Main Menu

Meg 392 - Dredd vs Death

Started by McNulty, 12 January, 2018, 05:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 January, 2018, 09:43:09 AM
Good Meg this month.

Quick question to save me digging out my back issues. How was it left with Harry Heston at the end of his previous appearance? I don't remember him being in a position where he could be working for the Judges given Dredd's attitude to him.

Can anyone enlighten me?

He aided Dredd after a bunch of perps escaped from a Cursed Earth prison in a Meg story last September-ish!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2018, 06:59:38 PM
Well, if we're going down that rabbit hole then my money is on City of the Damned Zombie Dredd being ported in by the Proteus team, tearing out Dredd's heart and feeding it to death.
He can team up with Kraken along the way ;-)

sheridan

Good Meg this month.

Quick question to save me digging out my back issues. How was it left with Harry Heston at the end of his previous appearance? I don't remember him being in a position where he could be working for the Judges given Dredd's attitude to him.

Can anyone enlighten me?

sheridan

Good Meg this month.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe it'll work this time - SMF posted everything but the spoiler (which was my whole post!)

sheridan

[spoiler]Helped to foil a revolt/riot at an iso-facility and would probably have been sentenced for more of the same, but for the final panel where Dredd says he has a use for Heston[/spoiler].

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: sheridan on 19 January, 2018, 10:14:02 PM
Good Meg this month.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe it'll work this time - SMF posted everything but the spoiler (which was my whole post!)

SMF?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Trout

Picked up the Meg for the first time in a while, out of interest in Movieverse Death. I enjoyed it a lot. Plenty of other good stuff in there, too, especially the lead Dredd story. I'll probably be back for more next month.

Magnetica

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 January, 2018, 04:36:49 PM
SMF?

SMF = Simple Machines Forum.

It's what powers the 2000 AD forum.

Ever noticed the links at the bottom of the page?

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 21 January, 2018, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 January, 2018, 04:36:49 PM
SMF?

SMF = Simple Machines Forum.

It's what powers the 2000 AD forum.

Ever noticed the links at the bottom of the page?

Beat me to it - useful to know the technology that runs the forum if you want to look up what syntax to use for urls, images, etc (when it actually works).

Magnetica

I don't often read the floppy if it is stuff I have read before, but I an exception for Outlier.

I remember it getting a fairly negative reaction on this Forum at the time, and really I don't see why.

I think of it as a an updated, more sophisticated take on the kind of serial 2000AD used to do. Just compare it stuff like Project Overkill, Shako, even stuff like Return to Armaggedon (stands back and waits for Colin to come and completely disagree) and it is way better in every regard - more cohesive plot, less reliant on convenient items lying around, fantastic art.

It also features a really cool villain, who it turns out isn't a villain at all, rather a victim.

I mean really, what's not to like?

The other thing, as others have said, is this is a fairly recent thrill, so it feels very soon to be getting the floppy treatment, especially as we have all that stuff Rebellion has acquired. But I guess that takes time to put together, where as this was presumably much easier, being readily available in digital format.

The first episode was actually almost 4 years ago. In the same Prog was the first episode of Slaine: The Brutannia Chronicles. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about what is wrong with Slaine these days...the absolutely glacial pace. In that time all that has happened is Slaine has met Sinead, had run ins with Gododin and Archon and had a couple of flash backs about his parentage. And that's pretty much it...in 4 years.

Colin YNWA

Yeah have to agree I think Outlier got an unfairly hard time  both then and on review. Shame as I thought it was pretty good throughout.

The Sherman Kid

Thought Outlier was/is great, wouldn't mind at all if it returned in some form (but seems veryrecent to be a floppy for the Meg though).

Anyway, just a quick big thank you to the powers that be for returning Cursed Earth Koburn - again! Great character and can only be drawn by the magnificent Ezquerra, long may it continue.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 January, 2018, 09:47:35 PM
There is a modern sensibility that allows for the potential reinvigoration of what has become a bit of a joke in recent years.

I'd dispute that - Death and the DJs have certainly been a joke for a good few decades - from post-Necropolis up to Chaos Day, I can't think of a 'serious' story in that time, but CD onwards have restored some of the menace to the character/s.  So I'd rephrase that to "a bit of a joke in recent decades, though rehabilitated in recent years".

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 January, 2018, 09:12:09 PM
Don't know if it was deliberate (I'd guess it was but what do I know) but page 7 of the strip, the one where Dredd appears is just so Dave Sim and Gerhard and seems to come straight from the pages of Cerebus with all the glory of Gerhard's painstaking background.
My first response to this seems to have been eaten by the internet, so better luck this time (and apologies if it pops up once I've posted it) - page 4, frame 7 (Hetch with MC-1 in flames in the background) seems very Gerhardy to me, while page 6, frame 6 (Pettifer falling down the well of souls) has a very Simish look on the faces of those surrounding the falling judiciary.  Page 7 reminds me of the Mind Games issues of Cerebus (even though there weren't Gerhard backgrounds on those) but with a Gerhard pile of lawbooks / wooden buildings look on everything.