Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I've just started playing Metroid Fusion for the first time. I'm playing it through the GameBoy Player on my lovely old Philips CRT TV. When I turned it on it absolutely blew me away. The presentation is beautiful and it looks and sounds incredible on the big telly.
Surprisingly, I'd never even seen this game running before. I'm a fan of Super Metroid and enjoyed the first Metroid Prime but other than that the series has remained on the periphery for me for some reason.
I really love the way they've designed this one for the handheld - making it playable in short chunks and relying less on (sometimes quite time-consuming)exploration. I'm not too far into it but I'm enjoying it so much that I've ordered a copy of Zero Mission as a follow up.

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 25 September, 2020, 12:04:35 PM
I've just started playing Metroid Fusion for the first time. I'm playing it through the GameBoy Player on my lovely old Philips CRT TV. When I turned it on it absolutely blew me away. The presentation is beautiful and it looks and sounds incredible on the big telly.

Haven't played it since the GBA days, but agree that Metroid Fusion was an underrated masterpiece.

wedgeski

Metroid Fusion was my first experience of 2D Metroid. I loved every second of it!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

HALO: The Master Chief Collection on PC

I got this with Steam vouchers at Christmas, when only Reach was available. Since then they have been regularly releasing all the games in chronological order, and we're at ODST now. Those two games I mentioned, I hadn't played before, so I thought they'd make good bookends to my thoughts on the series as a whole.

Reach has its ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it. The bits I didn't enjoy was the gaming leaning into spectacle over fun. There's a bit with a space fighter battle, my enthusiasm for which waned after just a minute or two. I play Halo to get up in the faces of freaky alien weirdos with my death cannon, not spray lazers in the vague direction of  distant HUD highlighted dots. The rest is mostly fun old fashioned running and gunning. The elites were tougher then they had been in Halo 3&4, but the brutes must've been to anger management or something.

Halo: Combat Evolved
Not much to say that wouldn't be redundant after almost two decades. Shooty fun, a bit too much back-tracking and a welcome left turn into survival horror in the middle.

Halo 2 is hard as balls. There are bits that require some good luck and this game is usually quite unfair.

It's my favourite.

Halo 3 is my least favourite. In fact I'd played it only once previously. When it came out, neither I nor my good friend (lets call him Steve, with whom I had finished co-op campaigns of the previous games on legendary) had an Xbox 360. We had been drinking since lunchtime the day after the midnight release. A third friend called at about 8pm and asked if we would like to come around to his gaff and help him finish the fight. Stumbling into his flat around 9pm, our noses were assaulted by the smell of the 5 gamers who had been banging their heads against this game on and off since the previous midnight. Stevie and I Roflstomped the whole game by 1am.

TLDR: Halo 3 was disappointingly easy.

It was clear the campaign had suffered for the newfangled online multiplayer. Given they had roughly a million users online constantly for a good long time, it was probably worth it for Microsoft and Bungie.

This is why Halo 3: ODST surprised me. It's a short game, just a DLC/expansion pack?. I think dense might be a better description. It starts off slowly, with levels that look more like something out of Quake:Arena than the actual futuristic city its supposed to be. It quickly ramps up though, and it's slightly more challenging than 3. This may be down to your character not being cybernetic super soldier Halo guy. I can see myself dipping into this one a lot, with its compact levels, to sate my hatred for freaky alien weirdos.

Just Halo 4 to be released to complete the collection now. This game kind of just slid off my brain. I have no lasting memories of this, probably because at the time I was living with 3 other lads in a haze of alcohol and drug smoke.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.
You may quote me on that.

RocketMother

Panel de Pon for the SNES emulator thingy on the Switch.

I never had a SNES growing up so I completely missed out on this puzzle gaming gem. For me it's more addictive than Tetris. Not something you want to pick up if you've got 5 mins to kill...my average play time is 30 mins a round. I play a few boards and there goes my entire afternoon... wicked fun though.

If you haven't tried it and you have a switch I suggest giving it a play (well if you like puzzle games anyway)

repoman

I'll check that out.  I love Tetris-y games (but not Tetris, weirdly enough).

I'm still battering this Kingdoms of Amalur remake.  It's so good.

shaolin_monkey

Do we have a thread for PSVR games? Couldn't see one.

Anyway, Star Wars Squadrons - fun story mode, decent multiplayer, though it could use another couple of game modes and maps.

But my god, the VR is just AMAZING! I was really concerned it would make me motion sick, but no, it works brilliantly. It is so great to be sat in the cockpit of an XWing or TIE Fighter, and to be able to look around at controls you know so well from the films, and to be able to see 360 out of the cockpit windows - even lean over left and right to get a better view of the space combat!

The story mode has a such a great series of scenarios and settings, such as asteroid fields, Kessel Run style dangers, abandoned shipyards, all with a wide variety of ships and space stations. These look great on a decent TV but are utterly spectacular in 3D, once you've forgiven the usual PSVR shortcomings, such as the definition.

Fleet Battle is the key MP mode, which are sited in three areas, each providing different challenges re navigating about them. Facing a Star Destroyer is as epic as it sounds! It would really benefit from five people who know each other working as a squadron, each with a different class of ship, and each ship set up with particular custom equipment depending on play style. I personally favour a support ship that plants homing mines and autoturrets, 'cos I'm an old man whose twitch reflex is long gone. I can't shoot for shit.

So there's lots to see and do, it is spectacular in VR, and it is also just a hell of a lot of fun!

