Main Menu

Good Omens Series

Started by von Boom, 09 October, 2018, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I can't find any thread about this, but it's set to premiere on Amazon Prime next year. A trailer was released at the New York Comic Con.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSXlNRRoGU

Very excited to see this one.

Funt Solo

Thanks for posting this: looks exciting.  It was so long ago that I read this (I expect it was 28 years ago) that I have almost no idea what it's about beyond what I just saw in the trailer.  Probably time for a re-read.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Now that it's finally here, anybody watching?

I'm a big fan of the book, and I watched the first one last night - thought it was very good

The casting of Tenant & Sheen is perfect, my only tiny criticism is that rather than making changes to adapt it to a visual medium, there's a lot of narration in which God (Frances McDormand) just reads Pratchett & Gaiman's prose.

Funt Solo

I binged it at the weekend: very enjoyable - reminiscent of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in the sense that there's a lot of silly asides.

The BBC review points out that because the central pairing is so well acted and their shared dilemma so intrigues, almost every other scene and character suffers in comparison.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mardroid

They probably could have done more with the other characters, but they were mostly likeable, or likeable unlikeable, when they were meant to be.

I enjoyed that a lot.

DaveGYNWA

Finished it last night - my wife can be considered the fan, as she loves Neil Gaiman and anything he does, and she loved it. I'll be honest and say that I've never read the books so went in fresh - and I enjoyed it too. Drags a little in places, but overall a good romp.

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

von Boom

I really enjoyed Michael Sheen and David Tennant as Aziraphale and Crowley respectively. Sheen especially made it worthwhile for me.

shaolin_monkey

I read the book years ago, and it didn't make a massive impression on me at the time. However, we chained this on the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sheen and Tennant are the highlights.

Bad City Blue

Loved it!

Tennant for Sinister!

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dandontdare

I'm halfway through the series (I find it too dense for binging, but it's a perfect one-a-night show) and whilst I don't mind a bit of intro before the credits, ep 3 was taking the piss - I checked the timer and it was over half way through the show before the credits ran - I thought I'd accidentally skipped to the next episode.

Bad City Blue

haha we thought that was really odd as well
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Funt Solo

Oh yeah - I was coding up some stuff whilst half-watching half-listening to the episode and that blew my mind a bit.  I couldn't figure out if the episode had skipped or if time had warped ... it just turned out to be an intro the length of a normal tv show.

++Threadjacking Interlude++
Talking of long intros...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Anybody else notice who did the storyboarding?

Ex of this parish, Mike Collins

Definitely Not Mister Pops

20,000 Christians have petitioned Netflix to cancel this show. Netflix have apparently agreed.

There you go, petitions work, we'll have a Dredd Sequel by Tuesday.
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

Netflix cancelled it? 

Or decided that there is no mileage in trying to continue a story beyond what Gaiman and Pratchett originally wrote? 

TBH I haven't quite got to the end of it yet but it looks like it was only ever going to be one series anyway.

Plus ... Amazon not Netflix ...

I reckon Pratchett is chuckling in his grave.