Main Menu

Forum of the future!...?

Started by w3bz, 26 June, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3bz

Right then, a little bit of info on why the forum went away and what's going to happen in the future. I have presented it in the form of a QA for my own amusement. Which wasn't that amusing.

Q: Oi! Where did the forums go?
A: They were taken offline for a security patch and backup. The security patch was only, in part, successful and involved an IP swap for the domain, so downtime unfortunately was unavoidable.

Q: So, what now?
A: Now comes part 2, which will involve a forum migration, purge of users and redundant posts and a re-index.

Q: WHAT!?...does most of that mean?
A: We've done a migration a couple of times before and certainly had our teething issues getting everyones needs sorted, but there's been a definate shift towards needing specific development for 2000 AD over just relying on something that "sort of does the job". That and it's about time this place had a bit of a tidy - there's dust in most of the unmentionables.

Q: But that bit about account purges..?
A: This will be done on an active basis and likely to be along the lines of "If you haven't logged in for over a year" your account will be archived.

Q: Archived?
A: Yeah I'm not actually going to delete any users from a backup and only from the live version of the forums just in case we have any of those "I'm leaving the forum forever but now I'm back" types.

Q: I don't like it. I don't like change. When's this going to happen and can I stay on the old forums?
A: Fairly soon in the grand scheme of things, it has to happen as part of a company-wide security policy that the forums just won't conform to. So you'll have to move with everyone else I'm afraid. However, drama aside, the new set up has some pretty cool stuff.

Q: ...like what?
A: Most here tend to shift towards "Active Topics" and so that should end up being more the focus on the new one right from the get-go. Of course, as always I'm sure we'll have to play around with the functionality a little bit but it's "more there" than this one was. It's also easier to customise bits and bobs which makes our life easier when it comes to updates and added ease when you guys start using it on more than just your PC.

Q: Can I see the new forum before we move?
A: Yup!

Any questions, give us a shout ;)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: w3bz on 26 June, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

Oh you tease you, when, how, where...

I don't like it. I hate change...

oh you covered that...

w3bz

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 June, 2012, 05:02:21 PM
Quote from: w3bz on 26 June, 2012, 04:56:48 PM

Oh you tease you, when, how, where...

I don't like it. I hate change...

oh you covered that...

:D

As soon as you're able I'll post it here ;)

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Excellent news W3bz, looking forward to it :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

COMMANDO FORCES

Beeks

So long as 'Active Topics' remains i'm easy  ;)
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

The Prodigal

I'm 48 and don't like technology and not sure if I will be able to cope.

Will I be ok?

The Enigmatic Dr X

You're missing the point. There's a purge a'comin'.

There's two types of forumite: Purgers and the Purged.

I, for one, am all for a purging. Who's first?

Bagsy purge Godpleton, for liking dance music, and Trout, for...well, being Trout. Deviants both of them.

PURGE THE DEVIANTS!
Lock up your spoons!

Pete Wells

I tend to use 'Unread Post' more than 'Active' ones so can we keep that? Does the new forum have an Edit function, even if it's a timed one, as many of us illiterate types are screaming out for one?

w3bz

Quote from: Beeks on 26 June, 2012, 05:33:57 PM
So long as 'Active Topics' remains i'm easy  ;)

It's one of the main features - might need some tweaking, but yeah...

Quote from: The Prodigal on 26 June, 2012, 06:25:30 PM
I'm 48 and don't like technology and not sure if I will be able to cope.

Will I be ok?

You should more or less remain exactly the same, 98% of the time - now with new and improved appendage retention!

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 June, 2012, 06:46:55 PM
You're missing the point. There's a purge a'comin'.

There's two types of forumite: Purgers and the Purged.

I, for one, am all for a purging. Who's first?

Bagsy purge Godpleton, for liking dance music, and Trout, for...well, being Trout. Deviants both of them.

PURGE THE DEVIANTS!

I shall make sure to install a large flame coloured button in your private suite and include a years supply of Stim. We can have a chat about the whole "what does this do" thing later...

Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 June, 2012, 07:16:07 PM
I tend to use 'Unread Post' more than 'Active' ones so can we keep that? Does the new forum have an Edit function, even if it's a timed one, as many of us illiterate types are screaming out for one?

Yeah including a "mark all as read" feature too - indeed, there is also the ability to edit your posts!

Large48

Can't we just have the one letters thread and get rid of the rest of the rubbish?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Pete Wells

Ha ha!

Thanks for allyer hard work W3bz!

w3bz

Quote from: Large48 on 26 June, 2012, 07:19:12 PM
Can't we just have the one letters thread and get rid of the rest of the rubbish?

Ummm....

Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 June, 2012, 07:21:23 PM
Ha ha!

Thanks for allyer hard work W3bz!

:D

Roger Godpleton

Will any of the mods be fired?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]