Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 February, 2020, 02:50:17 PM
Maggie expecting an Arnie zombie juggernaut and got a surprisingly deep dark thoughtful movie... (if only he could change the accent), and the wonderful Joely Richardson too

Joely's in Color Out of Space too.  She's great!

Also watched;

Legion (2010) - decent humans vs. angels flick.  Is on Netflix.  Is like The Prophecy but with more action.

Radbacker

6 Underground on Netflix.
It's a Michael Bay movie through and through, my missus stopped watching 20 minutes in as all the jumping cuts we're giving her a headache 😊 I actually enjoyed it but if you don't like Bay don't bother, lots of nonsensical plot hole, fast cut action, pretty nasty violence, leering camera on the female form like I said typical Bay

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 February, 2020, 05:53:48 PM
Quote from: repoman on 24 February, 2020, 05:04:06 PM
31 - Color out of Space.  Nick Cage film where a family living on a farm get an unexpected visit and EVERYTHING GOES MAD.

SOLD!

Is that available on Netflix/Amazon?

It's hitting cinemas on Friday, and streaming not long after. As a huge Richard Stanley, Lovecraft, and Cage fan, this is an unholy marriage for me. Seeing it on Sunday.

Gary James

Quote from: Radbacker on 26 February, 2020, 08:07:39 AM
6 Underground on Netflix.
It felt like a Greatest Hits album rather than something new - surprising to see so many familiar things lumped together in a single story, as if Bay was engaged in a challenge to see how many things he could mash into a whole without adding anything which could have elevated the story beyond its component parts. Although saying that it is derivative is like saying the sun is hot...

Reynolds is the only reason that I stayed to the end, and it is his performance that largely saves the film.

CalHab

Quote from: Gary James on 25 February, 2020, 01:35:05 PM
It'll be nice to see Cage back on form, as a few of his films have been... less than decent is probably the politest thing to say.

If you haven't seen Mandy, I highly recommend it.

I went to see Little Joe last night. A slowly paced and paranoid film about a plant genetically engineered to alter mood. There is a lot of wry wit in the script and production design (which is incredible). Well worth watching.

Professor Bear

Color Out Of Space - I am increasingly convinced that Nicholas Cage doesn't act in films but is instead followed around by a camera crew who periodically swap out his family with a bunch of actors who have specific stage directions and then events unfold like a mix of Bowfinger and The Truman Show.
Anyway, this is pretty good, even if the meaning behind the alien incursion is never put into any larger context.  Worth a watch.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: CalHab on 27 February, 2020, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: Gary James on 25 February, 2020, 01:35:05 PM
It'll be nice to see Cage back on form, as a few of his films have been... less than decent is probably the politest thing to say.

If you haven't seen Mandy, I highly recommend it.

I went to see Little Joe last night. A slowly paced and paranoid film about a plant genetically engineered to alter mood. There is a lot of wry wit in the script and production design (which is incredible). Well worth watching.

I'll second the Mandy recommendation, that film is a real mood and Cage is fantastic in it.

Keen to see Little Joe, but my local Cineworld that I have a card for isn't even showing it at all which sucks. Instead I've opted to catch The Invisible Man and True History of The Kelly Gang this weekend so I can get some use out of the card, both look pretty good so here's hoping they're decent.

Gary James

Quote from: CalHab on 27 February, 2020, 04:48:16 PMIf you haven't seen Mandy, I highly recommend it.
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 February, 2020, 09:18:35 AMI'll second the Mandy recommendation, that film is a real mood and Cage is fantastic in it.

Added to the list. And dear goddess, that's a bloody long list now.

I think I may upset the internet with these observations, but...

Ghostbusters wasn't bad. In fact, I liked the reboot better than Ghostbusters 2 right up until the final act, where everything seemed to get thrown at the screen in a pointless attempt at going one better. It ruined what could have been the best installment in the franchise - and I really, really love the animated series and its comics spin-offs from the 80s, so that's saying something.

Charlie's Angels was a massive disappointment. Preachy and slow at the start, then it wasted a decent cast with a re-tread of plot points which have been done to death - not to mention flubbing the one scene which could have been a desperately needed shot in the arm with some awful sound editing. If someone is going to get caught near an explosion I expect at least as good an audio mix as in the beach scene from Saving Private Ryan.

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw isn't merely the most disappointing film in the franchise, it is one of the most disappointing films I've sat through in the last decade - and I've sat through the DVD of Space Marines a bunch of times. Not a single idea in its empty little head, and no matter how good the glossy, slick presentation is, there's no substitute for an interesting story. Don't watch it immediately after Rampage, however good a double bill might sound - it is somehow less realistic than a film about a giant, intelligent gorilla.

