Started by Cyber-Matt, 09 August, 2013, 11:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Matt

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

CrazyFoxMachine

Really lovely in-depth feature, this. Nice to have it talked about as something that's still current and still has something to say - so often when it's featured on mainstream stuff they never even mention it's "still going" and so you always get this unfortunate reaction from people you tell that you read 2000ad "oh - is that still going?"

STONGER THAN EVER SIR.

Simon Beigh

Agree with CFM on that point. Really positive article, not dwelling on the "childhood memories" aspect, but focusing on the comic today, the audience it appeals to and what it is trying to do to differentiate itself from other mediums, like books and movies.

Good little tour of the offices - interesting to see the archives - and glad they work in as big a mess as I do :)

Dudley

Great feature - don't forget to comment, everyone?  The more clicks and comments, the more likely it is future articles on British comics get commissioned!

Recrewt

Great to see 2000AD getting some recognition. 

Nice to see round the offices and archives also but you guys need to get some more posters on those walls!

SuperSurfer

Yes, but did you read the caption?

Please don't let that be so.  :'(

Recrewt

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 August, 2013, 02:23:15 PM

Which - the one about the number of copies it sells?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Recrewt on 09 August, 2013, 02:40:14 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 August, 2013, 02:23:15 PM

Which - the one about the number of copies it sells?
Yes. Quite shocked if that is true.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 August, 2013, 02:44:25 PM
Yes. Quite shocked if that is true.

I have no idea why... every time one of the 'guess the circulation' threads has come up, the 25,000 figure from the last ABC in 2000 was trotted out and someone (usually me) would point out that Keith Richardson's first ECBT interview referred to a programme of expansion arising from sales "stabilising" meaning that they had clearly fallen, and done so for quite some time, from that 25K figure.

Some back of the envelope maths and a bit of educated guesswork on 15K suggests a tidy per-issue profit even if every copy was sold via the high street retail channel. Given (I believe) a fairly healthy subscriber base who deliver more of the cover price to the Rebellion coffers, that suggests a reasonably solid financial position for the Galaxy's Greatest.

Add to that reports from MOLCH-R of rising sales and brisk sales of the trades and I'm not massively concerned. Take a look at what US monthlies sell some time...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Simon Beigh

I wasn't clear if that circulation was just the paper issues. A growing number of people, me included, subscribe to the digital version (that's not an invitation to have the paper vs digital debate again - please find that other thread if you want to comment on it!) so if that is in addition to the circulation figure - add that to Jim's fag packet numbers and the picture looks even better...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SimeonB on 09 August, 2013, 03:16:19 PM
so if that is in addition to the circulation figure - add that to Jim's fag packet numbers and the picture looks even better...

It's likely the total including digital, but digital sales have a lower overhead (no print costs!) than physical so are — I would imagine — better for Rebellion's coffers than a paper sale, even after the app store cut.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

The fact that 15,000 copies of what is such a top notch product are being sold weekly felt disappointing – but I admit that feeling was not based on facts as yes, it has been a case of guess the circulation.

Indeed, there is more to 2000AD than the prog and thank God for the trades.

12 years on from the ABC quoted figures is a heck of a long time ago and publishing has been thrown up in the air since then. Many previously well established publications have disappeared eg I was shocked to read recently that Newsweek does not exist.

Cheers for putting things into perspective.

Recrewt

15k does seem quite small but like Jim, I'm not too concerned.  I definitely get the impression that trades sales are doing well (some of the case files are constantly being reprinted) and thats where a lot of the money is nowadays - even for the likes of DC/Marvel.

Colin YNWA

Whenever we discuss circulation the main thing that stops me worrying unduly (from my position of utter ignorance and naive optimism) is the fact that there's no let up in the quality of creators on 2000ad itself or the Meg more particularly. While there's enough in the bank to splash out on the occasional Bolland here, or Fabry there, with a dash of McMahons and Bisleys for good measure. Must mean the comic is paying enough to keep the top rate creators it has on its books happy and enough change to drag the A list back every so often. No change in production values and I also assume (naive optimism see) that any increased use of black and white is for artist reasons rather than to cut costs?

The only change of significance is the Meg using more creator owned material. Now is this cost saving, acknowledging a shift in creators desires or a happy combination of both, who knows but its not overly alarming, is keeping some top draw talent associated with the brand and so can only be a good thing. I'd have thought we'd see problems with the Meg long before 2000ad was in danger, though as ever that's said from a position of supreme ignorance.

Whether its the comic selling well, or trade sales bolstering floppies money who knows, if its working and the arrival of digital is opening up new markets and thus new revenue, who cares.

Surely the comic is in rude health... or am I too naively optimistic?