Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dr Feeley Good on 04 June, 2019, 02:57:12 PM
Nearly finished Metro Exodus, really enjoyed it, it's more like a cut down Fallout this time instead of being very linear. My only faults are the amount of bugs and crashes, you've really got to remember to make quick saves every so often. The last couple of levels have been spoilt a little bit because my character has lost his hands! No matter what gun you have it just floats in the air! It's quite a common glitch apparently and the only way around it is ditching your save and starting the game again...  :'(

I didn't get hit with that bug but I did have a few crashes, I was playing on Xbox One X and the fan was going absolutely mental at times so it seemed to be working the console way too hard in places. Enjoyed the game a lot though, especially the last couple of hours.

Dr Feeley Good

I've just got to the frozen city to look for the medicine so don't imagine I've got long to go...

Professor Bear

Days Gone was - despite its many, many problems - an enjoyable open-world grinder in the end.  Doesn't utilise vehicles very well apart from a couple of driving/jumping puzzles, and the shooting combat is not as good as it could be, but I surprised myself by sticking with it and going platinum.  Nice to get an open world game like this with a finite amount of content and a set end point rather than a seemingly endless circuit of radiant quests - looking at you, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

Doom annoyed the h*ck out of me, with its tiny, tiny subtitles/tutorials and repetitive gameplay, though to be fair I only got to about level four or so before the constant stop/start arena fights with a gang of the same three or four enemies got really old.  I recall people raving about this at the time but I just don't get the appeal.

GrudgeJohnDeed

The gameplay in Doom was great I thought, the weapons were fun to use and executions to get back much needed resources added more strategy (especially in the tougher moments). It was just exciting to be leaping around gorily dispatching behemoth demons with fists and comedic amounts of firepower though. A bit of a power fantasy I guess! Incredible looking engine too with a great frame-rate, and I love the new soundtrack by Mick Gordon. He's apparently organising a choir of several dozen heavy metal screamers for Doom: Eternal, such a cool idea I cant wait to hear it!! I think also it was a lot of fun for me as a huge fan of the original Doom to see this new take on the universe, lots of self-awareness, humour and fan service in there. These things can oft go very wrong!!

Apestrife

Quote from: Apestrife on 25 May, 2019, 09:27:56 PM
Blood. Played alot of Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior when I was young, but never Blood. Wish I did. I really really enjoy it. The weapons you get to use are really different, flare guns, sticks of dynamite, voodoo dolls and so on, and the level design is really good. Finding the last key usually gives you a short cut to the next door, instead of a bunch of back tracking. The main character is really weird and freaky to boot. He starts laughing like a maniac when things are exploding only to say something really creepy the next second, kicking zombie heads when you pass over them. Feels like a FPS directed by John Carpenter. Hard not to recommend!

Loved the first couple of episodes. A bunch of weapons I never dreamed about using in a FPS game. Pitch forks, dynamite, spray cans --you name it. Imaginative levels with really really good design. Never got lost or stuck on one of those typical key card hunts, but then half way through the game that changed... And then it became a game of hunting down key cards and MYST-esque button pressing through out the levels. The imagination which went into the first episodes (moving trains, carnivals and so on) also took a bit by what started to feel like a repeat of temples.

Still some really mind bending level design here and there, but it wasn't the same. But still a classic. It's up there with DUKE3D and Shadow Warrior, and at times even higher up.

Apestrife

Quote from: Professor Bear on 04 June, 2019, 11:16:50 PM
Doom annoyed the h*ck out of me, with its tiny, tiny subtitles/tutorials and repetitive meplay, though to be fair I only got to about level four or so before the constant stop/start arena fights with a gang of the same three or four enemies got really old.  I recall people raving about this at the time but I just don't get the appeal.

The arena style bugged me quite a bit at first as well, but then I learnt to really like it. Made me think of Quake 3 Arena. I also think it'd be very hard to make DOOM's very agressive gameplay to work properly with fights more spread out on a map. It'd very hard to make the momentum work in combination with exploration.

I only wish they'd put out a couple more enemies outside the arena, as well making the ending a bit more fancy and fun.

Personally, I can't wait for ETERNAL :)

wedgeski

Played a few crackers at UKGE.

Verdana Gardens is a superb, small-box, tile... assembly game? Not sure what you'd call it. We played a demo and bought it immediately.

Men at Work is exactly as great as it looked on YouTube, and is now on the to-buy list.

Similarly, Koi. This beautiful little number really spoke to me but I thought could use a bit more drama. Nevertheless it played surprisingly quickly and has been added to The List.

There were many more but those three really stood out from a great, packed weekend. Anyone who has an opportunity to go to UKGE should do so, it's amazing fun. We've done the weekend run for a couple of years but next time, we're going to max out a long weekend and stay at the local hotel so as to get multiple nights' gaming in as well.

Keef Monkey

I did really enjoy DOOM, although I had to play it in quite short bursts or I got a bit numb to its thrills! I found it surprisingly difficult as well for a game these days, and playing it on the higher difficulty is really quite the sweaty-palmed experience. I think it did a fantastic job of updating the series and making it work in these modern times, in a similar way to how Wolfenstein: The New Order updated that series really smartly!

