which at the time was very cheap for an HD telly and my 360 on a 20" Samsung monitor, which set me back about 160 quid. The Samsungs picture is absolutely gorgeous, where as the matsui' is....not bad either! My point is, any decent modern HDTV will make your games look the biz.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Devons Daddy

using a 42 inch HItachi,

with a HDTV/HDMI cable set up from the 360, and the apple tv, which is marvellous for both. DVD look good through it also.

if that helps, i paid about 450 sterling for it i think
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Noisybast

My girlfriend got me a 50" LG plasma for Christmas last year. It's a thing of rare beauty.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

astrojoe

I took the plunge yesterday and picked up an LG 32" LH3000 model. I'm chuffed with the input lag (or lack of) and the picture and sound look great.

Probably going to spend today getting shot for hanging around looking at textures!  :D

Keef Monkey

Quote from: astrojoe on 06 June, 2010, 09:05:29 AM
I took the plunge yesterday and picked up an LG 32" LH3000 model. I'm chuffed with the input lag (or lack of) and the picture and sound look great.

Probably going to spend today getting shot for hanging around looking at textures!  :D

Ha, totally! For the first couple of months you'll probably have a quick blast through the back catalogue and marvel at how that piddly text you couldn't read previously is now crystal clear! In terms of the leap of visual quality between SD and HD it felt like getting a whole new generation of console to me. Enjoy!

astrojoe

QuoteHa, totally! For the first couple of months you'll probably have a quick blast through the back catalogue and marvel at how that piddly text you couldn't read previously is now crystal clear!

I've so far resisted the urge to put Dead Rising in. I always thought it probably said, "Buy a new TV you cheapskate!"

Ochs

Quote from: astrojoe on 06 June, 2010, 09:05:29 AM

I got one of those... beautiful.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.