Main Menu

Prog 2099 - Unleash Hell!

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 September, 2018, 10:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its all about those endings this week...

... well aside from a very effect Future Shock, from new blood, that for me was actually a better Terror Tale, but we're splitting hairs there.

The Dredd end frustrated me. Stuff happened, things were revealed, Dredd left some folks behind that make me want to re-read this and to check but I'm sure there should have been more arresting. It lacked power and felt rushed.

Survival Geeks was... okay, kinda fun, but there's no real bite to this strip so its ending aren't ever going to have that much impact.

Mech-wotsits might have been a pretty good ending but I'm not that invested and this needs a re-read.

So we're left to the end to get a satisfying ending. The Order plays a blinder again just great stuff. It felt both incredibly open, but almost as if it was being wrapped up. As if it was that kinda there is so much more to tell, but this is all you'll see... I hope I'm wrong and this one is back soon as its a delight.

So for me a pretty weak Prog but then if we look what we'll get over the next 7 days I suspect this will be more than made up for...

Colin YNWA

HA! and as I typed Richard beat me to it.

Can I get a merge please...

Proudhuff

I've got to totally disagree, YMCA   ;)
Dredd finished magnificently for me with tons of questions lining up and future repercussions resignating through out the Dreddverse.
survival geeks is grumpy old GRennie droid at the top of his game.. fully expect to loss him to the big two shortly.
Didn't  read the other two and the Terror tale can wait til after Megazize 400!

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Arh not here, not here, Richard agrees with you it seems and got there about 4 minutes before me!

moly

Really enjoyed this issue, dredd was the stand out with a great ending which might lead to further sons of booth stories in the future, also I might be in the minority but loving survival geeks and long may it continue, looking forward to next week 2100

TordelBack

I'm just feeling bad for Richard at this point.

Magnetica

I was disappointed with the ending of Dredd. The Stupid gun made absolutely no difference to the plot. If they had used an ordinary gun it would have been the same outcome.

Colin YNWA

IndigoPrime

Dredd: I wasn't entire sure what the journo was on about regarding justice. Did he suddenly feel empathy for the Sons of Booth or the judges? I thought it was fine overall, if a bit inconsequential.

Survival Geeks is always welcome from a variety and pacing standpoint, and the art is great. I often find it veers dangerously close to being problematic from a gender/sexism standpoint, and seemingly usually aims to get around this by way of subversion or "stupid blokes are being stupid blokes". I know Rennie's not, say, a Big Bang Theory writer, but there's something that niggles with me about this strip in that area.

The Order: I need to re-read this from episode one, because I've no idea what the hell's going on now, nor even what the motivations and aims are of the various protagonists. I feel a bit sorry for Armoured Gideon, too. It would have been quite fun to have him just stomp about the place yelling ANNIHILATE, like an angry metal Groot.

Mechastopheles: lovely art. As for the strip itself, I'm not really sure what I think of this. I don't think I'd mind if it comes back and gets expanded on, but it seems have have concluded well enough as well.

Future Shock: That was appropriately nasty. As noted earlier, that felt equally like it would have worked as a Terror Tale. But, well, yikes. Good stuff. Also: horrible stuff, in the sense of what was happening.

Roll on 2100!

Tjm86

The Future Shock has to be the best one we've seen in a long time.  A truly disturbing and twisty take on a couple of standard Sci Fi tropes.  I know it's hard to write a good FS and a lot of the time it's less about shocking and more about delivering a gruesome pun but this one definitely deserves a couple of reads.

As for next week's line up.  If the postie has trouble delivering it then I think I might end up seriously throwing teddies out of the pram!   :o

Magnetica

I was a bit disappointed over all with the Prog.

Dredd I have already commented on wrt to the Stupid Gun. Dredd leaving Linus in the Cursed Earth also seemed strange. Surely he should have sentenced him the cubes.

Survival Geeks and Mechastopheles both just seemed to end without any real point to them. What Sam did to the Final Girls didn't sit too well with me.

The Order managed to lose me right at the end. Will have to go back over it again

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 September, 2018, 12:10:33 PM
Dredd leaving Linus in the Cursed Earth also seemed strange

Not sure this made much sense either, but there's precedent:

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Gotta say it's a real thrill to see two local Belfast lads and Belfast Sector 13 group members: Mark McCann and Adam Brown having a future shock printed this week.  Adam has done two covers recently also for the Megazine. Well done guys. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead