Main Menu

2000AD Review - Steve Parkhouse interview

Started by gavinhanly, 22 November, 2004, 02:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavinhanly

Yes, that's right.  It's another 2000AD Review interview - the first of 2 this week.  Head on over now to see what Mr Parkhouse has to say:

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/index.shtml" target="_blank">2000AD Review

longmanshort

Class interview, Gavin. Your questioning style gets stronger with each one ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dudley

Great interview: Mr Byron Virgo doing a superb job on the questions there.

I wasn't terribly interested in Steve Parkhouse before reading that, but it's got me all determined to go out and find some more of his stuff.

longmanshort

Oops, sorry. Didn't notice it was by Byron :oS Good work there :oD
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

paulvonscott

Heh, kind of had the opposite effect on me.

Tiplodocus

Strangely, I had him pegged as an artist who had done a little bit of writing. But then I read that and I thought, "Oh yeah, he wrote that didnt he?".  

Interesting interview - he does make some sweeping generalisations but if they make him feel better then who am I to argue.

He has written some and drawn some good stuff. (but that Church and Spires and Shroud thing was mince)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

gavinhanly

By the way, I should say that Angel Fire comes highly recommended indeed, and is well worth a purchase.

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk" target="_blank">2000AD Review

Grant Goggans

That's so odd that Parkhouse had forgotten that Steve Moore preceded him on the Doctor Who strip.  Saturday night I was flipping through the Dragon's Claw compilation volume and I had totally forgotten that Moore had written so many of those strips.

I ended up putting it back on the shelf for now (Santa might be bringing me a copy), but if they do a second volume with all the 5th Doctor stories (by Parkhouse, Gibbons, Mick Austin and Steve Dillon, I think), I'm definitely buying it.  I enjoyed the stories, and adored Parkhouse's artwork on "The Stockbridge Horror."  There's a great cliffhanger when the Doctor runs in front of a fire truck...

--Grant

Byron Virgo

They are indeed releasing all the Fifth Doctor strips in one collection ('The Tides of Time'), with art by Gibbons, Steve Dillon, Paul Neary, Steve Parkhouse and Mick Austin sometime at the beginning of next year.

I remember reading Parkhouse and Ridgway's 'Voyager' storyline as a kid and being absolutely blown away, and I'd still rate it as amongst the best comics I'vev read. It really stretched the strip to the limits of it's innovation, and the art was blinding! I've always like John Ridgway (even before I actually knew his name) since I read that strip.

Bad Andy

What a fascinating interview. And how funny to see a person who obviously dislikes 2000AD getting such a big interview on a fan site.

paulvonscott

Heh, having an interview, probably to help  publicise the book he has out isn't a bad idea.  Chucking in a few antagonisms to get the readers going probably isn't such a good idea.  Might get them talking, might not get them buying.

Still, always interested in what makes writers and artists tick.  I agree, that I thought he was wasted on Sin Dex, lovely art for a story I was never going to read.  I'd like to see his art in 2000AD more often, especially on stuff with a  contemporary edge, as I've liked his art for a long time.

There are quite a few really talented artists that seem more interested in writing (mentioning no Gibbons).  Always seems a bit of a waste to me!  If you can draw, draw.  If you can't, try writing ;)

Probably not keen on some pseudo-oriental thing, wherever it appears.  There's a long tradition of these in british comics, usually by the same three people, and I'm not sure they've ever been that popular!  Still, I'll give it a go (can't say fairer than that).

I disagree with a lot of his comments about 2000AD, but people have put decent arguements up against them anyway.

Also, I'd REALLY like to get that collected Bojeffries Saga.  Is it still available does anyone know?

Byron Virgo

Unfortunately not, the Kitchen Sink colour edition is now long out of print, after Dennis Kitchen's comapny went down the spout, which is a pity as it had severall features not previously released, such as a 'make your own Bojeffries greenhouse', not unlike Captain Nemo's 'Build your own Nautillus' from LoEG vol.2 collection.

Your best bet is to try and collect it through either the American reprints - Flesh & Bone, which collected the opening storyline also contained a five page prologue not previously published in the UK. This was subsequently published in the Kitchen Sink edition, and was recently reprinted for the first time in b&w in the new A1 #0.

Either try and buy the back issues of Warrior (available from Comics International) sporadically from #12 onwards, or from the old A1 books. Failing those, try the new A1 publications, such as the upcoming Bojeffries Terror Tome (with art by the lovely Rufus Dayglo amongst others).

If you are deteremined to get the Kitchen Sink edition, try amazon sellers and ebay: you should be able to find it for under a tenner, but you may need to pay for international postage from America.

House of Usher

It didn't antagonise me much. I was quite sympathetic to most of what Mr Parkhouse had to say. I'm not looking forward not Tiger Sun/Dragon Moon, though.
STRIKE !!!