It's the World Cup: Sam Slade '82 v Big Dave '94

Started by ZenArcade, 15 June, 2014, 12:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Trout

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 June, 2014, 07:27:05 PM
I remember the Sam Slade story, 32 years ago. I cannot recall the Big Dave story.
Snap. In general, I find Big Dave a lot funnier than Robo Hunter but I have no recollection of the story so it's got to be Football Crazy.

Of course, Billy the Fish is better than either:
"Great on the ball mathematics from the balding academic!"
"Yes Geoff, he even incorporated a formula to send the keeper the wrong way."
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2014, 11:20:43 AM
In general, I find Big Dave a lot funnier than Robo Hunter but I have no recollection of the story

You don't remember the zombie corpse of Bobby Moore taking to the world cup stage with three lions (and a touch of brain matter) on his shirt once more?

ZenArcade

Ok I'm Irish and a life-long fan of Uraguayan football, but hope England do well tonight. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Grant Goggans

Help me, Hive Mind!

So Jürgen Klinsmann is coaching the American team.  I have a distant memory that I should know him from a reference in 2000 AD, but I can't remember it.  Does anybody recall one of the script droids making a cheeky reference to him that would not have made sense to somebody who doesn't follow your football much, or ever?

Frank

Klinsmann enjoyed a reputation for diving * during his time with Spurs (1994-1995 and 1997-1998), so I assume the reference would feature in a story from either of those periods, perhaps featuring a submarine or parachuting.

* pretending to have been tackled to the ground

Greg M.

Could be totally wrong, but might it have been in Bix Barton? Klinsmann was, as Sauchie notes, known for diving excessively when tackled, and I have a suspicion Pete Milligan might have made reference to that.

ZenArcade

Need to go over old progs, Greg could be right. Z bad luck England, that Suarez is something else. Total footballer.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 19 June, 2014, 09:57:44 PM
Could be totally wrong, but might it have been in Bix Barton? Klinsmann was, as Sauchie notes, known for diving excessively when tackled, and I have a suspicion Pete Milligan might have made reference to that

Now you say that, Greg, I know instinctively that you're right. Can't remember the specific line or context though.

Grant Goggans

Thanks!  Knowing his dates with the Spurs meant that if it was Barton, it could only be "Nigel, the Napoleon of East Finchley," and there it is in part 4 in prog 915, when Bix fakes his death.

Frank

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 20 June, 2014, 12:37:33 AM
Thanks!  Knowing his dates with the Spurs meant that if it was Barton, it could only be "Nigel, the Napoleon of East Finchley," and there it is in part 4 in prog 915, when Bix fakes his death

If only there were some way of joining our tails together, we could form a Rat King.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Islamic State of Iraq and Sauchie on 20 June, 2014, 06:45:16 AM
Quote from: Grant Goggans on 20 June, 2014, 12:37:33 AM
Thanks!  Knowing his dates with the Spurs meant that if it was Barton, it could only be "Nigel, the Napoleon of East Finchley," and there it is in part 4 in prog 915, when Bix fakes his death

If only there were some way of joining our tails together, we could form a Rat King hivemind.

FTFY
Lock up your spoons!