Main Menu

SHORT STORY RESULTS! - Out of This World

Started by Bad City Blue, 21 June, 2018, 01:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Hello you hairy arsed halfwits

Some lovely entries in the latest comp, and it was a close run thing. Eamonn clarke nudged heath C Ackley intoi third place, but storming ahead of Eamonn by a single point was the legendary The Legendary Shark.

Well done, your Sharkness.

Remind me of your earth dwelling and I'll get the lovely droids at Rebellion to send something twothy your way.

Cheers My Lovelies

Bad City Blue

here is the winner in all it's soppiness, and if you haven't seen the rest click here: https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=45277.0

------------------------------------------------------------

"Dare To Dream"

"That is too much blood, my friend."

The man's head shook a brief dismissal, his hooked eyebrows drawn together. "Are we clear?"

The green skinned co-pilot forced his large eyes to disregard his friend and studied the screens on his console. "Yes, we're clear. The refugees got thrown around a bit down there but they're okay. You did it."

The man nodded and sagged, a great tension releasing his body. He took his hands from the controls slowly, painfully, his muscles slow to let go. He clicked on the autopilot with a crooked finger and then closed his eyes for a moment, drawing in deep, aching breaths.

"Are you all right?"

The pilot opened his eyes and smiled at his friend. He put his hand to his side and it came up slick with blood. He held it up and studied it. "I suspect not, to be honest." He looked at his other hand, encased in a crystal gauntlet, and sighed. Once bright and vibrant, the crystal was now dull and cold. "How did it all go so wrong?"

"You got us out of there. Orbital batteries, four destroyers, nine cruisers, swarms of fighters, missiles, asteroids - you've still got it, Dan. You're still the best pilot I've ever..."

Dan Dare coughed and couldn't stop, spraying his hands and the flight controls with blood.

"I'll get the med-kit."

"No," Dare brought his coughing under control. "No, it's too late, Sondar. Leave it."

His head lolled back against the pilot's seat's headrest, a weariness washing over him. Sondar scrambled out of his seat and embraced his friend, looking at the ragged wound in his side and seeing inevitability.

"To go out like this. It seems so pointless."

"You are the best pilot in the galaxy. A legend. An inspiration."

Dare smiled thinly, his eyelids drooping. "Sometimes," he said, his voice barely a whisper, "I remember places and people I've never known."

With the last of his spark, Dare turned his face to his friend's. "Do your people believe in reincarnation?"

Sondar opened his mouth to answer but it was too late. Dare's eyes gazed sightlessly at the stars outside the ship.

Sondar smiled and nodded. "In your case," he said in a low, dry voice, "I'd believe anything."
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

The Legendary Shark

Thank you all for your votes and for such stiff and enjoyable competition, I really do love reading all the entries and being amongst such talented and generous competition.

Thanks also to BCB for his tireless dedication to the cause and of course to Tharg and Rebellion for their wonderful support.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]