Main Menu

Judge Dredd Chronology

Started by Callahan, 22 January, 2008, 02:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

Waggon Wheels seemed impossibly adult to my child-brain, possibly because of the Western theme, which always made me assume that they tasted of wood and Indian scalps for some reason, as well as my fear of mixing biscuit and marshmallow. It wasn't until I was about twelve or so that friends persuaded me to see the error of my ways.

Link: http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/previous.php3?item=1" target="_blank">A Taste of Adventure

Funt Solo

::"Then I learnt to use the dots as a guide to eating, creating elaborate shapes by nibbling along radian one, then cutting across to concentric line two,and on, all the way to the middle."

Ah, the dissection method: which provides healthy kit-kat entertainment as one can attempt the challenge of separating the outer chocolate layer neatly from the creme-filled wafer layers, which themselves can then be consumed one by one.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Peter Wolf

What a mess.I thought Callahans explanation was plausible.I have no reason to question it.

But i can understand the viewpoint of HipsterDad as well.

Callahan failed simply because not once did he actually credit the true author of the list in any of his posts or just say thank you.As it was the original list that inspired him to update it .Credit where credits due.

I have been copying and doing artwork that is inspired by Belardinelli as a means of learning to draw and partly because i aloways wanted to draw like that.At no time if i explain or show the work to others do i say the ideas are mine.I always make a point of explaining who the artist  is/was and where the characters or landscapes etc came from as it feels dishonest to say to others that i created them.

Anyway he did seem to have a bit of an attitude problem which exasapated the situation somewhat and then says "fuck you *all* very much ".

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

Gee, looking for a chronological list, I stupidly thought Dredd Chronology, Dredd Progs etc would've put me on the right path (what was I thinking).

Tee. Hee.

Given that you had a large part of the content of the site in question on your hard drive, wouldn't it have been easier to try... Oh, I don't know... Maybe... Searching for the content. I just pasted the first line of your first reference post into Google and would you believe it? The only two results were links to the site you spent all that time looking for!

Link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1.+Judge+Whitey+(aka+The+Judge+Killer)%2C+2000+AD+prog+2+(3%2F5%2F77).+Story+by+Peter+Harris%2C+Pat+Mills%2C+Kelvin+Gosnell%2C+art+by+Mike+McMahon.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-" target="_blank">It'd make a dog laugh.

We never really die.

I, Cosh

Before making my position clear, I'd just like to know if this Breakaway: bar (absolutely not) or biscuit (chocolate coated, but the filling is quite clearly baked, so definitely) is a longstanding board debate.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Never mind that so-called controversy - what of the (frankly disgusting) suggestion that there is something inherently wrong in dunking a biscuit?

What is a milk chocolate hobnob for, prithee tell, if not for dunking in hot earl grey tea?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

mogzilla

i'm sorry what the fuck is the hostility to ginger nutS? strong coffee and a good dunk has got me through many a horrendous day at work.hang your heads in shame ginger nut bashers!

vzzbux

Is it me or are wagon wheels smaller than they used to be?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

I dont like English biscuits unless its Shortbread or Penguins.

Unless its something like Duchy Originals or French biscuits.

Trio were tolerable as they tasted of caramel.

Grant Goggans

Well, I wish it had not happened the way that it did, but the total lack of faith that guy acted in, and especially responded with, is evidence that he was not being entirely honest.  I don't find his explanation plausible, for whether I was having the "rant" he elected to read (although certainly didn't write, not in this forum anyway) or not, nothing in the world was stopping him from apologizing and moving on.

Thing is, I've had my work ripped off before.  I've had my articles reproduced, by accident and maliciously, and I've had the copyright on my photos claimed by others without a care in the world for my rights.  I've spoken up on behalf of other victims of plagiarism for years.  Any Cult TV fans among y'all may be familiar with Roger Fulton's Encyclopedia of TV Science Fiction, several editions were published by Boxtree from the late 80s through the 90s.  I busted a fanzine editor (Epi-Log) who ripped off Fulton and that guy responded the same way Callahan did.  (This was all before email; I have some of the correspondance in my parents' attic somewhere.)

Someone who genuinely regrets making an error of citation will apologize and clarify the situation.  Someone who does not will invariably respond as though you've shot their dog.  ("calling me everything under the sun" = "jerk" and "liar," which I stand by.)

Respectfully, Peter, while his explanation may be plausible, and while I may arguably have gotten more annoyed than the situation warranted, it was still a very poor explanation because he acted in bad faith, and made no discernible effort to track down the site owner, a job which Google has made as easy as pie.

The thing that still aggravates me about Callahan's strop is that (I thought) everybody knew that the 2000 AD archives have always been in shoddy condition.  That's a fault going back to the mid-80s, when IPC's own archive stated there were four more VCs episodes than there actually are, and that Mean Arena ran for a single 65-part story between progs 218-282, and so on.  Statements like "I wouldn't have had to re-do the whole list again if it was done correctly the first time" are petty and shortsighted, considering very few of us have a complete set of progs, annuals, Daily Stars, etc, and nobody has the time to actually become a full-time archivist.  Thus we have long been a fandom where sharing information and assisting with correct credits is what we all do.  (Callahan should see the "Attention: Wake" thread if he disbelieves that.)

