Main Menu

Worst Chief Judge?

Started by Jade Falcon, 09 September, 2015, 11:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Except for the obvious nomination of Judge Cal, who would you say has been the worst Chief Judge that Mega City One has had.

There are large gaps in what I have read, and I am catching up with the Mega-Collection, but so far I would say Silver.  While the position does need a lot of hard decision making, Silver seemed at times to cause more harm than good.  His brutal suppressing of the Democracy movement and his catalogue of screw ups prior to Necropolis being the main ones.

What do the rest of you thing, and reasons.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

TordelBack

Much depends on your feelings about Dune Sharks.

Other than that, there's probably an objectively derived graph with 'Number of times ignored Dredd's device' on one axis and 'Citizens died during tenure' on the other. Silver's hardly in the running with only 60 million, but doing well on the ignoring Dredd scale.

James Stacey

Fargo. He just made it up as he went along.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 September, 2015, 07:42:11 AM
Much depends on your feelings about Dune Sharks.

Other than that, there's probably an objectively derived graph with 'Number of times ignored Dredd's device' on one axis and 'Citizens died during tenure' on the other. Silver's hardly in the running with only 60 million, but doing well on the ignoring Dredd scale.
Like wise Sinfield is, as far as i'm aware, the first Chief Judge sent to Titan. Surely he's on another level by that alone.

I, Cosh

Griffin was the only outright traitor.
We never really die.

Greg M.

I think we had a poll on best chief judge a while back, and worst got discussed too. For me, worst is still Silver – he accomplished nothing positive in his reign, presided over the greatest abuses of power the judges ever indulged in, encouraged Dredd to behave as brutally as we've ever seen, indirectly caused Necropolis, and then skulked around in undead form hoping to get his job back. At least Cal got a wall built. I'm not sure if Sinfield counts – wasn't Francisco still technically CJ throughout Sinfield's rule?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 September, 2015, 09:48:33 AM

Brainwashed traitor, who came good in the end when confronted by Dredd.

It's gotta be Dan Franscisco.  His decisions pretty much screwed the city on Chaos Day.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Link Prime

Quote from: ZenArcade on 10 September, 2015, 11:38:10 AM
Dan Francisco was terrible.Z

He's a Gruddamn actor!

The buck stopped with Francisco during Chaos Day.

IndigoPrime

Francisco was manipulated and weak, but Silver was outright brutal. Mind you, McGruder's second crack at the chair was hardly a success either. It's almost easier to figure out the half-decent CJs.

Hawkmumbler

Definitely Not Mister Pops

What about Solomon?

Not long after the Apocalypse War, when resources would have been scant, he decided to sentence Bad Bob Booth to 100 years in expensive suspended animation. Not only that, but instead of just using a computer program to monitor Booth's health and ensuring there was a big enough blood bank, he had three nigh indestructible robots built. Robots that, despite being nothing more than mechanical nurses, were given the advanced stealth and infiltration capabilities needed to sneak in to the homes of innocent victims and drain their blood.
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 September, 2015, 10:20:14 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 10 September, 2015, 09:48:33 AM

Brainwashed traitor, who came good in the end when confronted by Dredd.

It's gotta be Dan Franscisco.  His decisions pretty much screwed the city on Chaos Day.

The Monkey speaks the truth ^^ High of the Ignore Dredd's advice axis too.
DDT did a job on me

Greg M.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 September, 2015, 01:06:52 PM
Mind you, McGruder's second crack at the chair was hardly a success either. It's almost easier to figure out the half-decent CJs.

McGruder's second term is really successful until Mechanismo. It's under her that the legitimacy of judicial rule is democratically confirmed. Right the way up to and including Judgement Day, she listens to and acts on everything Dredd says, and trusts him intimately. She only goes off the rails when she starts to disagree with him. She goes a bit loopy and makes some mistakes and weird decisions, but she sees the light and recognises her own fallibility. For me, she's the best, but even objectively (where Hershey presumably wins), she has to rank quite highly.

IndigoPrime

Yeah, fair points. She was fine until she started getting paranoid and, presumably, began the long descent into the nightmare of dementia. (I've no idea if that's what Wagner was going for at the start, but it's where the character ended up going.) I suppose Goodman didn't do too bad a job, even if we don't see most of it. He certainly survived a long time.