Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Robin Low on 21 March, 2011, 08:52:35 PMOn Sunday I watched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp for the first time, and it's a rather good film. Not at all what I expected it to be about - only partly about war (and not really anti-war or anti-military), but more concerned with growing old, regret, change, and the passing of time.

It takes the long view all right -reminds me of Pal's the Time Machine- and has that great Technicolour/B&W thing goin' on and plenty of nutjob scenes.

Misanthrope

Paranormal Activity 2.

Please don't make me watch again.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

johnnystress

I finally got to see The Searchers

loved it

vzzbux

Just finished watching Bad Taste on you tube. Classic B movie.
"Suck my spinning steel shithead"

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

exilewood

Quote from: johnnystress on 21 March, 2011, 09:23:44 PM
I finally got to see The Searchers

loved it

That's a great film.

I just saw the Scott Pilgrim film. (I know, slow or what? Maybe not in comparison to having just seen The Searchers.) - that's a good film too.

The Legendary Shark

The Big Lebowski.

Because sometimes you just want to spend the evening with an old friend.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Daveycandlish

Flash Gordon. On the big screen. My local independant cinema has had a Mike Hodges retrospective and shown some fantastic films.

Dragged the wife to this after she admitted she had never seen it all the way through (she's not a sci-fi fan) and even she liked it
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Radbacker

didn't quite make it through to the end (late night) and had the chaos of a house move so haven't managed to see the end but watched Dragon Slayer the other day.
Never seen it before had never even heard of it (which is strange because i've seen or at least heard of most 80's fantasy good and bad), suprised that its a Disney movie bit violent (quite a graphic burning early on) and nice bit of 80's PG nudity.  Seems to be played fairly straight and the Stop motion Dragon FX are pretty much as good as they come.  Does anyone know if this was a massive flop as i really am supprised i've never heard or seen it before.

CU Radbacker

Van Dom

Nightmare on Elm Street remake---which bored me silly. How??? I was a huge Freddy fan back in the day, have all the Robert Englund series on DVD, even the crappy Freddy's Dead (they saved the best for last my bollox). Thought the big budget remake would at least keep me interested but it was terribly bad. For a start, the cast  - both the characters and the actors playing them - were the blandest, most uninteresting, lamest collection of horror movie 'teens' I've seen in a long time. The girl playing Nancy was particularly snore-some. I didn't care about any of them as none of them had any personality and just moped around from the get-go. It was like a great big emo-fest. The story itself was basically a plotpoint for plotpoint redo of the original movie, a few changes here or there but essentially the same thing. Iconic moments such as Freddy coming out of the wall over Nancy's bed, sticking his hand up out of the bath water between her legs, Tina (Chris in this film) being dragged up to the ceiling to be killed are re-created....poorly. How a 2010 film can make the ceiling death scene look less visually interesting than a 1984 film is beyond me. This movie put me to sleep and I wasn't even tired. I got as far as the bit where Nancy goes to the hospital to have her dream patterns analysed - another lift from the original. Why do they bother doing these remakes if all they are going to be is a pale imitation of something that already exists and DOESN'T NEED remaking. Why not just throw a shed-load of money at the existing movie, polish it up, add in a few snazzy CGI effects if you want to, and re-release it? Or if they really want to target a new generation who might not be keen to watch an 80s movie, at least come up with a new goddamn script.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Oh dear, I was unaware that this had been remade. Is Englund in it?
You may quote me on that.

Van Dom

Not that I could see. Whoever plays Freddy is atrocious at it. He tries to be a bit Englund-y but doesn't have the charm or charisma (as much charisma as a burnt, scarface monster can have) to pull off any of the "witty" one-liners. Even on Englund's worst outing he was better than this!!! Well, clearly I'm not the target audience for this, its probably aimed at the current 17 year old dating scene, but still, they have to assume when making this kind of movie that people who liked the originals will watch, and that audience should also be considered. I will endeavour to get through the second half of it tonight, as painful as that proposition seems!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Professor Bear

The Elm Street sequels are a matter of diminishing returns and the remake is no exception.  I can at least admire that they stepped back from the outrageous dream scenarios that followed Dream Warriors to make something more intimate and potentially frightening, but otherwise the latest effort is those involved making a franchise rather than a movie, all lip-service to what they think constitutes 'scary' or 'creepy' from other, better films, yet no effort is made to integrate all these elements into a seamless whole.  Still, kudos to those involved for making a worse Elm Street movie than Freddy's Revenge.

Watched Rango on Sunday.  Brilliant kiddie-western.  That cameo might have been a bit forced (though understandable given John Wayne was unavailable), but the mix of the outright surreal with events happening in the 'real' world is a great touch.

Slipstream - not sure what to make of it.  Didn't know why people were doing the things they were doing.  Maybe the movie was an improv thing?
It was not great.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Van Dom on 23 March, 2011, 12:02:20 PM
Not that I could see. Whoever plays Freddy is atrocious at it. He tries to be a bit Englund-y but doesn't have the charm or charisma (as much charisma as a burnt, scarface monster can have) to pull off any of the "witty" one-liners. Even on Englund's worst outing he was better than this!!! Well, clearly I'm not the target audience for this, its probably aimed at the current 17 year old dating scene, but still, they have to assume when making this kind of movie that people who liked the originals will watch, and that audience should also be considered. I will endeavour to get through the second half of it tonight, as painful as that proposition seems!

It's the guy who played Rorschach in Watchmen. As you say, he wasn't very good, despite being awesome as Rorschach. No one could out-Freddy Englund.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Quote from: vzzbux on 21 March, 2011, 10:14:09 PM
Just finished watching Bad Taste on you tube. Classic B movie.
"Suck my spinning steel shithead"

V

He he, one of the best films ever! Very much paid tribute to in Return of the King  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Radbacker

Season of the Witch - I think its quite confused this one, script is a total mess but hey I like Nick Cage and Ron Pearlman so i gave it a go.  The tone swings from weird buddy cop vibe to well I've got no idea what its trying to be by the end but it involved a very unconvincing CGI demon and people reading from a book, weird.

CU Radbacker