Main Menu

Why is Judge Fear so unpopular?

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 January, 2018, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I imagined it's because he got punched out twice by Dredd, so he's always seen as the weakest.

I thought it would have been interesting to see Mortis poison the water supply, or Fire boil rain to scald people along with Fear using Fear-o-vision.

Just be glad Fear didn't chance upon that moon advertising laser...

norton canes

Don't know about Fear being the patsy but from a conceptual point of view, Fire is clearly the weak link. I always thought he might have been a left-over from an early idea that the Dark Judges would represent the four elements. And he's just a skellington! They could at least have given him a freaky head or something.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2018, 11:05:31 AM

Mortissss is my persssonal favourite, a great design and his own Necropolis mini-arc remains (geddit) my favourite DJ adventure.

Me an' all - that bit where he's chasing the cadets through the Undercity is literally very similar to my worst nightmares (well, some of them - having to sit school exams again with no study done wouldn't make a great SF / horror strip).  The sense of relentless dread is up there with the best the screen has to offer -  see also No Country for Old Men, that Black Mirror episode with the robodog, and the first Terminator.  I wish they would keep Mortis' speech to a minimum though, he's better when he's monosyllabic and menacing.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 08 January, 2018, 12:57:17 PM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 07 January, 2018, 10:53:21 PM
Not so I'd noticed... what makes you consider Judge Fire that way?

For me, it just seems like he's not even so popular with the writers, often being the first to be dispatched, but I'm sure I've seen feedback from some readers who seem to consider Fear to be the weakest of the four...

He certainly does seem unpopular with the writers, for the reason you've cited

That is, the reason he appears unpopular with the writers is that he's always the first one to be offed.  I have no idea what the actual reason they keep doing that is though...

Professor Bear

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.