Main Menu

2000 AD Cover of the Year 2019!

Started by Pete Wells, 21 December, 2019, 06:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

So many great efforts to choose from. As ever, props to Tharg's stalwart regular cover droids - Cliff Robinson, Dylan Teague, Alex Ronald and the like - who have the unenviable task of churning out memorable covers featuring characters drawn by other artists in the strips themselves. Also to the one-off guest artists who have provided awesome variety.

On the shortlist, then - Tula Lotay's sultry Anderson from prog 2137 and Tiernen Trevallion's Absalom covers from the beginning ('Last Chance To Shine') and the end (er, 'The End') of this recent chapter's run - the latter of which I have to say might've been in with a shot of hitting the top three if they hadn't put the drokking logo over his farewell salute!

Anyway here's the big three:

3. Prog 2130

Yeah, I know the prog itself came in for a bit of stick (and lots of praise!) but that's a quality illustration, and Rogue's little grimace seals the deal.

2. Prog 2116

Top notch work from the Culbard droid who's reeled off a number of amazing Brink covers. Blood red and gruesome, with extra marks for the way the heads swamp the logo and the sensitive use of the 'official' cover font for the tag line.

1. Prog 2159

S'just gotta be - so original and distinctive with an exaggerated depiction of The Mighty One and incredible use of colours. Dear Tharg, please let Rob Davis write and draw a strip in 2020!

Rogue Judge

1. 2000 AD PROG 2115 (Dredd's chin...only outmatched Harvey's)
2. 2000 AD PROG 2145 (So much great detail, right gross & creepy)
3. 2000 AD PROG 2159 (Johnny Alpha is on the cover...that's enough to get my vote)

Lorenzo

moly

Fungus

1st. 2159 — Shop-bought and framed on wall. 'Nuff said.

2nd. 2140 — Classy painting by Simon Davis and that bit different.

3rd. 2147 — Jake Lynch does monumental Dredd. Creeping up on McMahon at this rate...

Honourable mention! Tiernan Trevallion!

Tiplodocus

3. 2115. Two mighty chins means trouble is a coming your way.
2. 2116. BRINK- probably not for the casual browser in WHSmith but caught my eye as a BRINK fan.
1. 2136 Absalom on a deck chair charnel pit. Fabulous.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sintec

Jacqusie

1. 2136 Tiernen Trevallion - Tough choice between all the Absalom covers, but I love the composition of this
2. 2126 D'Israeli - Proper old skool cover with D'Israeli showing everyone else how it's done
3. 2141 Chris Weston - Love the leering Pin over the chess board - Weston gets better and better

HM: It was nice to See Glenn Fabry back in the Prog

Stinker: 2150 - THAT cover for a launch prog - dear oh dear...

Oh and who decided the layout to Prog 2143, slopping the logo over Harry's parting salute? Unforgivable!

DrJomster

1st: 2136 Last Chance To Shine. Love this. What a great strip this has been too!
2nd: 2153 All Hail El Presidente. Simple but it works so well!
3rd: 2119 Cops And Robos. Very nice composition here. Great cover!

Honourable mention: 2147 The Enforcer. Gorgeous Dredd here.

Roll on the results!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Sandman1

1. 2152
2. 2140
3. 2119

No clear winner. 
Error...

Swerty

AlexF

1. 2137 by a country mile, one of my fave covers ever (and I was snippy about it in that week's prog review. Idiot.)
2. 2119
3. 2116

-but I'm feeling sad to leave out 2140 and 2142.
Love these hard numbers threads, so much decoding!

I, Cosh

01. 2143. Torn between a couple here but sentimality gets the better of me.
02. 2137. Just a beautiful image.
03. 2117. Love  a good design cover and think this got some undue stick at the time.

HMs for Davis' two Thistlebone covers. Very atmospheric but not special enough for me.
We never really die.

TordelBack

As always I try to go for covers that set a tone and really make me want to read that sory, and thus but the comic. That, I reason, is why they're there. On that basis, it was a very tough year to pick, since I rate 2019 as one of the most consistent runs of excellent strips in the comic'strip history: I want to read 'email all. That said:

1. (3pts) 2116 - Culbard's Kurtis freak-out. Exemplifies INJC's work on this strip, rock-solid character work, strong colour design and raw madness.
2. (2pts) 2140 - SBD's Thistlebone ossury. Davis delivers something unique and unsettling.
3. (1pt) 2131 - PJ's Chimpsky. Beautifully simple composition, and everything about it promises ape fun, which the strip delivered in spades.

HMs are too many to list, but the superb Tharg on 2159, and the exquisitely coloured Jake Lynch Dredd on 2147 stand out.

Pete Wells

My votes:

2145 Weston amazing ness!
2143 Bye Absalom!
2131 Grea composition from PJ

Voting is closed!