The virus plot from M:I-3, a Marvel supervillain, a Transformers cameo, the croaky 80s MacGyver section at the end... Even Jason Statham (who normally delivers the goods even in the creakiest of movies) can't bring it up to the level of a B-movie. I was trying my hardest to see what Hobbs & Shaw was attempting, but the only thing I'm left with is "we want a cut of the Marvel success story," which is no good reason to make a film.

Haven't seen The Shape of Water yet, so there's still hope that I can provide some slightly more positive comments about the state of cinema...

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 February, 2020, 09:18:35 AMInstead I've opted to catch The Invisible Man and True History of The Kelly Gang this weekend so I can get some use out of the card, both look pretty good so here's hoping they're decent.
True History of the Kelly Gang sounds maginally more interesting of the two, and (maybe its only me, but...) there's a detectable touch of Flashman about the book - alternate takes on well-known events may be slightly out of synch with what's going on in the world (the tedious Fake News chants), but the film looks to be one of the highlights of the year.

The New Three Kingdoms, if it is even released in 2020, probably takes my spot for most promising film of the year though - if it is done correctly, that is.

Hawkmumbler

Little Joe

Hausner is very much in that 'near dystopia' style you can only find in european sci-fi, and I was eager to see their take on a Body Snatchers type scenario.

Unfortunately it's a more thoughtfull feature in theory than it is in practice, about 20 mind too long and doesn't really do anything the other 'imposter' stories haven't already. A missed opportunity.

Apestrife

Apollo 11. Brilliant docu on the moon landing. Caught me off guard how good the picture quality and tight direction were. Stunning. Just stunning.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLrp0SW8yg

10 min from it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgUYurzK-tM

shaolin_monkey

Just sitting down to watch Color Out of Space.. Will report back shortly!

Walking to the cinema I've been listening to the soundtrack of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. (Sorry, couldn't find the 'film soundtrack' thread!) I haven't considered it so closely before, but it is a work of thematic genius!

To expand, it is a war throughout the score between two themes - those of Kirk and Khan. They are so radically different in tone and texture that they are unmistakeable.

Kirk's theme is set early in a lovely major key - sweeping crescendos of horns and violins, moving quickly but gracefully in and out. Sometimes gregarious, sometimes soft and simple, but always upbeat and lyrical.

When you hear Khan's theme it is an instant 'here comes the baddie' moment - a minor key of almost discordant fury with a quick sharp horn sting, underpinned by plucked strings in a sinister tap-tap-tap staccato.

These two themes literally battle it out across the entire score. They play opposite each other; one comes in as the other goes out; often you can hear one theme submerged beneath another as they battle for dominance.

This is the most apparent during the cat and mouse in the nebula - just as Kirk and Khan try to outwit each other onscreen, so too can you hear their themes dance around each other, sweeping up from the depths or pouncing from great heights.

Even as Kirk's theme appears the victor, and the music begins a tense countdown as Genesis is about to explode, Khan's theme leaps out one more time in a "from Hell's heart I stab at thee" musical phrase.

It is almost a relief then when these warring themes are replaced by the soothing lyrical sweeps of the Genesis theme in the epilogue, as the music liltingly considers the creation of new life and Spock's (not so) final resting place.

Just as John Williams is the 'secret sauce' (Lucas's words) of Star Wars, Horner's superb orchestral work here elevates a fun sci-fi romp, and two actors trying to out-ham each other, to something quite special.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this film in the cinema for the first time since I was a child later this month.

shaolin_monkey

Fuck me. Color Out of Space. You need to see this in the cinema. Jesus H Christ, what did I just watch?

TordelBack

Dunkirk: some nice musical cues doing a lot of heavy lifting, the time-thing is clever and the various sinkings are well done, but ultimately it felt inappropriately small-scale and a bit twee. I don't think Nolan is for me.

Seven Psychopaths: for all that it feels like Guy Ritchie producing an unfilmed early Tarantino script with delusions of becoming a Coen brother, I thoroughly enjoyed this silly story. Sustained by universally good performances and some gruesome violence, the first half is stronger than the second, but it's all harmless fun without the quiet desperation at the heart of In Bruges.

shaolin_monkey

Little Monsters

We've had a fun afternoon watching this bizarrely heartwarming film about a school teacher and wannabe rock musician, who find themselves having to protect a class of five year olds from a zombie holocaust during a day trip to a farm.

For the zombie fans there are some great gruesome moments. For the comedy fans, well, we were laughing our socks off throughout.

This is a brilliant Sunday afternoon of entertainment after a heavy Saturday night.

Smith

Daylights. Good disaster movie.