Main Menu

UNDT Round 1 - Dark Judges (Villains)

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 July, 2020, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

Death and Fear.

The 4 Dark Judges are all great though. It occurs to me that they are the best 'team' in 2000AD history - they have each others backs, they have never betrayed each other, they are all committed to the same common goal with no infividual rivalries or power struggles.

Bolt-01

Nah, Fire wants the top billing, but lacks the management skills to really see the big picture.

PsychoGoatee

Good discussion in here, these are the opinions I like to read. Can't talk Dark Judges with just anybody.  :D

sheridan

Yes, I know he's always the first one to be knocked out, but he's also always the first in line to be knocked out.  If one of the others was put on guard duty then they'd have been the first one to be dispatched each time as well.

So my first vote goes to Fear (as anybody familiar with the DJs would have guessed by now).

Second place...

Fire's just a flaming skeleton (best said in an Australian accent, à la Jug McKenzie) so I can't vote for him.

Hrmmm, Sidney's got the back story, but I'll have to go for Mortis - perhaps because the comedy elements of De'ath's backstory diminish the character somewhat (though also makes it more rounded).

Short version: Fear and Mortis.

Tomwe

Colin YNWA

The dimension traps are open for two of these dark Judges, but who will be sucked into the void? Well you have today to add your voice as I'll close this one first thing in the morning.

NapalmKev

Fear! Largely due to the Deadworld re-imagining of this character. There's a panel in a previous series of DW with Fear standing on his own and when asked what he is he says - "I'm an idea.". To me this adds an actual Psychological element to the character rather than the 'Gaze into the face of Fear' which just made him seem a bit one-note and ineffectual.

Mortis because he's an excellent character in both versions of the Dark Judges.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

repoman

Mortis and Death

(although I do love what Kek-W has been doing with Fear)

Richard

Mortis and Fire, for reasons given by Greg M.

My phone tried to autocorrect that to "Morris," and so now I'm picturing Judge Mortis wearing a flat cap and walking a whippet.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED - but lets keep the dark thoughts coming.

Well this vote has been fascinating. I assumed - once again quite wrongly - that this would turn into Death plus one. Far from it, far far from it. It transpires that his gang have come into their own and almost taken over the master. Even more interesting is this was almost the greatest comeback story since... well you can Bolland well answer that one yourself. However Fear, so long dragging his heals almost, almost, punched above his weight, but in the end along with Fire he stirred into the fist of defeat.

BUT at the top, again with the very last vote, its turned out having a horse head skull counts for much as Mortis tied YES TIED with Death. You could have knocked me over that I was going to have to call this one, but there we are. Have to be honest this is awkward as until recent times I'd have had these characters left at Necropolis and never got out the box but there we are.

In the end Death has been turned into the pantomine villain, that for so longed made me dislike these characters so much and as Greg M said

Mortis

was the villain in one of the single greatest episodes of any thrill of all time, so he gets top spot. I do worry that I'm only doing this to mix things up but there we have it it

Death

is only runner up in his own race!

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 August, 2020, 07:02:07 AM
...having a horse head skull counts for much...
Sheep. Not you, Colin, him! Come on, we all know this story almost verbatim: "Whilst out walking in the Lake District, Brian Bolland found a sheep's skull and used that as basis for Mortis."

Colin YNWA

That's a BIG sheep isn't it?!? I always wanted it to be goat anyway...

Greg M.

Mortis is probably a Suffolk - a really big sheep. He does not fear the Beast of Craggy Island. Speaking as an Aberdonian, it's gratifying to see at least one sheep make it to the next round - Inspector Raam's chances were never great.