Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

This show is enjoyable fluff. Out of all the characters I like Tilly best. Lorca's a tool.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

It's soooo wrong,  but feels so right! Kids pestering me non-stop to watch this,  now we have to watch all the previous [spoiler]Mirror Universe[/spoiler] episodes... Excellent work, Discovery types.

Do hope they find a way to bring [spoiler]the Doc[/spoiler] back,  one of my favourite characters,  but a good surprise nonetheless.  Bets on who the Emperor is?  Round here Georgiou is the favourite,  with Admiral Cornwall a contender. But I'd love Captain April or even [spoiler]Doctor Culber[/spoiler] himself!

Steve Green

I can't remember if I watched the mirror universe episodes of Enterprise, but looking at the wiki, the novels had [spoiler]Hoshi Sato as Empress with a line of succession for 122 years[/spoiler]

JamesC

Is this supposed to be the same mirror universe as shown in TOS? If so, how come there was an evil Spock as part of the evil Enterprise crew seeing as he's half Vulcan (not sure I've ever seen that episode of TOS, if I have it was years ago)?

TordelBack

Enterprise established Vulcans as a slave/vassal race of the Empire, after Zephram Cohrane[spoiler] pulled a blaster at the Bozeman First Contact and looted their ship[/spoiler]... One of the best opening sequences in Trekstory, but sadly lost in that show's largely unwatched 4th Season. The main thing to remember about[spoiler] the Mirror Universe is that it's fun, rather than any kind of plausible counterfactual: the gag is the same characters on the same ships but with different personalities, despite the hugely different timelines[/spoiler].  Discovery slightly disappoints in its [spoiler]tragic lack of goatees (and crop-tops)[/spoiler].

JamesC

Thanks - I really should get round to watching Enterprise.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 12 January, 2018, 10:04:29 AM

Oh no! You've activated the Bear Signal!

Theblazeuk

Lorca is my favourite character because he's a tool. Nice to see a tool on Star Trek that isn't just a fusspot or Neelix.

[spoiler]Looks like many of the bets about Lt Tyler were correct, eh? Lot of character arc already for a fake person. Gutted about the Doc, bit dubious about in regards to the 'Bury Your Gays' trope  The other half was doomed from the second he injected himself with spacemagic of course, but I feel that's a bit different. Maybe just because this was my favourite couple in SF for a long while and one of the things that made the relatively dark world of Discovery still part of the Utopian tradition of Star Trek.[/spoiler]

This Mirror World is Totally Fun. Captain Killy? Doesn't need a goatee

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 January, 2018, 11:18:36 AM
Lorca is my favourite character because he's a tool. Nice to see a tool on Star Trek that isn't just a fusspot or Neelix.

[spoiler]Looks like many of the bets about Lt Tyler were correct, eh? Lot of character arc already for a fake person. Gutted about the Doc, bit dubious about in regards to the 'Bury Your Gays' trope  The other half was doomed from the second he injected himself with spacemagic of course, but I feel that's a bit different. Maybe just because this was my favourite couple in SF for a long while and one of the things that made the relatively dark world of Discovery still part of the Utopian tradition of Star Trek.[/spoiler]

Sorry, Theblazeuk, I had to remove the TV Tropes link because the spoiler tags don't work properly with embedded links. (I could have simply spoilered the text around the link, but the link itself is a bit of a spoiler...)
-- Mike

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 January, 2018, 10:20:42 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 12 January, 2018, 10:04:29 AM

Oh no! You've activated the Bear Signal!

The first two seasons of Enterprise are the best.  ALL HAIL THE EMPIRE.

TordelBack

[spoiler]Looks like many of the bets about Lt Tyler were correct, eh? Lot of character arc already for a fake person. [/spoiler]

I think the thing is that Tyler i[spoiler]s a real person - the original (captured and now dead) Tyler's personality has been 'grafted' on over Voq's, presumably along with his face etc. Now both Tyler and Voq share a mind and a body. So he's sort of a grimdark Discovery version of Tuvix[/spoiler]. 

Mardroid

Great new episode!

[spoiler]Concerning Tyler, considering his alteration was surgical, that shouldn't effect a DNA scan, right? I suppose they must have done some DNA resequencing too...I suppose his alteration is more extensive than that spy underwent from The Trouble with Tribbles where a tricorder scan showed him for what he was, after that tribble went barmy. Come to think of it, I wonder how a tribble would react to Tyler... . [ \spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 January, 2018, 05:34:01 AM
Great new episode!

[spoiler]Concerning Tyler, considering his alteration was surgical, that shouldn't effect a DNA scan, right? I suppose they must have done some DNA resequencing too...I suppose his alteration is more extensive than that spy underwent from The Trouble with Tribbles where a tricorder scan showed him for what he was, after that tribble went barmy. Come to think of it, I wonder how a tribble would react to Tyler... . [ \spoiler]

Chekov's Tribble.

Steve Green

[spoiler]Seem to recall the actor saying you haven't seen the last of the doc.

Since they're in the mirror universe his alternate is likely knocking around.

Although that might be a bit having your cake and eating it regarding that trope.

[/spoiler]

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2018, 07:10:31 PMBets on who the Emperor is? 

Harry Mudd.

God only knows what's really going on here. It's a Mirror Universe, but is it the Mirror Universe, the one we saw in TOS, DS9 and E? Having established the existence of multiple parallel universes, I'm going to presume that the prime 'verse of Discovery is not the 'verse of TOS, TNG and so forth, on the basis of all the design and technology that doesn't match. As a geek I'm kind of fond of parallel universes, but here I guess it's going to be used as a lazy justification for Discovery not fitting coherently with previously established Trek.

Overall, it's kind of fun and I like several of the characters, but because it does feel like it's from a parallel universe I don't have so much emotional investment.

Regards,

Robin