Playing through Observation at the moment and it's excellent, it's a horrory thing set on a space station after something has gone wrong, has a real Gravity vibe so far and the neat thing is you play as the station AI. So the gameplay is all switching to different cameras to locate faults, doing little mini-games to hack things etc. It doesn't always do a great job of explaining how things work and what you should do, but figuring that stuff out has been pretty satisfying.

It did make me a little motion sick last night though while I was piloting a drone outside the station and lost my bearings a bit. Hardly ever get that from games and it passed quickly thankfully!

Mattofthespurs

Everybody's Golf PS4 VR.

I like to play real goal a few times a year so I got this to see how the experience was and it's pretty realistic using the PS4 Move controller.

Which means I'm still shit at golf and finish on about 10 over par per round.  :lol:

Dr Feeley Good

Just redownloaded the last Deus Ex game because the season pass is only £2.50 in the Xbox sale and the add on missions you get are supposed to be decent..

JamesC

I've been playing loads of retro stuff (as usual). I really like quick pick-up-and-play arcadeyness so I've been rotating between:

Neo Geo Mini- Metal Slug and Shock Troopers.
I really like Metal Slug and definitely think the first one is the best (though they're all good). Once they brought in zombies and mummies it slowed things down too much and it got a bit difficult.
Shock Troopers is just fantastic. I'd never played it before but have always liked Commando, Ikari Warriors, Mercs and the like so this is right up my street. It looks bloody lovely with amazing pixel art and animation. Unfortunately they went 3d for the sequel which looks like a turd.

Megadrive- Elemental Master.
A fantastic shoot em up from Technosoft. I'm crap at it but really enjoy it's simple blast-away gameplay.

Sega Saturn- Sega Rally, Darius Gaiden, Layer Section.
Sega Rally looks a bit clunky these days but still plays brilliantly. I think it was unfavourably compared to 'deeper' rally games like V Rally and Colin McCrae at the time; but if you want a quick arcade rally game with simple fast gameplay and excellent handling this is just great.
Darius Gaden kick my arse but it's fucking brilliant. The more I play it, the more I like it. It has branching paths, great level design, amazing boss battles. Just love it.
Layer Section is another shoot em up, this time a top down vertical style. It has a foreground/background mechanic (like Xevious) so you have to concentrate on flying enemies on the same plane as you, along with ground targets which you are flying above. There's lots to think about and lots happening on screen all at once. I'm finding it a bit difficult at the moment but these things usually click with me after a while. 

radiator

QuoteI really like Metal Slug and definitely think the first one is the best

Metal Slug 3 for me. The original is the purest, but 3 is batshit insane and has tonnes of variety.

Tried to get into Undertale over the weekend - couldn't stand it. I have a theory that the general quality of writing in videogames is so poor that anything with a bit of originality or character gets vastly overpraised, and Undertale fits right into this. If you like genre subversion and think the idea of completeing a game without killing any enemies is cool/interesting, maybe it's for you, but I thought it was incredibly pretentious and dull.

wedgeski

Moving house soon so I might achieve my retro corner at last. As such, dusted off the C64 to make sure it's still in working order. Embarrassed myself on Uridium, Armalyte, Zynaps, Salamader, Nemesis, and many other shooters that I used to absolutely nail. Got halfway through Wizball though. Mood: joyful.

wedgeski

Quote from: JamesC on 10 June, 2019, 12:34:29 PM
Sega Saturn- Sega Rally, Darius Gaiden, Layer Section.
Sega Rally looks a bit clunky these days but still plays brilliantly. I think it was unfavourably compared to 'deeper' rally games like V Rally and Colin McCrae at the time; but if you want a quick arcade rally game with simple fast gameplay and excellent handling this is just great.
There were a few retro arcade machines at Comic Con Collect-a-thon a couple of weekends ago, and Sega Rally was one of them. Holds up *really* well IMO.

Somehow, I channelled my 10-year-old Track'n'Field skills and topped the score-board on that ancient classic as well. I think it must be all the drumming. :)

Keef Monkey

Finished Observation and I think it was one of those games that I wanted to like more than I actually did, if that makes sense. Everything about the setup and the atmosphere and the music and the tone...all of that is fantastic and really clicked for me. The gameplay though was really satisfying and enjoyable when I knew what the game wanted me to do, and frustratingly dull when I didn't. It can be a little too obscure for its own good which resulted in me floating around that space station for quite long stretches without really knowing how to progress. I've never had the best sense of direction in games that don't guide me pretty clearly so that's definitely a factor, but I lost my bearings constantly. Didn't help that the lack of gravity and the way the drone moved made me a bit nauseous.

It's a really interesting game and is doing something very different so well worth a look, but I can't wholeheartedly say I loved it or anything.

Been hearing good things about Layers of Fear 2 and realized I hadn't played the DLC for the first game yet, so battered through Layers of Fear: Inheritance. It's an hour long haunted house ride really, and I didn't find it anywhere near as engaging or frightening as the main game (which scared me so much one night I had to turn it off).

Also was hankering for some cyberpunk so downloaded Ruiner on Game Pass and gave it a try. Wound up playing it all Sunday afternoon and finishing it. Loved it, twin stick shooter thing with a very cool art style that kept bringing to mind Akira for me. It's brutally hard in places but never too bad if you pump your upgrade points into the right things (I maxed out dash and health regen and was spamming those for most fights)! Music was really pulsingly cool and hypnotic too, which is something most Devolver published games tend to have in common. Great stuff.