Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

Just discovered, thanks to a top BBC4 documentary, the wonderful Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and been completely blown away. The woman could play guitar like a demon, and lived a more rock n roll lifestyle than Lemmy, all in the 1930's. It's repeated at midnight, so I urge you to have a gander.
I'd never heard of her before, and I'm a sodding music teacher! Eeep.
Never ever bloody anything ever

exilewood

Sister Rosetta is fantastic! Wish I'd caught the TV programme. When she plays that big, 3 pick-up, white SG you can hear where Chuck Berry got his licks. I'd also recommend anyone to give a listen to any of those old blues guys.

Zarjazzer

Watching it now  on iplayer. Incredible already. the way she runs up and down the neck picking at a billion miles an hour.Wow. :o :o :o
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tiplodocus

Saint Julian - An Elegant Chaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV_BP9h1T6Q

"My big fear is to dig it at last and have it taken away..."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Zarjazzer

Only just found this artist.Eilen Jewell. Mashed up folk,blues,country and jazz I just found it amazing.

http://www.eilenjewell.com/

I did do a search on the thread but could see nothing but maybe some of ye know of her already.

And her guitarist uses the guitar of my dreams a Red Gretsch firebird. :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

exilewood

SuperSurfer

Hüsker Dü 'Warehouse: Songs and stories' and 'Candy Apple Grey' (only because that is pretty much all there is on Spotify.)

Some amazing tracks there. Hadn't played any of that for a good 15 years or so.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 February, 2011, 02:52:04 AM
Hüsker Dü 'Warehouse: Songs and stories'

That's a great record right there. Though I'm going to be a bit controversial and say I always preferred the Bob Mould's more mainstream work with Sugar

johnnystress

Very well done.Humble Pie, late Faces , Black Crows tradition

The only thing against them..like every band is 'current trends'

I wish them all the best..i like proper bands me,
thats why i like them

has anyone mentioned Jim Jones Review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVClmEKbm0I

exilewood

Oh. That's a dirty rock & roll band, right there.

I likes it.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: johnnystress on 19 February, 2011, 03:24:34 AM
Very well done.Humble Pie, late Faces , Black Crows tradition

The only thing against them..like every band is 'current trends'

I wish them all the best..i like proper bands me,
thats why i like them

has anyone mentioned Jim Jones Review?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVClmEKbm0I

Holy crap what a fabulous fucking riot. Genius! The best antidote to x-factor , celeb pap songs and associated media drivel.

Woolly

I, Cosh

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 February, 2011, 02:52:04 AM
Hüsker Dü 'Warehouse: Songs and stories' and 'Candy Apple Grey' (only because that is pretty much all there is on Spotify.)
Stupid SST! One of the great woes of modern life is looking up a band on Spotify only to find the album you really wanted to hear is on a record label which hasn't signed up.

Warehouse is, unsurprisingly, a bit of a ragbag but I have a lot of time for Candy Apple Grey despite how unrepresentative it is. Ultimately, you can't beat New Day Rising.
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 February, 2011, 08:18:25 AM
Though I'm going to be a bit controversial and say I always preferred the Bob Mould's more mainstream work with Sugar.
Sugar were alright but I don't really remember much beyond the second album. If you've never heard it, I thought Grant Hart's first solo album - Intolerance - was a fabulous record and quite different from his previous stuff. Lots of piano, organ and moothie. It's a pity how dreadful the Nova Mob album was.

Other drummers who have released surprisingly good solo albums include Jimmy Chamberlin.

As for discovered music, it's been literate songs for me of late. Ten years late to the party, I finally got The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs and what a marvellous record it is. Pretty much every track has a nice couplet or something that makes you smile, although the whole package may be too arch for some. The Book of Love (is long and boring)

Edinburgh's own Withered Hand are pretty good too. Love in the Time of Ecstacy
We never really die.