Main Menu

Goodbye Carlos

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 October, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Thanks, fellas. Loved that "grim flamboyance" line too.

Theblazeuk

It blows me away every time I look at the Case Files, and then look back at the prog of today, and see Carlos's work still there alongside all the new artists. A unique style that captures and delivered so much. Was never anything better than a Wagner/Ezquerra strip.

Anyway, everyone else said it better already.

low down dirty drokker

A thousand thank you's.. For all you gave.. Of all you're body of work.. Dredd..was my introduction. Joyful memories , running to the local shop to pick up my latest prog, rushing home, bag of monster munch and the galaxies greatest, to read over and over again, passed to father, then to  younger brother, then lovingly stored under the bed. We all miss you oh great creator,Now gone to meet The creator, may he smile kindly on you my friend.

So in appreciation mega city 1 should hold a day of mourning for our friend Carlos, buried with full judicial honour's, even dredd should remove his helmet as a sign of respect.   2000ad was and is my first love, to all who have contributed over the years whether, Artist, writer, colourer, storyteller, thank you one and all.

low down dirty drokker

P.S. don't suppose anyone has a signature Lawgiver for sale, got a funny feeling they just jumped in price.... Well drokker by name drokker by nature.
And if you chuckled at that shame on you.

The Sherman Kid

Such a massive loss and quite a shock to hear this news, gutted doesn't come close. Banners eloquent words speak for many, including myself and I tip my hat to Goaty for his brilliant tribute.

A lovely, funny, kind, humble man with a colossal talent.A body of prestigious work that brought joy to millions and which will have legacy that will be appreciated far into the future.

My deep condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Carlos - We will all deeply miss you

Cooper

What terrible news, I dont know what to say,  Ive been reading his work since 1980, goodbye Carlos, we loved your work and we will never forget you.
Rest in peace.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 October, 2018, 09:29:46 AMMy own interactions with Carlos were few, but memorable and charming - the first two were facilitated by our own Legendary Shark - firstly when he persuaded Carlos to join his Wednesday night Chat room and the master generously spent several hours chatting and answering our questions*.

*I actually recycled the question I asked in the chatroom a decade later at the panel he did in Oldham last year - I don't think anyone noticed!

What was the question, and did it get different answers each time?

sheridan

Quote from: low down dirty drokker on 03 October, 2018, 11:31:40 AM
So in appreciation mega city 1 should hold a day of mourning for our friend Carlos, buried with full judicial honour's, even dredd should remove his helmet as a sign of respect.

No - there's nobody else who would be able to draw the judge's face...

Sean SD

RIP Carlos.
Thanks for your wonderful storytelling through your art.
Love to your family and friends.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 03 October, 2018, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 October, 2018, 09:29:46 AMMy own interactions with Carlos were few, but memorable and charming - the first two were facilitated by our own Legendary Shark - firstly when he persuaded Carlos to join his Wednesday night Chat room and the master generously spent several hours chatting and answering our questions*.

*I actually recycled the question I asked in the chatroom a decade later at the panel he did in Oldham last year - I don't think anyone noticed!

What was the question, and did it get different answers each time?

I asked if he ever regretted making Dredd's costume and eagle so complicated given that he's had to keep drawing it for decades - the first time, his answer was something like "nothing worthwhile is ever easy", and second time I can't remember the exact words, but it was along the same lines.

rogue69

Here is Pat Mill's tribute that he recently posted on Facebook

Carlos - a tribute

We heard the news this afternoon here in Prague and we walked around stunned.

We had last hung out with Carlos and Conchita late last Summer in Marbella. It was a wonderful memory. It was so obvious how much they were into each other and clearly adored each other.

Today, still frozen with shock, we wandered into a jazz club, Agharta. The band were world class: Emil Viklicky Trio. And as the music flowed, our tears finally flowed, too.

That's where I'm writing this. Somehow it seems appropriate to write a tribute to Carlos Ezquerra, 2000AD's greatest artist, in a top jazz club. Because the music is cool, slinky and hip, just like his artwork. And just like great jazz, it will never, ever date.

Watching the keyboard player and drummer improvise and riff on each other reminds me how we as writers would give Carlos some crazy script and he would riff and improvise on it, taking it to a new height and always surprising us. He would never know what we might dream up next and we would never imagine what he would dream up in response. But it would invariably top us. Judge Dredd being a case in point.

And just like these jazz players, whenever we talked, there was always that mischievous glint in his eye. Fans who have met Carlos will know just what I mean!

So as the music plays on and gets ever wilder, we raise our glasses in tribute to you,Carlos.

We will all miss you so much. You made a difference to all our lives.

Cheers, my friend.

Our thoughts are also with you, Conchita.

Love from Prague

Pat and Lisa

Goaty

Lobo Baggins

I'm absolutely reeling in shock at this news and I don't know what to say.

Farewell, Carlos Ezquerra.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 October, 2018, 02:46:29 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 03 October, 2018, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 October, 2018, 02:46:29 PM
I actually recycled the question I asked in the chatroom a decade later at the panel he did in Oldham last year

What was the question

I asked if he ever regretted making Dredd's costume and eagle so complicated given that he's had to keep drawing it for decades - the first time, his answer was something like "nothing worthwhile is ever easy", and second time I can't remember the exact words, but it was along the same lines.

Nakedness expert David Roach was kind enough to share his hilarious and affectionate memories of Dan's Oldham encounter:

"Without Carlos, chances are many of us wouldn't have a job. I was lucky enough to spend time with him on several occasions, The last of which was at the Oldham comicon several months ago.

In a Dredd themed talk at the con, a vast panel of 2000AD artists complained - in the most good-natured way - about how difficult the judges'' uniforms and bikes were to draw. Carlos' reply, 'it's easy for me' brought the house down. Of course it was easy for him- he was the great Carlos! I think we're already feeling his loss"

GrudgeJohnDeed

Damn that's such sad news, Carlos is such a huge part of 2000ad. RIP.