Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 November, 2017, 06:26:54 AMI look forward to more. Shame we'll have a while to wait! I'm not sure why this can't just be season one, and the next, season 2

Then CBS would only have delivered 9 episodes to the investors like Netflix that paid for 10.  Don't think they'd have been too pleased at having to renegotiate/pay again for the end of the story, let alone a "second" season they'd already paid for.

Jim_Campbell

I don't normally go for fan theories, but a couple of interesting ones I came across in response to the (niggles aside) fairly excellent mid-season cliff-hanger were...

[spoiler]At some point since using the Spore Drive, Lorca has been replaced with his Mirror Universe version and is trying to get himself back to there and to take this shiny new ship with him[/spoiler]

Or, possibly more interestingly...

[spoiler]The whole series has been set in the Mirror Universe until now.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

If this series was set in the Mirror Universe, wouldn't the ships and crew all bear MU "Earth-with-a-dagger-through-it" logos? Wouldn't there be pain-booths and floggings? Wouldn't Lorca have a goatee?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 November, 2017, 08:12:10 AM
It was the fact the Klingons were shite at fighting (hand to hand and ship to ship) that rankled me most. I could see the Captain accepting the challenge but surely he'd have handed Burnam her ass in less than a minute. (My excuse is "Aha but she's trained in Vulcan martial.arts... or something"). But baddies have to be more competent at killing things.

The fact that Burnham was even allowed to live once she revealed herself rankled me. "Hey. I'm an enemy just appearing on your flagship bridge. Can we chat?"

She should have been disrupted to bits. End of.

Professor Bear

I liked the giant neon lanterns that shouted "PREPARING TO TRANSMIT DATA" that they hid all over the ship, Klingons apparently being blind and deaf as well as stupid and useless at fighting.

von Boom

Why would they see them? They couldn't see Burnham crouching behind a console for twenty minutes. But of course spycraft 101 clearly states if you crouch down you become completely invisible.

Smith

Professor Bear

Burnham wasn't covered in lights and shouting things, I imagine that's how she wasn't noticed.

TordelBack

While not wanting to excuse the relentless undermining of alien threat that is a key part of any ST incarnation, it strikes me that these are shit Klingons, and not wholely accidentally.  T'Kuvma was the visionary prophet uniting a dissolute race, and Voq his designated successor: these opportunists clowns are the usurpers of this legacy, it wouldn't make as much dramatic sense if they were capable and competent anyway. 

The Legendary Shark

Privileged upper class Klingons who talk a good fight and are arrogant enough to believe themselves superior to the actual balls-out warriors they command simply by dint of their noble birth? I can get behind that, no problem.

As to the Other Thing, Lorca might be from the future, come back in time to look for Spock but somehow missing the Kelvin Timeline, which is what he's looking for now... (I hate myself for even suggesting that.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 November, 2017, 08:26:26 PM
As to the Other Thing, Lorca might be from the future, come back in time to look for Spock but somehow missing the Kelvin Timeline, which is what he's looking for now... (I hate myself for even suggesting that.)

think that was done in the film?

Tiplodocus

I was actually disappointed when I went to watch this last night and realised there wasn't a new episode. So "Job done, ladies and gentlemen. Job done!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

Yeah, mid season break apparently. It should be back early next year. Nor free why they don't just call what we watched series one and the next series 2, since they appear to literally be going somewhere else...

JOE SOAP

One for the fans.

Quentin Tarantino is also planning to boldly go where he has not gone before. Sources said that Tarantino has come up with a great idea for a Star Trek movie at Paramount. After sharing his idea with JJ Abrams (who himself is busy prepping Star Wars Episode IX), I've heard the plan is to assemble a writers room of scribes who'll hear Tarantino's take and begin to put together a movie. If it all works out, Tarantino might direct it, with Abrams producing.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

blackmocco

I'd be thrilled with that, to be honest. Not the first time Tarantino has voiced his ideas for a Trek movie and what he'd do with it. He LOVES TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and the dilemma at the heart of it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com