Main Menu

Prog 1568 : BAD BRAINS!

Started by Buttonman, 07 January, 2008, 01:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE COLLINS

Yep- I praised Matt's work earlier but I was remiss in not saying that the whole Prog looks great right now.

You can never go wrong with Carlos (Stronty is what got me into 2000AD in the first place, via Starlord), Richard's stuff on Kingdom is classic Tooth and the Henry Flint art on Shakira is just great-- there's some fabulous compositions there-- the whole exploding eye thing was amazing... mental but in a good Kev O'Neill way. Great to be part of that whole ensemble!

Mardroid

My copy came today. (Well actually that would be yesterday now as I right this at 3.46 in the morning.)  Turns out it didn't arive cos the postman took it to the wrong address. There's another road with a similar name to mine so that happens from time to time.

I pretty much enjoyed this whole issue though.

Judge Dredd:  Very nice art, and I loved the warped humour in this story.

Shakara: Meh!. Nice art but there's not much going on in the storyline is there? I like the aliens though.

Kingdom: Again lovely art. Intersting story turn and I liked the gag at the end. "Daddy? Can I keep him?"

Stickleback: I'm liking this strip a lot. Love the modern cultural references to sitcoms (ancestors maybe?) and the beastie in the jar made me chuckle.

Strontium Dog:  I wasn't too keen on last weeks for some reaason but I liked this, although I'm not too sure of the 'rescue kiddies so my former mate likes me again' storyline.

Peter Wolf

There isnt a bad thing in it.Excellent work.

Shakara reminds me a lot of Nemesis for some reason.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

Funt Solo

::"Shakara reminds me a lot of Nemesis for some reason."

Yeah, it's difficult to define, isn't it?  I mean, it's not like they both feature an almost indestructible alien, traveling the galaxy seeking justice in an iconic spaceship whilst uttering a one-word catchphrase that initially seem to make no sense, until some backstory is provided.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Adventurer

At least Shakara doesn't get up its own ass with "messages" and bad science.

Just pure distilled gonzo sci-fi.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

I think the problem with Shakara was the length of time between series. The first one was terribly lightweight (and issuing it as a ridiculously expensive hard-back trade didn't help), but with the follow-ups, it's got some depth and has become very intriguing. Here's hoping it finds its way to a rebooted trade, containing all three series, at some point.

Hoagy

Here is my take on it.

Fantastic Cover

Dredd is a brilliant collaboration of talent.Nice city sets and ... Its a monkey! I hope Edgar Allen Poe likes it.

From brains to intellect and Shay Kay Ray completes his trippy prologue. The battle between desire and the psyche is over via the need for tools.

Don't tell ME there's no story.

Little Kingdom on the Prairie is all about to kick off. I wonder if there's gonna be communication problems. You know, one person talks customer, the other talks BT?

Ah, Stickleback. What glorious work. Don't stop spoiling us boys.

Starlord's finest in his version of Grumpy auld men! We welcome you to the board. Even the seventeen year olds here are misery guts. Ha.Ha.

@Is crazy scheme coming.
Vulf know it.@

Look at that look, Carlos gives Wulf, to give Johnny. Hurr.

Shop page;

I like the look of the figurines. I bet they caught the dust catchers' eyes.Are they by F4F, by any chance?

And can I get me a fishing hat with a tooth logo on please. I'll give you 20 quid for one.

Right. I haven't got a paypal I haven't got a cheque account. How can I buy a mug??

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Marbles

Re Shakara - "Here's hoping it finds its way to a rebooted trade, containing all three series, at some point."

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Fun story, but truly amazing artwork.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Goaty

love those jokes by frogs, what balls? that eyeballs!!

and big wonder of Kingdom, that last week whose voices Gene hear, is it human or...?

COMMANDO FORCES

Dredd did fire the 4 heatseeker rounds down a crowded walkway.
If you look at the top pic the gorilla has at least 2 dozen citizens in front of his escape route.
The next pic shows his reaction to Dredd's command.
Next pic Dredd fires (these rounds are now travelling above the initial crowd but due to Dredd's aim they will be entering crowd level where the ape was).
The next pic shows the ape jumping pver the ledge of the walkway.
During this sequence there where too many innocent citizens in between Dredd and his target to risk such a shot!
Perhaps this is another error of judgement in Joe's recent history.
Lovely art though.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Loved that Prog.

Great, great art from cover on through.

Dredd:  A solid one-off, lifted by an amazing collaboration on art - Mike's dynamic figures and Cliff's awesome inks, a perfect combo.

Stickleback:  Aside from basking in the glory of the art, I  enjoyed the appearance of Festival Road's most famous shopkeeper,

Kingdom:  I love everything about this strip.  Regarding Elson, a better question might be "How long can we keep him?".      His art manages to be rich, clear and adventurous at the same time, surely he's fattening himself for export?.

Shakara:  Shakara!

Strontium Dog:  This is great fun, and I love Ezquerra's drift back to his pre-computer Necropolis-era purple washes.

A huge treat from start to finish.

Incidentally, while I don't care for the non-logo logo, the smaller 'exclamation'  logo now peeps out of the tiniest space on the newsagent's rack, rather than being partly obscured, which works for me.

Peter Wolf

"Kingdom: I love everything about this strip. Regarding Elson, a better question might be "How long can we keep him?". His art manages to be rich, clear and adventurous at the same time, surely he's fattening himself for export?."

I hope that doesnt happen and i hope this strip runs for a long time.I could do with another 50 week continous strip.

You know when  the prog is good when you reread it a few times and study the artwork which is what i have been doing.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Huey2

" Dredd did fire the 4 heatseeker rounds down a crowded walkway."
-Nope you're right. My bad. Sorry.