Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

For me it was a case that the trailers were great but the movies just did not do it for me (the exception was Rogue One just loved it). 

I am at a cross-road, if this is another meh Star Wars movie then I will not see the next one it in the cinemas but I will then wait for the Blu-Ray to arrive.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 April, 2019, 11:44:06 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 15 April, 2019, 11:25:13 AM
Also a trailer for The Mandalorian was shown (the trailer is not on general release, sadly, so only those at Celebration got to see it).

There's a ShakyCam™ phone recording of it floating around — it's mostly behind-the-scenes stuff and concept art but it looks mighty fine already. You might find the phone recording here if Lucasfilm/Disney hasn't had it taken down yet...!

There's also some ShakyCam™ phone footage of the five minute preview they showed and it looks very promising indeed! It gave me a real Strontium Dog vibe!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 April, 2019, 03:55:38 PM
There's also some ShakyCam™ phone footage of the five minute preview they showed and it looks very promising indeed! It gave me a real Strontium Dog vibe!

You're not wrong. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Proof that Star Wars fans will whoop, cheer and holler for anything at all except new Star Wars films.

Apestrife

I'm a bit amazed how little I thought about the teaser for ep 9. Regardless, hope it's good. Definitely gonna watch it (even if I'm not the biggest fan of either 7 o 8).

The Mandalorian looks really cool. Can't wait to watch that! :)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 April, 2019, 07:57:48 AM
Ignoring everything else, that's a terrible title.

And Star Wars Episode IX: Triumph of the Whills would've tied the saga up so well.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 April, 2019, 04:07:19 PM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 April, 2019, 03:55:38 PM

You're not wrong. :-)

Stylish, but I'm thinking if it's going to hold that interest it's going to have to do a lot better than 5 minutes of Holiday Special Boba - Mos Eile Arís - Salacious Crumb PETA commercial - Jabba's Eye Thingie - Gonk Gonk Gonk - Yet More Stormtroopers - Werner Herzog... wait, what, WERNER HERZOG?!?  Damnit I thought I was out and they pulled me back in.  And Taika Waititi to look forwards to. Utter bastards.

TordelBack

As to the other thing, like literally every SW title since Return of the Jedi I thought 'Rise of Skywalker' was utterly awful (I can actually remember where I was when I first heard about Attack of the Clones, now that was a howler).  Then I rolled it about in my head a bit and realised it was perfectly fine. The trailer, while having some good bits (Rey's leap, Poe and Finn in action together), reinforced my fear that LFL are rolling back on everything and ignoring the shiny blank canvas Johnson handed them. I still hope that's not the case, and while Palps is probably my favourite character across the first 6 movies, I really didn't need to hear from him again.  And as for a 5th film with a quest involving a superweapon, even the remains of one... no thanks.  But we'll see.

Now go, I wish to be alone with the Clone Wars S7 trailer.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 April, 2019, 04:24:29 PM
(I can actually remember where I was when I first heard about Attack of the Clones, now that was a howler)

Thankfully that moment was captured for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL8wlBMflA

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 April, 2019, 04:40:18 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 April, 2019, 04:24:29 PM
(I can actually remember where I was when I first heard about Attack of the Clones, now that was a howler)

Thankfully that moment was captured for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL8wlBMflA

God I've aged hideously in 18 years.  Although to be fair the missus hasn't done much better.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 April, 2019, 12:16:26 PM

JJA strikes again.  Clearly the aim was something that evoked Return Of or Revenge Of so as predicted they're already rolling back from that whole "a clean break with the past" theme that ran through TLJ.

And so it goes.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Looks like the Star Wars films can't even do exciting trailers any more.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 April, 2019, 12:48:53 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 April, 2019, 12:16:26 PM

JJA strikes again.  Clearly the aim was something that evoked Return Of or Revenge Of so as predicted they're already rolling back from that whole "a clean break with the past" theme that ran through TLJ.

And so it goes.

I don't think there was a 'clean break with the past' theme in TLJ: although both Luke and Kylo aspired to one, they were both completely frustrated in their aims.

Luke explains that both he and Han will always be with Kylo, Rey carts off the Sacred Texts with Yoda's connivance and (the bits of) Anakin's sabre, Luke clarifies that the Jedi Order is far from finished, and the rebellion reborn. Indeed, a Skywalker becomes the central villain for the first time. The film leaves a blank canvas in the sense that the story could go anywhere from there, but there is no escape from the past.

Rey No-One is a great idea (the best one, IMHO), but it doesn't have to be the final one.  And even then, did we really believe Kylo when he says that her parents were drunks that sold her to Plutt? Did we really believe what a Dark Side mirror showed her? 

My concern still lies with Abrams. He is the very last guy I'd have asked to wrap something up in a satisfying manner.

JOE SOAP

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 April, 2019, 11:50:36 AM

My concern still lies with Abrams. He is the very last guy I'd have asked to wrap something up in a satisfying manner.

Maybe it will turn out that the franchise did in fact crash at the start of Phantom Menace and they are all stuck in purgatory (Endor) ...