Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

I was up late the other night and I saw that video. WOW.  :o
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Only heard about it today.

Not only is she named after a Twoth character (kinda) but she's also BARKING MAD.  Just like the strip she shares her name with.  I don't think her next album can afford NOT to feature a song where she bellows her name repeatedly throughout.

I like her.  She has the courage to be insane.  That's rare. 

Haven't seen the video, I'm not given to watching such things I'm afraid.  Should I break the habit of a lifetime?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

QuoteShould I break the habit of a lifetime?

You should possibly consider it. It's very odd, and there aren't enough Teknosaurs, but it makes me wish I was 20 years younger, good looking, charming, rich and fluent in Spanish (mind you, I wish for all that most mornings).

House of Usher

Settle down with a nice cup of hot coffee and a biscuit while I show my age...

Dude, it was amazing! I was working late and sodding about on the laptop with the TV just, you know, on. There had been a documentary on with Dawn Porter naked again, and I wouldn't want to have missed that, and afterwards I couldn't be bothered to check the Radio Times so I left it on Channel 4 +1.

I didn't pay much attention to what was on in between, but eventually 4Music's Top 20 put in an appearance. I didn't even know there were still chart music shows after the demise of The Chart Show and Top of the Pops and Ready Steady Go! To start with I scoffed at all the cloth-eared identikit robot music - the gullible kids will swallow any old soulless, geneticially engineered, computer-generated synth-pop - but before long had it worked its spell on me! Some of it started to work on areas of the brain I didn't even know I had. Not the bits that process meaning, but the bits that presumably click to MDMA if one is so inclined to dabble, which I'm not - and I've no idea what I'm talking about! But no wonder the vacuous, empty-headed youth of today are getting so immersed in 21st century disposable consumerism and rejecting comprehension in favour of visceral experience. Why hear the music and process meaning when you can simply feel it instead? The advent of video meant the experience of listening to music became inextricably bound up with the visual imagery used in its marketing. It seems the next stage in pop's evolution is to leave both music and emotion behind and become a medium for experiencing physical sensation. It's like the 'feelies' in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, except the medium is audio not visual.

No doubt Marshall McCluhan wouldn't have been at all surprised at this development. His famous phrase 'the medium is the message' communicated a simple but startlingly original idea: that no medium is about its content, it's about the form in which the content is transmitted. Television isn't about EastEnders, it's about television.

Pop music has now discarded the media of the CD and the radio. It was never about music. It was always about thrusting hips. Now, finally, it has done away with the music altogether, and thrusting hips is both the medium and the message. And boy, do you ever feel it. Right in the back of your head. (Pssst! You're doing it wrong!)
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

QuoteNow, finally, it has done away with the music altogether, and thrusting hips is both the medium and the message.

The medium is the massage?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 27 September, 2009, 09:32:20 PM
Haven't seen the video, I'm not given to watching such things I'm afraid.  Should I break the habit of a lifetime?

That depends if you like ladies' hips and have a plentiful supply of tissues.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Shakira is ace because of that song that goes: "For you, I would give up everything I own and flee to a Communist country."

And being an extremely sexy lady. She sometimes moves in a very unnerving way. Like a tiny robot disco-spider.
We never really die.

House of Usher

I've just remembered the disarmingly frank explanation of washer-up Oleg in the sleeper hit and stupidly sabotaged BBC3 comedy 'Pulling', in the scene where he explains to Louise his preference for thumping hardcore on his headphones.

"I like music I can feel in my cock" - words to that effect.  :-\
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

I recall a conversation in a site hut where a very intelligent fellow was humming 'Hips Don't Lie' one tea-break, only to be rounded on by the ubiquitous self-appointed musical expert:

"For fecks sake man, what could you possibly like about Shakira?". 
"I'm not gay".

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 September, 2009, 11:30:34 AM
Shakira is ace because of that song that goes: "For you, I would give up everything I own and flee to a Communist country."

Thats dedication for you !

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 28 September, 2009, 03:04:20 PM

The very definition of horror to the vacuous, empty-headed youth of today, immersed as they are in 21st century disposable consumerism and rejecting comprehension in favour of visceral experience. The very definition of horror at least, that is, to the small section of said youth that has actually heard of communism. So lacking in imagination. They've probably never even heard of Letter to Brezhnev either, let alone seen in. I'll bet they've never fallen in love with a Russian sailor either.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

QuoteI'll bet they've never fallen in love with a Russian sailor either.

Not like Billy Bragg.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 28 September, 2009, 03:26:01 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 28 September, 2009, 03:04:20 PM

The very definition of horror to the vacuous, empty-headed youth of today, immersed as they are in 21st century disposable consumerism and rejecting comprehension in favour of visceral experience. The very definition of horror at least, that is, to the small section of said youth that has actually heard of communism. So lacking in imagination. They've probably never even heard of Letter to Brezhnev either, let alone seen in. I'll bet they've never fallen in love with a Russian sailor either.

You would have to give up everything you own or spend it all before you fled to a Communmist country otherwise if you took everything with you the state would confiscate/steal it all off you anyway.

I would change the next verse of that song or add to it "I would do anything for you/love but i wont do that !"
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Banners

Why do clients constantly send logos embedded in Word documents - from where it's a pain to get the images out cleanly. Why do they think this step of putting a logo into a Word document is necessary and don't just send the images on their own?

AIEEEE!

M@