Main Menu

Why so few 2000 AD fan films?

Started by Steve Green, 08 September, 2017, 04:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 September, 2017, 09:16:53 PM
Likely the higher the profile of the source, the easier to find others who'll contribute time and effort purely because they're young and enthused about it, but there's probably also a conversation about quality over quantity to be had.  I've watched quite a few fan movies now (certainly enough to ruin my Youtube recs forever with fan movies about whatever a Spider-Gwen is), and usually they tend to be isolated vignettes, fight scenes, SFX showcases, or fodder for an actor or cosplayer's showreel.*  It's pretty rare to find fan movies with a complete story and the whole "beginning, middle and end" thing.

* strange but true: one of Black Widow's MCU fight doubles got her on-camera start doing dodgy cosplay/apartment wrestling fetish vids as a springboard to becoming a legitimate thespian in serious cinema

Oh yeah, there's definitely a lot of that about, whether pitching their own skills and it getting bogged down in just wanting to showcase that, or pitching at the more pro level like Dirty Laundry, or vignettes like the Oats studios shorts.

The RT thing we were going to do was possibly going to be a trailer, just to make it brief - but there's something more satisfying about telling a story, for me anyway.

Steve Green

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2017, 09:47:48 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2017, 07:05:41 PM
It's a shame - the availability of decent cameras, drones, digital effects, 3D printing and distribution platforms like youtube would have had 80s fans drooling at the possibilities.

Obviously I'm biased, but it seems a bit more interesting to adapt something osbcure, than a karaoke version of whatever's hit the multiplex in the last six months.

My vote is for Meltdown Man!  A 50-prog storyline in a post-[spoiler]magnetic pole-flipped Earth[/spoiler], populated by humanoid animals clustered around towering futuristic towns and cities wouldn't cost a lot to make, would it?

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 September, 2017, 10:16:26 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2017, 09:47:48 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2017, 07:05:41 PM
It's a shame - the availability of decent cameras, drones, digital effects, 3D printing and distribution platforms like youtube would have had 80s fans drooling at the possibilities.

Obviously I'm biased, but it seems a bit more interesting to adapt something osbcure, than a karaoke version of whatever's hit the multiplex in the last six months.

My vote is for Meltdown Man!  A 50-prog storyline in a post-[spoiler]magnetic pole-flipped Earth[/spoiler], populated by humanoid animals clustered around towering futuristic towns and cities wouldn't cost a lot to make, would it?

Hmm, best not go down the furry cosplay route - that's a rabbit hole I wouldn't want to do down ;)

Professor Bear

Looking at it logistically, finding loads of furry cosplayers to be in a film would be easy.  Where you risk losing them is when they find out the film isn't about them wanking each other off while dressed like Sonic The Hedgehog.

Steve Green

Whatever the level up from herding cats is.

Steven Sterlacchini

Interesting article from Fan Film Follies, regarding the end of the Fan Film 'Renaissance'.

http://www.fanfilmfollies.com/columns/what-happened-to-fan-films/