Main Menu

Free software recommendations

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 28 June, 2010, 01:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

VLC sounds good - I need something that doesn't need codecs for the inlaws machine...will have to try this one.  Cheers.  Open Office is good...

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: briantm on 28 June, 2010, 04:18:02 PM
I don't know.

I have Avast, Ad-Aware and Spybot installed.  Never installed Defender and havent had any serious malware detected - just the usual crap off usb keys from college.

I'd say you could axe it but if it's fairly light on resources there's no harm in leaving it.

No probs, seems to have uninstalled Defender by itself (though it checked if i agreed to do it).  They're good, these things. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Emperor

Quote from: WoD on 28 June, 2010, 05:02:26 PM
VLC sounds good - I need something that doesn't need codecs for the inlaws machine...will have to try this one.  Cheers.  Open Office is good...

Yes it was codec arseache that made me go with VLC, it works perfectly no matter what I've throw at it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Doctor Alt 8

Twitch twitch gibber

so... many choices....

:o

The Doctor Alt 8

Sorry I always seem to be bothering you folks for advice....

But this time I'm asking on behalf of an even more computer illiterate friend than me

Occasionally now I (and others) have recieved E.Mails ... apparently from said friend... which when opened turn out to be an advert.

So far that's it... annoying but these are the type of e.mails (I've heard) that can contain dangerous PC viruss.

What can Jane do to stop these rogue E Mails?

will the programmes you advised me to instal do something to stop it?

Thanks

Emperor

Sounds like her computer is infected. She needs to install the anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software I mention above.

Of course, it is always possible someone has got into the mail server or some such so if this doesn't work she might want to report it to the relevant people. It is possible to spoof the sender, although it sounds unlikely in this case as it seems to be sending emails out to her address book but it may be they'll want to have a look at one of those emails so save one (you are fine if you don't open them and should be OK if you have the protection installed and updated).

So start with getting her to make her computer safe. That should fix it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Jared Katooie

Sounds like a virus to me. Destroy it post-haste.

M.I.K.

Seems more likely to me that she's unwittingly given her email password to someone or something that's now sending spam from her account. If that's the situation, anti-virus software won't help, but changing her password should.

She should still use the anti-virus software anyway though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Emperor

Quote from: briantm on 28 June, 2010, 03:48:52 PMSyncback Free
Will sync your HD with an external HD (or anyfolder to anywhere for that matter).

I knew this'd be a lifesaver but I didn't realise it would pay off quite so soon. I synched everything up on my external HD, went away on holiday and then managed to blow my computer up when I got back.

At some point in the future (when I un-blow-up my computer - is that imploding?) I'm going to set it up to synch to a second internal hard drive once a day.

So don't wait - get this installed today and save yourself a lot of heartache.

briantm

Quote from: Emperor on 21 July, 2010, 03:02:30 AM
Will sync your HD with an external HD (or anyfolder to anywhere for that matter).

I knew this'd be a lifesaver but I didn't realise it would pay off quite so soon. I synched everything up on my external HD, went away on holiday and then managed to blow my computer up when I got back.

At some point in the future (when I un-blow-up my computer - is that imploding?) I'm going to set it up to synch to a second internal hard drive once a day.

And don't keep that HD connected to the PC when not in use as a power surge could fry it along with the internal HDs

Emperor

Quote from: briantm on 21 July, 2010, 01:26:11 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 21 July, 2010, 03:02:30 AM

And don't keep that HD connected to the PC when not in use as a power surge could fry it along with the internal HDs

Oooooo good call (I do have a gangway with surge protection but you never can tell). Although that would only be one of my back-up options (it was more just in case the hard disc died on me). I am considering installing something (Back Orifice?) on my brother's computer so I can back-up to his computer too - that way even if the house burned down I'd be sitting pretty.

briantm

Well if you aren't backing up a load of videos or something massive like that then you could use Hamachi.

Google will give it to you.

It creates a VPN (Virtual Private Network) so once installed on your and your brothers PCs and set up they will act as though they are directly networked and you can set up network shares.

I can't remember if Syncback works over network shares.  I think it does but if not there are other free alternatives.  If you have trouble finding one let me know.

And of course there's always dropbox & shared dropbox folders if your requirements are less than 2GB.

Back to the power surge thing... I have a 4 socket surge protector but its full with PC, Monitor, Speakers and charger.  Whenever I connect an ExtHD or Printer they are plugged into the standard wall socket.  And as they are in turn connected to the PC via USB the PC is prone all over again.  I really should buy another surge protector.  ::)

The Doctor Alt 8

Agreed briantm a searge protector is ESSENTIAL.
many (depending on price) will offer a garentee that if they fail, they will repay the cost of equipment damaged so it is worth the investment.

Emperor

Thanks for that, I'll investigate the options.

Quote from: briantm on 21 July, 2010, 04:13:55 PMAnd of course there's always dropbox & shared dropbox folders if your requirements are less than 2GB.

I did install that to have a look at but the requirement that you needed to have your files in the dropbox folder didn't work for me (as I keep everything in order with folders and shifting things around into and out of the dropbox folder is only gong to confuse me).

briantm

Well this will do any folder you want, but to a maximum of two computers for the free version.

Might do the job just to sync to your bros

http://www.syncplicity.com/