Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 13 January, 2010, 12:48:39 PM
The battlefield site is completely devoid of archeological evidence of the battle that took place... so either the historical account is wrong and it took place elsewhere or the site was picked clean and the dead were buried a good distance away and the mass graves havent been discovered yet.

Maybe it took place in Hastings.  ;)
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

As an interesting aside to that: The battlefield site is completely devoid of archeological evidence of the battle that took place.There has been next to nothing unearthed and there has been no mass graves discovered so either the historical account is wrong and it took place elsewhere or the site was picked clean and the dead were buried a good distance away and the mass graves havent been discovered yet.

I'm sure I read in the last couple of months that archeologists had finally pinpointed the site, and it wasn't any of the handful of possible sites that are usually put forward.

On second thoughts, that may have been another famous battle. One of the findings was that longbows weren't as crucial as previously assumed because they found more evidence of artillery and muskets, which seems a bit premature for 1066. May have been Bosworth Field? Where's our resident archeologist when you need him?

Jim_Campbell

I don't think there's much doubt about the site of Bosworth ... as I understand it, a very cursory turning over of the earth there will still often yield toe or finger bones ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 January, 2010, 01:30:17 PM
As an interesting aside to that: The battlefield site is completely devoid of archeological evidence of the battle that took place.There has been next to nothing unearthed and there has been no mass graves discovered so either the historical account is wrong and it took place elsewhere or the site was picked clean and the dead were buried a good distance away and the mass graves havent been discovered yet.

I'm sure I read in the last couple of months that archeologists had finally pinpointed the site, and it wasn't any of the handful of possible sites that are usually put forward.

On second thoughts, that may have been another famous battle. One of the findings was that longbows weren't as crucial as previously assumed because they found more evidence of artillery and muskets, which seems a bit premature for 1066. May have been Bosworth Field? Where's our resident archeologist when you need him?

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:ZBUCPCbt0P4J:www.prlog.org/10425863-new-site-for-the-battle-of-hastings-uk-1066.html+battle+of+hastings+archeology&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

I didnt realise that but i just found this article after a search.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

Just done a search myself, and it WAS Bosworth I was thinking of:

QuoteFive centuries of searching for one of Britain's most significant battlefields has finally ended with the discovery of "extraordinary and unexpected" pieces of artillery in a Leicestershire field.

The finds near Market Bosworth at last pin down the notoriously "wandering site" of the battle that overthrew Richard III – the last English king to die at the head of an army – and established the Tudor dynasty and the modern state.

Full article  here

Looks like many battlefields are uncertain, or disputed over several sites.

Peter Wolf

I feel like i have been cheated and lied to about the location of the Battle Of Hastings after reading the article i posted earlier.There is a school in the grounds of Battle Abbey that i went to and i was fascinated by the history and the alleged battle and i always used to re-imagine it all in my mind and i used to wander around the grounds and the alleged battlefield site.

There was also that nonsense about the boggy areas of the battlefield site where there was always rusty coloured water and mud present which was supposed to be the blood still in the soil left over from the battlefield when in fact it was leftovers of Iron age smelting of iron.

Goddamn historical revisionists.

TordelBack

Sorry, sorry, for my part I was out digging up stuff for a change.  Very interesting article about Hastings - I was brought to Battle as a kid and have similar misty memories as Peter.  I have a very good friend who spent some years working on analysing the primary historical evidence for various (Irish) battlefields, and it was pretty shocking to hear how most 'known' locations were absolute fictions.  I've only ever dug at one supposed battlefield, and while it was great fun imagining sightlines, cover and crossing points, we found absolutely nothing.

Peter Wolf

This kind Ebay seller takes the time to explain to buyers what has gone on recently regarding Ebay record/vinyl auctions>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOY-DIVISION-UK-3-TRACK-12-45-ATMOSPHERE-2_W0QQitemZ180453668428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item2a03e0764c

Ebays policy is absolutely Fucking stupid and like the buyer says its just ebay increasing its final value percentages.A little while ago i noticed that there were no longer any auctions for records on Ebay starting at 99p and i couldnt work it out.Ebay insists that the seller of a record has to offer free postage yet the postage is NOT FREE because the starting bid includes the buyers postage fees so postage is NOT FREE !!

Someone tell me i am wrong here !

How am i able as a buyer to accurately determine what i am being charged by the seller for postage of the item without emailing the seller ?

Why is it somehow reasonable that i am bidding on an item and effectively bidding on an unknown postage charge when a seller can start an auction with what could be a completely arbitary figure that includes "free" postage ?

As far as i know Royal Mail dont offer "Free" postage ?

Why have Ebay singled out vinyl auctions for this scam ?

Is it acceptable in any way for a buyer not to have postage and packaging costs clearly set out at the outset by the seller ??

What exactly is the sellers standard rate ?

Why should i comply with a system that makes it easier for less scrupulous sellers to overcharge for P+P ??

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR>...............

Roger Godpleton

I thought I'd lost my phone so I bought a replacement but then I hadn't lost it.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

uncle fester

I've got the theme from Blue Peter stuck in my head.

Blue Peter, FFS.....

Dandontdare

Quote from: uncle fester on 15 January, 2010, 02:50:04 PM

Blue Peter, FFS.....

Dammit, so have I now! Bastard!

I'm dreading seeing the state of my flat when I get home. Housing Association workmen arrived at 8am (Why do they need to start so damn early?) to begin work on a complete new kitchen and bathroom. They were ripping cupboards out when I left for work, and the entire contents of the kitchen, including fridge and cooker, are in the living room. However, after a few weeks of crappiness and disruption, we should have a lovely new kitchen and bathroom.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2010, 03:17:39 PM

Blue Peter, FFS.....

I'm dreading seeing the state of my flat when I get home. Housing Association workmen arrived at 8am (Why do they need to start so damn early?) to begin work on a complete new kitchen and bathroom. They were ripping cupboards out when I left for work, and the entire contents of the kitchen, including fridge and cooker, are in the living room. However, after a few weeks of crappiness and disruption, we should have a lovely new kitchen and bathroom.

I hope that your builders are members of the considerate builders scheme !

I never start work at 8.00am if i am doing building work.No way as i dont do early starts.I always start about 10.00am and work right through until about 5.30 - 6.00 with no breaks apart from the odd 10 minutes.

It also shouldnt take a few weeks just to change a kitchen and bathroom either.Thats way too long.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 January, 2010, 03:51:16 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 January, 2010, 03:17:39 PM

Blue Peter, FFS.....

I hope that your builders are members of the considerate builders scheme !

I never start work at 8.00am if i am doing building work.No way as i dont do early starts.I always start about 10.00am and work right through until about 5.30 - 6.00 with no breaks apart from the odd 10 minutes.

It also shouldnt take a few weeks just to change a kitchen and bathroom either.Thats way too long.

Most builders in my experience do seem to start work at 8, and knock off about 4, I've no idea why - I'd much rather hire a late starter like you! The electrician actually showed up closer to 7.30 to shut the power off ready for the builders! They've advised 20 working days, including decorating and finishing off. It does involve some structural work (there are large concrete built-in closets that are being removed to incraese the size of the room), extensive plumbing, rewiring, a lowered ceiling and lots of tiling, so it's more than just fitted units.

uncle fester

Glad I could help DDD! :)

In my previous existence on site, 8am was the latest. But we started as early as 5:30 and finished at 11pm on some projects!