kyne
alec
rory
isambard
roscoe
Ross
davey/quote]

Fuck, min- ye've got hunners o' kids!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

vzzbux

It has to be Robert, a strong Scottish name (that coming from a pure Englishman).

or Rumplestiltskin.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

DavidXBrunt

A friend of mine reported that her mate had given his son the middle name Rawshack. Pronounced, according to him, Roarshank.

locustsofdeath!

When will we know the name you choose, and what's the prize for suggesting the winner?

SmallBlueThing

Ohhhh, boys names- a subject close to my heart. And not in a gay way!

My two boys are named Bram Vincent Helsing and Bela Price Cushing. That's Bela with an accent that my keyboard doesn't have, and rhymes with "Sailor". (and no, Thrylly, not named after Balor of the Evil Eye- though that was a marvellous coincidence).

However, on the long road to arriving at those- we very nearly called them some of the following, so please Mike, feel free to steal away!

Django
Jango
Bam Bam (And Jango Bam Bam)
Kai
Bummell
(and the one I coninually wound my wife up with, claiming to "see nothing wrong with it"- Bummell Balzac. Ho ho)
Ravyn
Lon
Lorre
Chaney
Vladimir
Horst
Wulf
Slaine
Slayn
Pan (but Pan Thulin-Hopper sounded too much like "Pantaloon Hopper")
Thor
Sterling
and
Judge

My friends, who are huge huge fans of James Robertson Justice, Led Zeppellin and Thomas Bertram, called their son Justis Iommi Bertram, so there really is no limit. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking "it must be normal, or they'll get bullied". It's bollocks- we live in a multi-cultural society and our children will do so to an even greater degree. Classrooms are and will be full of names that sound "weird" to our "12 years old in 1982" ears. It's no biggie. Besides, you can't plan for the future with names- call him "John Donachie"- it's a nice, strong, name yes? And then in thirteen years time, Eastenders runs a plotline with a "John Donachie" as a complete loon, and it's all been for nothing.

Just go with something you love. But, please, don't make our mistake- of giving both children the same initial. You WILL mix them up when shouting at them, I promise.

Steev

maryanddavid

Quote'Or hell, just call him Conan'
My nephews name is Conan, was a bit odd at first, but it suits him.
Tord is right, Jack is a real all round name cant go wrong with it.
We have named two of ours after relations, Kate after both grandmothers, Brendan after grandfather, and Fiadh just because we both really liked it.
Naoise is another boys name we really liked but someone did point out that its a bit girly, and they may have a point. Flynn is another boys name we considered, liked that a lot.

Best of luck anyway, hope everything goes well.

David

Buttonman

I think Adolf is due a comeback. I'd also go for Ron as well as Brian, Champ and Brick.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Noisybast

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 26 July, 2009, 09:32:40 PM
And then in thirteen years time, Eastenders runs a plotline with a "John Donachie" as a complete loon, and it's all been for nothing.

Funnily enough, I used to work with a guy named Nick Cotton. Nice enough bloke. Fan of Slaine, as I recall.

"Matthew" has a nice ring to it...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Van Dom

I agree boys names are dead hard to come up with. If you want something original but not too wacky of course. Our daughter is Halo, our first son is Gryphon. Second son was a lot harder to name but in the end we went for Icarus. Which sounds a bit mad at first but actually really works. This was the wife's idea, at first I was a bit worried about the obvious nickname Icky, but in the end I just loved the name Icarus so much i went along. To be honest, hes only a year old but we've already gotten into the habit of calling him Rus, which is also pretty cool. Halo calls him Icky sometimes and its actually kind of cute! And screw it, if hes going to fall foul of dickheads in school who went to try and upset him with a nickname, their limited intelligence is going to mean Icky will be the best they can come up with and by that stage it wont even be remotely offensive to him. And hey if he becomes a goth or something in his teens the name will be perfect!

Other boys names we had in mind were Zephyr, Mason, Gideon and Jupe. Some Japanese boys names are pretty cool. Icarus' middle name is Kamui (cam-wii) which means Gods Will. This could be shortened to Kam. Gryphons middle name is Soaru which means Skywalker, wokka, wokka. ;) Managed to sneak that one in unbeknownst to certain family members.

Anyway, will be interested to hear what you eventually come up with - and congratulations by the way!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

QuoteGryphons middle name is Soaru which means Skywalker, wokka, wokka.

I am prostrate with genuine awe.  And I thought my wife was cool (which of course she is, but still... man!).

Emperor

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 26 July, 2009, 09:32:40 PMPlease don't fall into the trap of thinking "it must be normal, or they'll get bullied". It's bollocks- we live in a multi-cultural society and our children will do so to an even greater degree. Classrooms are and will be full of names that sound "weird" to our "12 years old in 1982" ears. It's no biggie. Besides, you can't plan for the future with names- call him "John Donachie"- it's a nice, strong, name yes? And then in thirteen years time, Eastenders runs a plotline with a "John Donachie" as a complete loon, and it's all been for nothing.

Indeed. You can make a nickname out of most names (or just pull something out of the air - like "ballbreath") and then, as you say, fate can deal you one from the bottom of the pack if you are feeling smug. Also you can never second guess your children, a girl at school switched a perfectly serviceable first name for a perfectly serviceable middle name. A middle name is always a good fall back, especially if you don't feel you can go for your preferred first name. Luckily I have the option through the family of Harrison (my grandfather's middle name and his mother's surname) and Ash (nice for a stealthy Evil Dead reference). I'm sure a friend of mine was planning on calling her son Lucas (as a tribute to George Lucas), she blinked at the last minute but I think she sneaked it in as a middle name and I think its a good name to go for (if you can't have Harrison or Ash).

Top marks to Mrs TheCat for letting you run with the naming, by the way.

A free ham sandwich to the first person to call their kid Cthulhu.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Emperor on 26 July, 2009, 10:42:52 PM
A free ham sandwich to the first person to call their kid Cthulhu.

The closest I got to that was naming the cat Dexter for "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Originally I wanted Yog, but oh well.

Luckily we have two daughters, and we named them Audrey (we're both big Audrey Hepburn fans)Lillian and Rowen Lucille...both went nicely with the surname McLaughlin.