Main Menu

Why is 2000AD and the Meg so childish?

Started by GeraldBostock, 10 March, 2004, 02:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamboy

doesn't worry me, i activly seek spoilers some times. a spoiler gives you a taste, the strip gives you the whole meal.

CU Krestel

chimp

"same with Pressbutton. that assassins still standing over their bed!"

That story did get finished in the Eclipse reprints, can't quite remember how it ended but if you want I can dig it out and let you know.
Although I'd agree the Meg is looking very good I'm not sure about the reprints and articles. I love Charley's War and pretty much everything that's been reprinted but I've already got them. I know not everyone still has them and that for some it's the first time they've read them, but for me it's pages that could print new stuff or, if budget is an issue (and I'm sure it is), just drop the reprints all together and lower the price of the Meg. I would happily buy the reprints if they were in a seperate comic, such as the Extreme Editions or even if there was a reprint anthology (which would be great as there's loads of stuff I'd like to see in print again), but when I buy a new comic I'd like it to contain new stories.
The recent run of articles started well with the history of 2000ad then Battle, but a list of all the Dredd stories with not particularly insightful commentary is just filler (and at 9 pages to show about 18 'cases', heavily padded filler) as far as I can tell, and not very original filler either. I know Gordon Rennie joked about it but I would actually like to see an article on some of the old girl's comics, I have a few of them and they're pretty good, there's a really obvious line from the kind of stories in them through to Action and 2000ad, not surprising considering Pat Mills involvement with them all.
Sorry if all this has already been mentioned elsewhere, I am pretty new to the boards.

Wils

That story did get finished in the Eclipse reprints

Aieee! Now I've *got* to get the rest of the Eclipse reprints. That cliffhanger's had me going mental for the last 20 years.

I'd still like to know the score about the possibility of bringing him back is, though. I mentioned it briefly to Mike at Bristol last year, and we both thought it'd be a great thing, especially as he'd fit nicely into the Meg the way it is now. Although I suppose (as usual) there are rights issues that would bugger any return up.

Anyway, here's hoping...

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr_fingers/bristol/images/axel.jpg">

Smiley

IIRC when Andy Diggle was Tharg he asked Steve Moore about doing Pressbutton again, but said he wasn't interested.

That was only hearsay, mind. Some sort of official word would be nice, stop us getting our hopes up at least.

Queen Firey-Bou

shite sorry time pressed no time to read all of above...

remember the world of many youngsters is a dark place nowadays, they've seen x rated gore films by 12 mostly...

But the comic, yes i worry that its stuck in too much of a narrow niche to attract new readers, this is why i get frustrated when any new story attracts volleys of abuse from squaxx. This is why i'm interested to see where Tharg takes it, & i see valkyries as a heading somehwere new. If he only gave the inner core squaxx what they wanted lets face it we'd be stuck with endless rogue trooper or other 70's hero re-runs. It has GOT to stay fresh & new & push boundaries, this does not mean 'fucking shagfest cocksucking gorey bastards'stories, but i think 'trying' to cater for kiddies is a dodgy move. kids arenae daft.

Dudley

'fucking shagfest cocksucking gorey bastards'stories

One or 2 wouldn't hurt, I guess.  Apart from Devlin Waugh, that is.

:)

GeraldBostock

I wouldn't mind a fucking shagfest - if it was integral to the story. Nothing wrong with a shagfest is there?

Queen Firey-Bou

shite.... was that a spoiler logan posted? grud i'm thick, i was wracking my brain which past story it was from... spose i better read this meg & prog then, it always takes me over a week, maybe the thrill levels get warped in the long journey north or sommat?

W. R. Logan

>shite.... was that a spoiler logan posted?

What spoiler?

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

Woolly

Personally, i'd like to see Lawman of the Future resurrected but based on 'proper' Dredd as opposed to the movie version.

The stories in LotF were mostly great, and harked back to the golden era of ideas and action over more adult themed stories. (not to diss 'darker' Dredd stuff, that still rocks!)

It'd be a great starting point for younger squaxx, and a great supplement to 2000ad and the meg.

And the current content of the mags (Dredd at least) coould become just that little bit more darker and edgier.

esoteric ed

- Although I have to say Ed that spoiler was a teensy bit nasty if you hadn't read the meg yet -

I'm sorry about that people, I should have added a spoiler warning :-(

Ed

thrillpowerseeker

This whole 'attract younger readers' aregument is a bit of a non starter in my opinion..they're to busy smoking crack pipes and wacking up low grade H to bother reading comics..what you should be doing is trying to re-attract former readers BACK

T.P.S

GeraldBostock

thrillpowerseeker you have hit the nail on the proverbial. I am a former reader, attracted back after 14 years or so out of simple nostalgia. But I find that while I've grown up over those years, Judge Dredd hasn't. So I'll not renew my subscription when it runs out. Fair enough you may all say - fuck off if you like, WE like the Meg. Well good for you, but Cookie was a pile of childish crap and Master Moves was just plain garbage with kiddies artwork. How is the reader base going to grow then? Old readers coming back will be disappointed with the same old crap they stopped buying the mags for in the first place and new readers aren't interested, too busy smashing my fucking car window and taking smack. I guess I'm a fan of Dredd's POTENTIAL, as I just feel let down by most of the stories I've read recently. I'm an adult, I want to read adult stories, be they books or comics. Not Cookie stories with stupid robots that unbelievably "Eat The Rich" (yes it's even been done before, just ask Lemmy or Aerosmith). Science Fiction isn't inherently childish - check out Ben Bova's "Mars", Arthur C Clarke's "A Fall Of Moondust" or Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series. None of these have graphic violence, swearing or sex, but they still manage to treat the reader like an adult, not a 10 year old and have a gripping, intelligent storyline.
I know I'm fighting a losing battle as you all love the Meg, that's why you post here after all, but who cares? I'm pissed, like a good Scotsman should be!
Cheers and c ye!
Stevie

stront692

a person is still able to buy 2000ad and not agree with what is in it - or not appreciate it if u like

someone who doesnt agree with it is likely to try and impose their opinion on the board in order to change or influence the comic in some way maybe - the funny thing is one u have made your opinion known, if u contribute to the same debate (which tehn becomes an argument), u are doing exactly the same but in reverse

nobody is going to like anything in the prog as its an anthology, maybe if we treated each story like an individual comic and sorta said well did u like that 10 part mini-series, would u buy it again

JimBob

Ah Mr Bostock the books you use as examples are interesting if your pointing out what is adult. Asimov and clarke are both  authors i would describe as writing for bright 12 year olds. The charcterisation is non exsistant: people only exist to advance the plot. They write mechanical tales for people who want their heroes sexless and humourless. I'ld say a lot of Clarkes work is in it's way less adult- he's never written an even vaguely convincing woman- than a lot of whats appeared in recent Megs.