Krakajac

In relation to playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR...are you playing on a plain ol' PS4 or a Pro?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Krakajac on 06 October, 2020, 01:10:56 PM
In relation to playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR...are you playing on a plain ol' PS4 or a Pro?

On a Pro. I'm not sure what the difference would be on PSVR on the old system - lower rez possibly?

Apestrife

Managed to beat Donkey Kong Country 2 yesterday. Loved that game as a kid, at least the graphics and the soundtrack. I only played it now and then at friends houses, and never got far. Alot of times I just wanted to listen to the tunes, like for example this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQx91RR3Y8o

So finishing it. Felt like "Iron Crotch Kung Fu" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2c_-9kIjyU

It's a really hard game, and things doesn't become easier when you're constantly needed to make pixel perfect jumps over enemies which have far from pixel perfect hit boxes. Almost drove over the edge at times. Especially on levels you need to be speedy riding a parrot with the two monkies hanging from it's feet.

So while the gameplay wasn't my favorite (I much prefer DKC1 and the 2.5D games by Retro) I came to like how varied the game is. Almost every level comes up with something new (and often infuriating) gimmick or gameplay element.

If this sounds like an interesting game then it's out on the virtual console you get via the nintendo switch online. While I'd rather recommend DKC1 or Tropical Freeze I still think people should give it a try, if not just to experience the nice 2d graphics and lovely music.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXknTTEjLwQ

And here's one for tropical freeze (also a REALLY HARD game) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxDAyit9ak

repoman

I ended up selling my PSVR a couple of weeks ago.  I just wasn't using it and I find it a little bit glitchy in terms of how it picks up movement, usually when the controller goes in front of your face.  The camera can't cope.  I enjoyed it at first and definitely got good usage out of it, but the games just aren't advancing enough for me.  I did play Squadrons but to me it played the same as End Space and that wasn't brilliant.

Anyway, I used the money for a Sonos Beam soundbar and honestly that's changed my gaming experience loads.  I've always been more of an indie gamer ever since Xbox Live Arcade but with a view to getting the soundbar tested out I ended up playing through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered which was really enjoyable surprisingly.

Keeping the AAA thing going, I'm now playing through Battlefield: Hardline.  I'm not a Battlefield guy at all but this one's story is basically a corrupt cop story and is again quite enjoyable.  The stealth and the levels remind me of an old PC game called Project IGI.  The sound is incredible through this soundbar. 

On top of that I've played;

Galacide - a strange mix of 2D horizontally-scrolling shoot 'em up and match three puzzler.  It works very well though.  Quite short though.

Zombie Driver - a top down car game where you shoot your way through masses of zombies.  I was very pleased with this, especially as I got it free because of a glitch on PSN.  Is a bit samey but I was entertained all the way to the platinum trophy.

Neighbours: Back From Hell - a stealth/puzzle game where you have to inflict misery on your neighbour using traps.  A lot like Spy vs. Spy I guess but with just the one player.  Feels like an Amiga game.  Was good though, I was putting it off for ages but ended up finishing it.

Terra Bomber - a fairly hopeless Scramble clone with awful level design.

CrossKrush - cheapy puzzle game where you play as an old person trying to stop a motorway from ruining their house.  Cheap and decent but a bit too short and lacks replayability.  Doesn't incentivise going for the best scores.

Torchlight 3 - like all the Torchlight games, it plays like a less good Diablo.  Was okay in co-op but once I finished it I had no desire to try different classes or go for the trophies.

Street Racer Underground - a terrible car dodging game.  There was an Xbox Live Indie game called MotorHEAT which was amazing.  This is that but with all the good stuff taken out.  Very poorly done.  I think the dev hates me now too.

The Perfect Sniper - my last PSVR game.  A dirt cheap (in the PSN sale) sniping game which is quite nice and relaxed.  Sniping works well on PSVR, as evidenced by Arizona Sunshine.  This is like a less intense Silent Scope.  Trying to get my Aim controller to behave was a struggle though.

Rately

Got a Beelink GT King box for streaming, and Plex, and by looks of it, it might be a decent Emulator. Looking forward to playing about and reliving my teen years.

Dr Feeley Good

Just finished Doom Eternal on the Xbox, it's a long time since I've got so angry with a game! Turned the air blue the last few days... Terrible platforming bits in a first person shooter! Needless to say I won't be buying the dlc...

shaolin_monkey

I've been playing a shitload of stuff on the Oculus Quest 2 lately. It's a bit of a pain that my two favourite games need at least 2 square metres, so you can swing your arms about without fear of hitting anything. I've taken to playing in the garden at dusk (the Quest breaks in strong sunlight) as that's the only place I can wander about with the headset on and without tripping over sofas, coffee tables, partners etc.

Anyway, one is Holopoint, and the other is Until You Fall.

Holopoint - you're in a dojo with a bow. Holographic projections of squares and samurais pop up which you have to shoot quickly and then avoid the debris. It gets hard quickly, and has me ducking and lunging all over the place to both shoot and avoid projectiles. Great exercise, great fun!

Until You Fall - a hack and slash sword fighting game, extremely light in story, extremely deep in terms of dual weapon weilding, types of weapons, and mods you pick up as you play through. It has a decent variety of enemies, and great combat that has you swishing your arms about as as you block, slice, dice, and use magical sword power-ups. Very entertaining, and also burns calories!

The 3D in both of the above is used to superb effect, with no motion sickness whatsoever.

pictsy

I started playing Rogue Trooper on PS2 again, when I have an hour to spare.