Main Menu

voting on story and art separately

Started by stront692, 27 January, 2004, 03:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stront692

i myself find it really hard to give a story an overall vote bcos sometimes i like the art but u can tell its not suited to the story

i think if we were able to give the art and story a vote with a system that then generated an average of the two for the overall story vote would be good

(by the way, if this is too much work wake, just shoot me and forget i said anything???)

also would it not be a good idea to maybe have a top 20 dredd stories (or a top 20 of each character - perhaps within the profiles, as it makes the top 20 unrepresentative)

maybe we could have an addition of top 20 artists and writers eventually too, (although i know we barely have enough voted on to make a top 50 at the mo) this might lead to people casting more votes if their favourite is there and lead to a more representaive view i am thinking

stront692

Wake

It would be too much effort to change the story voting now, but if I were starting from scratch I might consider it. However, if I were starting from scratch and I knew how much impact the database calls were going to make I might have reduced the amount of reliance on the database.

Top 20 Dredd stories is an ideal page for the new Dredd Zone. I could also put a top stories link within the character (and droid) profiles. That should be fairly easy to do.

Wake

stront692

am i right in thinking that its when lots of people are voting and also in the chatroom that the site starts to crash

its just that i have noticed that my post desnt appear when somebody replies to the same post at the same time sometimes

Floyd-the-k

it`s a good idea Stront, too bad it`s not feasible

yours votingly,

Floyd

Steamboy

I prefer to take the story as a whole, if i like the script but not the art or vice-versa it gets marked down. Keeps it simple for my simple mind.

CU Krestel

Wake

Actually that's a good point I'd forgotton about. If you allow voting on story and art separately you may not get as many people voting on each aspect as currently vote on the story overall, which would be counterproductive.

Wake

stront692

well, it seemed a good idea at the time...

its mostly prog 650 on stories that are causing problems really

stront692

maybe we could increae the number of votes needed before a story gets into the top 10 then

maybe 10 before mark is revealed and 25 before it goes towards the all time best

its that it can be easy to manipulate at the moment and i dont think the stories there are representative

Wils

Also, if some mentalist has a misplaced personal vendetta of some kind against a specific artist or writer, it would allow them to give them *really* low votes whilst not affecting the scores of the other people involved in the story who they aren't obsessed with.

Not that there's *anyone* that deranged around here that would actually do that.

stront692

oh, i dont know i think there might be a few people that would do that

Rosso

slaine the horned god was agood example of this. the artwork was superb and is probably the single most important and influential body of work that has ever appeared in 2000ad. the story however was woeful. fan of pat mills earlier work but felt he lost his way on this one.