Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 May, 2020, 07:27:51 PM
Most likely gym users forced into jogging when the gyms/leisure centers shut.

Ah, very good, that makes prefect sense.

QuoteThe younger staff were taking this seriously, the older ones just seemed to view it as an inconvenience with which they shouldn't have to concern themselves.

Yeah, we're probably not going to see a proper demographic breakdown of age-related behaviour. I doubt anyone's doing it now and I can't imagine anyone will want to sit down and watch hours of CCTV footage.

We had a girl in our local co-op who was wearing a mask from the very beginning, but the younger hospital workers who share the bus with me walk in a group, wait in a group and sit in a group. I've seen junior doctors doing the same. Distancing practices also seem to be varying a lot between and within different departments.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 May, 2020, 07:40:53 PM
Had my first shopping trip wearing a mask today. I felt like a total fud.

Try a scarf first. Masks will be easier when more people are doing it and the fashion industry sees them as a way to get back on its feet.

Regards,

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Most likely gym users forced into jogging when the gyms/leisure centers shut.

I'm afraid this is very much me, although I at least have the decency to go out at 6:30am when very few people will see me wheezing my way round a pathetically short circuit.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Robin Low on 02 May, 2020, 07:16:07 PM
On another note, has anyone else seen an apparent explosion of joggers in their neck of the woods?

Assuming they're not just new to the activity, I've been wondering when and where they were all running before.

Regards,

Robin

I'd have thought some of it is making up for the lack of activity when commuting.  Or having wanted to do so, but not being able to because of the amount of times usually spent commuting.  Myself, I have over two hours a day extra to do with what I want.

sintec

I'm more concerned at the explosion of dog-walkers and wonder why these poor pooches weren't getting exercised before.

My suspicion is that many of these pooches used to get walked by paid dog walkers, they probably went out as part of a group during the day whilst we're all mostly at work. There's definitely been an increase in the number of people who seem to be unable to pick up after their beast, I suspect this may also be related.

Robin Low

Quote from: sheridan on 02 May, 2020, 09:31:49 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 02 May, 2020, 07:16:07 PM
On another note, has anyone else seen an apparent explosion of joggers in their neck of the woods?

Assuming they're not just new to the activity, I've been wondering when and where they were all running before.

I'd have thought some of it is making up for the lack of activity when commuting.  Or having wanted to do so, but not being able to because of the amount of times usually spent commuting.  Myself, I have over two hours a day extra to do with what I want.

Could be, but I've noticed that a lot of them look pretty fit already, which fits with the Bear's point about gyms. There is a smaller number who physically look like they're new to it, but even they seem to be trotting along quite comfortably. Certainly more comfortably than I could.

Regards,

Robin

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 May, 2020, 09:26:30 PM
...although I at least have the decency to go out at 6:30am when very few people will see me wheezing my way round a pathetically short circuit.

Ah-yup.

paddykafka

Having said that, I've seen more and more (admittedly small) groups of kids hanging about as time goes on.  So much for that joke about how being stuck in their rooms with their phones and videogame consoles isn't really a punishment.

Well, talking about groups of kids hanging about. Take a look at these fine, young specimens of Humanity in action, as they display their own peculiar form of social distancing.

https://www.facebook.com/seenindublin/videos/2578651435568033

Robin Low

Interesting little piece on 'lockdown breakers'. I think my favourite line is, "Mum is in touch with this underground network of hairdressers who have been working from home."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52501417

Regards,

Robin

Tiplodocus

I make a point of wearing one of my 10k or half-marathon finisher tops when out running. So people know I did this before the lockdown. Not sure if makes them judge me less or more.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Modern Panther

Quote"Mum is in touch with this underground network of hairdressers who have been working from home."

this is the way the world ends
not with bangs, but with a primper.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Missus is waiting on the results of a Covid test.

Front line health worker, waiting to hear so she knows if she can work.

Results delayed by the bank holiday.
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

But it isn't a Bank Holiday until 8th? Bonkers.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

TordelBack

Quote from: Modern Panther on 03 May, 2020, 02:31:06 PM
Quote"Mum is in touch with this underground network of hairdressers who have been working from home."

not with bangs, but with a primper.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Fantastic.