Main Menu

Dundee Comics Day 26-27Oct 2013 - Starblazers! Creators of British Sci-Fi Comics

Started by sbelmont, 22 September, 2013, 10:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbelmont

For those in Cal Hab and surrounding Brit-Cit Sectors, the program for this year's Dundee event has now been announced with the rather fetching strap line: 'Starblazers! Creators of British Science Fiction Comics'.

Its two days this year with an event celebrating Science Fiction Comics (see below) kicking off at 2pm on Saturday 26th Oct. This is followed by the big day on Sunday.

Announced guests include Ian Kennedy, Sydney Jordan, John Ridgway, Robbie Morrison, Simon Fraser, Simon Fur man, Andy Wildman, Kev Hopgood, Tanya Roberts and Montynero (sorry if I have missed any one)

The poster/flyer is up on facebook and features rather nice artwork by Ian Kennedy of Commando, Dan Dare et al fame (did not know if I could repost it here).
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dundee-Comics-Day/208551812519745

Further on the program and a link for getting Tickets (just £15) are available towards the bottom of this link:
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/literarydundee/subject/sunday27thoctober/

The posting for the Sat 26th event states:

'Starblazers! Creators of British Science Fiction Comics:

Comics Day 2013 will celebrate Science Fiction comics and will feature creators who have worked in this genre, from well-established names to new talent. This comes at an important time from British science fiction, with the 50th Anniversary of Dr Who and last year's 35th Anniversary for 2000AD, Britain's premier science fiction comic. Many of this year's guests have worked on Dr Who comics, and for 2000AD, and others have worked for beloved franchises like Transformers and Star Wars. Join us for Dundee Comics Day 2013 and meet the starblazers of British science fiction comics!'

The sessions on Sunday are in the format of Creator talk followed by questions with breaks for signings and the announcement of the Dundee Comics Prize (see separate posting on the board) winners.

Proudhuff

Robbie Morrison and Simon Fraser? Shirley advertising this here on the board as a Dante Double bill (with added Grant M) would garner more interests... as loverly as Stablazers are.

Hmmmm tempted,  however a week afer the Lakes Con, don't think the Mesabib would be too happy.
DDT did a job on me

sbelmont

True, I guess I let my liking of all things Ian Kennedy get the better of me - should have left it up to their PR people. Anyway I have found out a couple of corrections to the info on the ticket site:

The Sat event is actually a Dr Who comics event - the organisers have posted the following to facebook:
2pm: Comics Workshop - Draw Dr.Who / Design a Villian
3pm: Display & Book signing event with Dr.Who comic artists
4pm: Storyboarding the Dr.Who TV Series with Andy Wildman
Steve Parkhouse will also be chatting about his time writing the Dr.Who comic strip...

So hopefully that may wet certain appetites. Unfortunately the listing of the Grant M session is also wrong, it actually happened at last years Comic Day.

Proudhuff

Do'h!
Still, thanks for flagging it up I'd have been striaght up for this if it wasn't for 'The Lakes' gig, previous Dundee things have always been well organised and very informative.
DDT did a job on me