Perhaps, as a newcomer to fandom, Callahan was unaware that those of us who enjoy the behind-the-scenes production trivia like page counts and reprints have spent the better part of a decade trying to get the websites and the credit lists accurate because we want the information out there to share with newcomers and desire accuracy, but we all rely on the goodwill and help of others to do so.  For example, I had no idea, when Thrillpowered Thursday showed off a '95 Millar/Pino Daily Star Dredd last year, that I was helping identify something which had questionable credit!

But goodwill goes right out the window when someone takes so very much that is not theirs at all and fights for it.  It goes beyond trivialiies like dating and numbering.  The whole positioning of the early Megazine stories in a chronology until well after Necropolis and into 1991 is not from his "mission" and his "compilation," it's something worked out in email between myself and two other people years ago when the previous format of "Dredd in 2000 AD," "Dredd in the Meg" and "Dredd in Annuals and Specials" was merged.  (And who the heck other than me uses some of those old "aka" titles anyway?)

At any rate, I am sorry that the fight escalated to the point of his tantrum and meltdown, and I am sorry that none of you Brits get to enjoy the great pleasure of having a Zero bar with a bottle of grape soda.  Mmmmmmmm!  Though where cookies are concerned, I'm more of a chocolate chip guy myself.  Biscuits are those fluffy bread things we put chicken patties between for breakfast!

numanti

Hmm.  Well, I admit to having copied and pasted the dredd and dreddworld related stories part of your site into an excell document, and have updated it as your Dredd list ends at Tribal (or did last time I looked, which was last week) so that I could use it as a base to have my own reading order list and also so that I could highlight those stories I have never seen such as the ones in the Dan Dare annuals, with the intention of being a completist geek and getting them off ebay or something.  I have even changed the fonts and everything - I spent many exhaustive hours on tweaking and messing with the list (though haven't been through it with every prog and special sat beside me to check the accuracy, I admit)...

but...

I'd never post it and claim it as  my own work.  FFS, I even added a crdit to Touched By The Hand of Tharg when I gave a copy of it to a mate.  I refer to Touched by the Hand of Tharg a lot - whenever I want to reread a story and I know I have to make an attic trip to get the prog boxes I check out that site to see what issues I need to haul down, so if that was all my work and someone copied and pasted it here as thier own work I think I'd probably react in the same way as HipsterDad.

If Callahan had at the very least said he had updated the list, found some errors and fixed them, and then asked if anyone had contact details for the person who'd actually originally written the list so he could at least seek permission to post it, then I'm sure that would have been fine.

Also, I am happy with most biscuits.

Peter Wolf

"Respectfully, Peter, while his explanation may be plausible, and while I may arguably have gotten more annoyed than the situation warranted, it was still a very poor explanation because he acted in bad faith, and made no discernible effort to track down the site owner, a job which Google has made as easy as pie. "

I was just being neutral.

I hadnt read the posts in detail and studied the case when i posted that>

Anyway the more you read his posts closely he contradicts himself at every sentence  while his explanation slowly unfolds.almost like he is making it up as he goes along with each post.

Things like "I tried to search everywhere..."

There probably isnt a lawyer anywhere on the planet who could defend this idiot in a court of law going on the strength of his explanation as its a mass of contradiction.He would incriminate himself verbally as well as that is what the posts are doing.

He worries about spending time on forums in sort of you lot need to get out more kind of way .That rather contradicts itself as he had the time and inclination to completely  Re Do a list when all he was doing is updating it and then post it by way of introduction.

In the meantime he is trying to network with other aussies "Oh Hi floyd I am on the Gold Coast etc "

Absolute rubbish.Laughable.

SamuelAWilkinson

Right, let's clear all this up now:

Dunking: yes.
Breakaway: biscuit. As are the Twix and Kitkat.
Monkey in a fez: NOT a monkey in a hat.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Radbacker

sorry I've just got to cut in here, no idea about most of these things but a Kit Kat isobviously a chocolate not a biscuit unless the Kit Kats you have up there are different to ours down here.

CU Radbacker

Floyd-the-k

I'm in Melbourne, Callahan.

Hipster Dad, I understand and appreciate your annoyance, which is understandable. What's more "Thrillpowered Thursday" is terrific. However, your rage shouldn't lead you into saying unnceccesarily rude things about the Gold Coast. I don't think there are any piers there.  If they did have piers, they would be long show-offy piers with bikini-clad meter maids on them. or something.

oh and a Monkey in a Fez is a monkey in a hat, because a fez is a hat.

yes, I've wondered that about Wagon Wheels too.

yours happy to be out of work and beginning a long weekendly,

Floyd