Main Menu

Later Garth Ennis Dredds

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 August, 2018, 10:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Haven't reread much of it since it was fresh in the Case Files but I've almost thought Ennis's Dredd was a bit unfairly maligned on here. He was a young guy at the time, so I can forgive his excesses particularly as there was enough right about his take on the character. A Man Called Greener and Judge Who Lives Downstairs are classics.
We never really die.

AlexF

Part of Ennis's take (as per his interview with Da Bish, which I ought to link here but can't be bothered) is that he had almost no editorial help. He doesn't give any details, but one gets the impression they were so busy putting the Prog/Meg various reprints together, they didn't have time to even stop and tell him 'actually Garth, this script isn't really good enough, can you have another go.' I guess in their defense they'd never had to say that to Wagner and Grant, so maybe Dredd was just in the folder marked 'good to go!' from the off?

What's good by him lately? I got tired about half-way through the Boys / Punisher Max, and haven't read any Ennis comics since. Always did enjoy his War Stories, though.

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 03 September, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
What's good by him lately? I got tired about half-way through the Boys / Punisher Max, and haven't read any Ennis comics since. Always did enjoy his War Stories, though.

I've been meaning to resurrect the old Ennis thread for a while to ask exactly this question. He seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. Are the royalties from Preacher and endless Crossed spin-offs really that good?
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Well, he's not long done a 'World of Tanks' mini with PJ...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 September, 2018, 02:54:48 PM
Well, he's not long done a 'World of Tanks' mini with PJ...

Strange that PJ never tweeted about doing that.

More than ten times a day, I mean. ;)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 September, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
Strange that PJ never tweeted about doing that.

I'm assuming there must be another one in the offing, since he was tweeting about new methods for 3D modelling tanks as reference...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 September, 2018, 03:33:32 PM
I'm assuming there must be another one in the offing, since he was tweeting about new methods for 3D modelling tanks as reference...

Like a dog with a bone that one.  Not sure he needs any further techno-assisto-gubbins, it looked bloody amazing!  Garth and Paul seem like a dream team for this kind of stuff.

BPP

Garth still on the auto-buy list - he turns in a solid 4/5 series a year including war stories. As well as the PJ World Of Tanks offing his A Walk Thru Hell is great. Jimmys Bastards (bond comedy pastiche where his bastard children all hunt him down) was ya'know.. okay. Dastardly & Mutley had some solid jokes but not really an IP I dig.

Really good Garth stuff from the last decade includes Rover Red Charlie (dogs in the zombie apocalypse) and  The Last German Winter (War stories #7-9 ) (reminds me of his greatest story to date - Dear Billy.)
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

GordyM

His two Red Team series are also really good and worth picking up.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

broodblik

His Johnny Red for Titan was also great stuff
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

The ongoing War Stories from Avatar has finished a few months back now. It had some really great stories but wasn't the best of his war work. Not helped at all by some horrible art.

That said well worth checking out if its ever on sale anywhere.

EDITED to add: we used to have a thread for this Ennis chappie didn't we...

Art

Nthing any recommendations for A Walk Through Hell. That's shaping up to be really quite something.

matty_ae

Even as a fan of 2000ad, I do find it unrelenting how many talents do their best work almost straight after leaving the prog.

I do think there the episodic nature, short page count and house characters that are all great training.
But can you imagine if Preacher had appeared (first time around) in 2000ad rather than as a reprint in the Meg. Or The Invisibles. Or Enigma. Or Sandman. Or Walking Dead. Or Marshall Law.

But then we did get Nikolai Dante, Mazeworld, Button Man to name but a few.
2000ad really does have some close relatives that didn't stray too far...

Frank

Quote from: matty_ae on 07 September, 2018, 04:55:51 PM
... can you imagine if Preacher had appeared (first time around) in 2000ad

It would have been painted by Siku. And written by Alan McKenzie.

JayzusB.Christ

Wonder where Siku went? I really liked some of his painted stuff. He did a very short Sláine and was perfect for it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"