Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Infinity War, which was on Sky Premier last night when I happened to flick over about fifteen minutes in. Have seen it a couple of times already, and wasn't really looking for a third viewing so soon after... But you know what, after giving it five minutes with a "I'll have an early night after that" proviso, I sat through the whole thing.
I think it's just "one of those movies"- like American Werewolf and The Wicker Man (and The Happening, but for entirely other reasons) that is endlessly entertaining. Probably one of my favourite films ever, to be honest.
They really did get everything right, didn't they? Might watch it again tomorrow.
SBT

TordelBack

Indeed! Among its many strengths is the degree to which it fully embraces the corny: for example, Cap's entrance, complete with swelling theme music and convenient shadows to emerge from, should play as predictable and overblown: instead it's exhilarating.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Radbacker on 23 December, 2018, 01:57:13 PM
Bumblebee (...)
the main girl did pretty well good little actress and quite cute too but way too young for me these days l, the real star was definitely Bumble Bee he was so well done, solid and endearing. I liked lots

CU Radbacker

Most people on Twitter who want to fuck the car don't even bother coming up with a pretext, so kudos for putting in the effort.

Mardroid

Saw Bumblebee today.

A bit cheesy in places but a sweet enjoyable film. I loved seeing the G1 designs.

[spoiler]It does appear to create some continuity plot-holes when considering it with the Bay films... but much of those could still be explainable since we don't know what happened in the time period in between. Maybe a sequel will iron those out, but even if it doesn't, it's a good film in its own right. Probably the best in the franchise, although that's not saying much. (That being said, I thought the first film was okay, and don't hate the others that I've seen, although I thought them a bit rubbish.)[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

Santa brought me MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE  - FALLOUT.

Still awesome.

Naturally not as awesome as first time on IMAX but the "single shot" HALO jump is a thing of genuine beauty and ideal showcase for blending digital tricks and real live action in camera lunacy.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rately

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 December, 2018, 11:26:24 AM
Santa brought me MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE  - FALLOUT.

Still awesome.

Naturally not as awesome as first time on IMAX but the "single shot" HALO jump is a thing of genuine beauty and ideal showcase for blending digital tricks and real live action in camera lunacy.

They will be missing a trick if they don't involve Christopher McQuarrie in the next reboot of the Bond movies. Some of the set-pieces in Fallout were absolutely outstanding.

The Enigmatic Dr X

AWAIT FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS

Don't. One of the worst films I have ever suffered. A good idea (family stuck in their house on Christmas by something unknown, which blocks all exits) but it collapses into an anti-thrill ride of logical inchoherence, poor characterisation and just blatant nonsense.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Aquaman

It was visually stunning but it was kinda cheesy in places* and somewhat predictable.

If my description above makes it seem more style over substance, don't let that put you off. A fairly simple story, but it had a good heart and it was loads of fun.

That's three decent films I've seen over the holidays.

* [spoiler]They actually say "once and future king" a couple of times.
[/spoiler]

Dr Feeley Good

I finally watched Infinity War yesterday and absolutely loved it, much better than I expected, think it helped a lot that I had watched Thor, Spiderman and Black Panther all in the last few weeks..

von Boom

Justice League. Much better than I thought it would be given the many negative things I've heard. And coming in at two hours it was nice to feel that it could have been a bit longer rather than 40 minutes too long.

Jim_Campbell

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children: What a difference not having Helena Bonham-Carter in it makes to a Tim Burton movie.

ISTR critics were pretty sniffy about this when it came out, but it feels like Burton in fairly restrained mode, with a decent screenplay by Jane Goldman, an excellent cast, and mercifully free of Danny Elfman recycling his Tim Burton Movie Score for the umpteenth time.

Some of the timey-wimey stuff was a bit muddled (or poorly explained) but I thought this was inventive and entertaining. There are definitely worse ways of passing an evening.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

The trailer made it seem so utterly Burton that even Eva Green couldn't tempt me. But I might give it a go.

Greg M.

Stan and Ollie (2019) Anchored by two absolutely stunning performances from John C Reilly and Steve Coogan, this is a gently funny, sad, extremely touching tale of Laurel and Hardy in their later years. Reilly's Ollie is an easy-going, affable fellow, who struggles to resist temptation; Coogan's Stan is a steelier, more driven figure, the comedy engine of the double act. The plot is slight, but the film as a whole is a moving meditation on the nature of friendship. Also of note are the pair's wives - Nina Arianda, as Laurel's blunt Russian bride, Ida, threatens to steal every scene she's in, whilst Shirley Henderson as Lucille Hardy tends to undercut Ida's boasts in a quieter, more low-key manner. Overall though, a genuinely warm, beautiful movie.

von Boom

Solo: A Star Wars Story. Rambling and stumbling but not awful. Not great though either.

Tiplodocus

ANTMAN AND THE WASP
Nice to have it all back to personal stakes (I take it this was set before but released after Infinity War) and I thought Rudd and Lily have a nice chemistry.

No idea whether it was faithful to any comics or not but it thrilled me and made me laugh.

Job done, surely?

But no... couldn't put finger on it but vaguely unsatisfied at the end.