Main Menu

Saint Dolly

Started by CalHab, 05 May, 2021, 09:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

I stood in line in a vast Exhibition Centre earlier this week and got my first vaccination, which was the Moderna shot. The nurse there was very thorough in covering possible side effects and what to watch out for. A really impressive setup.

Anyway, I started to google Moderna when I got home and found that Dolly Parton funded its early research. So, as well as being a great singer, songwriter, performer, funder of literacy programs and all round extremely nice person, she has now saved thousands of lives. Round of applause for Dolly!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/17/dolly-parton-partly-funded-moderna-covid-vaccine-research
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/03/dolly-parton-gets-vaccinated-with-moderna-jab-she-helped-fund

TordelBack

She is an absolute marvel of a human being, a genuine rags-to-riches-to-philanthropist.  And to think that all she was to me in the '70s and '80s was an endless series of boob jokes - and I was a Country fan!

CalHab

I don't think you're alone there! I was amazed when I saw her documentary about her a few years ago. Her life story would seem utterly fantastical if it was fiction.

DrRocka

LOVE that woman's bones, I do!
And she's one hell of a great fingerpicking guitarist too - have a shufty at her playing "coat of many colours" solo on an acoustic. And I thoroughly recommend her album "The Grass Is Blue", where she returned to her bluegrass roots.
A total saint, in my opinion.
Never ever bloody anything ever

maryanddavid

I was dragged to a Dolly concert in Kilkenny a good few years ago, turned out to be one of the best gigs I was ever at!

maryanddavid

I was dragged to a Dolly concert in Kilkenny a good few years ago, turned out to be one of the best gigs I was ever at!

Colin YNWA

Yep Dolly Parton is being a human done very very well.

Dandontdare

She came to Oldham and Rochdale a few years ago as part of her charity giving books to low income children. It was so incongruous to see her on the news with all these little asian kiddies with broad manc accents who clearly had never heard of her but were in awe of her all the same.

Funt Solo

I did that thing where I read the thread title and about three non-consecutive words of random posts and decided that this thread was about a lovable local Glasgow character called "Saint Dolly" who hangs around outside venues playing music for the people in the queue.

Aye, though: Dolly Parton's the right sort.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Every fella in my primary school knew her name. But yeah, she's a top sort.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 05 May, 2021, 08:05:41 PM
Every fella in my primary school knew her name. But yeah, she's a top sort.

Same in my day, but that's when she was namechecked regularly by every TV comedian (eg Ronnie Corbett used to date Dolly Parton, but he had to end it because he couldn't stand the overheads), but nowadays I doubt most primary kids would have heard of her.

Rara Avis