Main Menu

WHAT SHOULD THE NEW MEGA-CITY ONE LOOK LIKE?

Started by Beaky Smoochies, 17 August, 2011, 04:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

It would appear lately that with the release of Dredd a whole 14 months away, we seem to be losing a certain momentum when it comes to subject matter, so this is my attempt to try and get some decent conversing going, don't know how lasting this'll be, but I can give it a go anyhoo...

Now we've seen the Judge uniforms and (albeit in a dodgy spy-shot) the Lawmaster, what do other forum dwellers think and/or hope the new Mega-City One will look like, in other words, do y'all think it will be a more 'real' city- looking much more like a current city only bigger- or a more recognisably futuristic city like in the comics... or a combination of both...

My bet is that it will be like the Blade Runner or the 1995 Judge Dredd  'movie' (and yes, those inverted commas are deliberate) cityscapes, in that it will look recognisably futuristic but will still be a few steps from where we are now, minus the usual airborne traffic and hence the four-wheel vehicles seen in spy-shots previously, what does everyone else think...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

blackmocco

Don't think it's going to look anything like the '95 movie. If anything, based on what we've seen so far, I think it'll be based in a reality we're pretty familiar with. Just on a much bigger scale...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Radbacker

I'm imagining big huge ugly square concrete buildings, not much glass or perspex, grey drab and depressing.  sort of like estate style housing only on a massive scale.  No knob like domes for the buildings and an absolute mess of a road system (think LA with all the multi-level ring roads but completely run down with sections missing and unfinished).  Not futuristic at all just very similar to what we have now on a much much larger scale.
I'm hoping for a few fatties, simps and Uglies in the background just to keep a bit in line with the comics.

CU Radbacker

HatefulCactus

From what I've seen of the photos. Mega-City One might be a slightly more realistic version of The Fifth Element.
Feel My Hate!

Goaty

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 17 August, 2011, 04:24:50 AM
It would appear lately that with the release of Dredd a whole 14 months away

It's 13 months away!

Dandontdare

The look of the city was the best thing about the 95 movie - I remember those first few minutes sweeping over the city thinking "Oh boy, this looks FANTASTIC!".

And then he spoke....

IndigoPrime

Dirty Sanchez

I had to watch that scene about seven times to figure out even half of what he was trying to say to Hershey and Brisco. Tor Johnson had better diction in Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Mardroid

Quote from: HatefulCactus on 17 August, 2011, 06:27:07 AM
From what I've seen of the photos. Mega-City One might be a slightly more realistic version of The Fifth Element.

That wouldn't be a bad look at all. I do hope we see some of the domes etc, if only in the distance. I don't mind a more contemporary look to the buildings though. I think some artists have taken that route, and, being such a large city, I'm sure their are districts that look like that. And of course, this might be an earlier time period anyway, as others have said.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 August, 2011, 09:44:54 AM
The look of the city was the best thing about the 95 movie - I remember those first few minutes sweeping over the city thinking "Oh boy, this looks FANTASTIC!".

I agree. The cityscape of the 95 film was smashing. I loved the robot too, not that I'm suggesting he should appear in this film...  I'm just partial to robots. Not in a Lobster Random kind of way, I hasten to add.

COMMANDO FORCES

Love him or hate him, he hasn't done too badly for a person who started off with this happening to him!

QuoteComplications his mother suffered during labor forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth; misuse of these accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of Stallone's face. As a result, the lower left side of his face is paralyzed, including parts of his lip, tongue, and chin

Buddy

Quote from: HatefulCactus on 17 August, 2011, 06:27:07 AM

Photos??!

What photos???

JOE SOAP

HatefulCactus

These are only set photos. So we can only imagine what the finished city might look like.

Feel My Hate!

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Beaky Smoochies

Firstly, you're absolutely correct Goaty, it's 13 months away not 14, I suddenly noticed that AFTER I had posted, my bad and well played sir...

When I said it might be similar to the 1995 movie, I actually meant the new MC1 cityscape will still be instantly recognisable with buildings we have now only larger in scale (which that movie had), not that it would be a stylistic redux of the '95 debacle- who would want that anyway?  Those pictures taken in Johannesburg give a pretty clear indication what the new Big Meg might look like (you can just picture the CG buildings around the real ones), which, as some people have already said, will most likely be a more heightened and exaggerated version of a modern cityscape, not too stylised but not a drab, dreary, and depressing look either, plus it's highly likely we'll have winding freeways and elevated roads if the script is anything to go by, I wouldn't rule out neon signs and other decorum that would very much give the city it's megalopolistic character, it's gonna look fantastic however it turns out, I just know it (they've nailed everything else so far)...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.