Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

My Mam smoked like a trooper (perhaps that's why she's had numerous strokes) and my Dad smoked occasionaly when I was young.
I remember sitting on the settee and my Mam sitting in the arm chair and watching as the smoke travelled across the room towards my young fit lungs. I have never smoked and never wanted to (if anything I'd just think of the monetary waste, even at that age).
I must admit I don't mind the smell of pipe smoke, weird or what!

House of Usher

When I was a kid in the seventies every single adult I knew, without exception, smoked. It was just normal. Like in Life on Mars, every indoor space that wasn't school (except the reaking, stale-fags-smelling staff room) which I knew as a child was filled with a choking fog of smoke. At my grandmother's house at the weekend there were often four adults in the same room puffing away.

Cigarettes held no mystique or allure for me and I never acquired the habit.
STRIKE !!!

worldshown

Interesting to see peoples experiences regarding smoking.

Both my parents smoked but never drank, which probably explains why I drink but don't smoke.

My mother even smoked whilst carrying my sister and myself. Both of us apparently kicked her until she stopped.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just been looking at some of the forum members stats and I can't believe that some of you don't even post in the wee hours. What's up with you, yes you know who you are, with your 01:00 to 07:00 I won't post on the site, as I'm in bed rubbish, come on this is a 24 hour forum you know!

Bollocks, I'm off to bed then ::)

I, Cosh

The lad in WH Smiths who knows not to bother trying to flog me a special offer Galaxy or bag of Haribo seems to have disappeared so every morning I have to fix someone new with my Look of Withering Disdain (tm)
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

vzzbux

As a 5 year old I used to get 20 B&H for my day. Oh how times have changed. His hacking and spluttering put me off ciggies for life. My dads final years would have been a great advert for a non smoking campain. He was once mistaken for my gran's husband. He was 55 at the time and she was about 75.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

uncle fester

I found out yesterday that my three year old nephew is really getting into art and his favourite character at the moment is Spiderman. So when sis asked me to draw him a picture for his wall, I thought 'No problem' (Passing the mantle down the generations and all that)

So, suitable heroic pose, webs a-slingin', proportions vaguely correct and now all I need is....

...Could I remember how his costume looked? Could I? Or even the chest emblem? Sure I knew there were varying degrees of blue and red but that was it. To my eternal shame, I had to google image search spiderman on my phone somewhat discreetly and then realised I'd got the eyes wrong too.

Well I was always going to submit work to DC anyway...  :-\

SmallBlueThing

forgetting spidey?? "you have forgotten the face of your father!" :-/ sbt

uncle fester

:-[

Bad, isn't it? Still If I can't share these things with anonymous folk in the ether, then who can I share it with?

And now I have Suzanne Vega stuck in my head again. Not exactly an impediment, but stuck, nonetheless.

TordelBack

QuoteCould I remember how his costume looked? Could I? Or even the chest emblem? Sure I knew there were varying degrees of blue and red but that was it.

Wow, say what you like about Mephisto, but when makes a deal, he really follows through on his part.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: uncle fester on 08 October, 2009, 01:45:41 PM

And now I have Suzanne Vega stuck in my head again. Not exactly an impediment, but stuck, nonetheless.

Nowt wrong with a bit of Vega I actually use a couple of her songs when I'm trying to dislodge an annoying song from my head.

Dandontdare

Lost my keys the other day. Retraced my steps in the pissing rain and rang work but no luck. Had to shelter in the pub (watching Emmerdale & Eastenders at full volume *shudder*)till my flatmate got home at 8 o'clock. I have a spare door key but it'll take a week to get a new electric fob for the front door, and so I'm just annoying each of my neighbours in turn by making them buzz me in.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 October, 2009, 06:04:02 PM
Lost my keys the other day. Retraced my steps in the pissing rain and rang work but no luck. Had to shelter in the pub (watching Emmerdale & Eastenders at full volume *shudder*)till my flatmate got home at 8 o'clock. I have a spare door key but it'll take a week to get a new electric fob for the front door, and so I'm just annoying each of my neighbours in turn by making them buzz me in.

Sounds like a nightmare.

I hate television in pubs.If a pub has a TV in it then i wont drink in it.Its always an indication of a shite drinking establishment.

What kind of emptyheads need to watch TV in a pub ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 08 October, 2009, 06:53:18 PM
What kind of emptyheads need to watch TV in a pub ?

An alcoholic who can't afford a tv!