Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Well, yes, I just wondered why. I'm not complaining, mind. It's certainly original.

dweezil2

Quote from: Smith on 20 October, 2017, 04:17:42 PM
Nightmare on Elms street 3 This franchise is a lot like the Harry Potter movies.In that the first 3 are good,and the rest are just meh.Its good,really ridiculous at times,but that's why we like it.
Jeepers Creepers 2 Rarely for a sequel,it manages to outdo the first movie.
Also,I kinda remember cellphones being a thing in 2003.  :-\

Have to disagree with this, Wes Craven's A New Nightmare, film number 7 Is one of the best, with its forth wall busting, post modernist, meta narrative being one of the most ingenious in the entire series.
Oh, and all the Harry Potter films are shit!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Smith

Im not sure if I even watched that one.So if I get to it...

I still hold that first 3 are good,but  everyone has a right to their own  opinion.

dweezil2

Quote from: Smith on 22 October, 2017, 04:41:13 PM

I still hold that first 3 are good,but  everyone has a right to their own  opinion.

It's really great!
Arguably of equal quality to 3 and far, far superior to 2!  :thumbsup:

Woolly

Quote from: dweezil2 on 22 October, 2017, 05:35:00 PM

It's really great!

I'd agree with all of this  :thumbsup:

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Woolly on 22 October, 2017, 07:18:14 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 22 October, 2017, 05:35:00 PM

It's really great!

I'd agree with all of this  :thumbsup:

Yup, I am also nodding in agreement! New Nightmare is brilliant, and definitely up there with 1&3 (although 3 has a special place in my affections possibly because of the age when I saw it - it definitely seems to be the one I've watched the most often and have the fondest memories of).

I did a rewatch of them all a few years back and was really surprised at how badly 4, 5 and 6* hold up. 2 isn't great either, but for some reason I really enjoy it, it's a bit of a big mad mess and that's endearing.

*Although I do have good memories of three of us renting it on VHS and it only coming with 2 pairs of 3D glasses, meaning my brother got a headache during the 3D section. And you've got to love a film with 3D where the cue for the audience putting on their glasses is a character in the film picking up and putting on 3D glasses. Gloriously cheddar.

Satanist

Dave Made a Maze - Guy builds a cardboard maze in his living room and gets lost in it. Friends go in to rescue him only to discover its bigger on the inside and its full of deadly traps. Oh and there's a minotaur. Quite a quirky fun film that I enjoyed more than I probably should have.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 October, 2017, 09:35:21 AM
*Although I do have good memories of three of us renting it on VHS and it only coming with 2 pairs of 3D glasses, meaning my brother got a headache during the 3D section. And you've got to love a film with 3D where the cue for the audience putting on their glasses is a character in the film picking up and putting on 3D glasses. Gloriously cheddar.

I've still got my 3-D glasses from when I saw it at the cinema. I keep any old tat.

Watching the first one in the cinema is one of my greatest memories of attending the pictures.

radiator

Battle of the Sexes.

Historical comedy-drama about Billie Jean King and women's tennis in the 1970s starring Emma Stone and Steve Carrel.

A likeable film with a great cast - I'll basically watch Carrel in anything and he's on fine form here - but I ultimately found it far too broad and lacking in substance for my tastes. It's also weird that it somewhat assumes that the viewer will already be familiar with it's principal characters and events depicted, and does little to contextualise those events - eg, we see very little in the way of actual tennis matches until the very end of the movie. It also rather bashes the viewer over the head with it's 'message' rather than let them come to their own conclusions. Though well-meaning, there's a single line of dialogue delivered in the closing seconds of the movie that is so on the nose to the point of cringe.

3/5

Rara Avis

The Princess Bride 30th Anniversary Showing

I went to see this last night and what an utterly charming movie.

However at the end I was delighted to spot a Judge Dredd t - shirt draped over the back of the chair the grandfather sits on. It was very like this.. I'm sure it's been spotted before but this was my first time seeing it.

darnmarr

I too went to see the princess bride and noticed the JD t- shirt for the 1st time. it depicted mc mahon's cover where JD sits on a bullet-riddled CRIME' spelt out in concrete....

see?

Tjm86

Thinking of how many times I've seen that film over the years and never noticed that ....

:o

Mardroid

The two last films I saw:

The Dark Crystal - I think I'd seen bits of it, but never watched it all the way through. However on watching it, there were scenes that were rather familiar considering I couldn't remember much about it before hand. Anyway, a lovely story. Wonderfully made creatures and world. The main plot is a standard fantasy quest type thing, but it does it well. Lovely.

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse - As you can probably imagine, scouts are out camping while a zombie outbreak occurs at their home town while they're away, and they have to deal with it when they get back. OH and there's an attractive cocktail waitress from a local stripper bar they team up with.

I actually found it very entertaining, and very funny in places, although some of the humour is rather juvenile, and there's some rather rude gross-out stuff. ([spoiler]That thing with the zombie willy. They actually did that? I also wonder what that actress who played 'Officer Hottie' thought, about her rather small but memorable (ahem) role...[/spoiler])

To be fair, women are not just reduced to sex objects however. The afore-mentioned cocktail waitress turned out to be one of the toughest characters.

Rara Avis

Quote from: darnmarr on 24 October, 2017, 11:42:02 AM
I too went to see the princess bride and noticed the JD t- shirt for the 1st time. it depicted mc mahon's cover where JD sits on a bullet-riddled CRIME' spelt out in concrete...

*coughs* nerd *coughs*  :P

Did you go to see it in Cineworld in Dublin?

If so, are you going to see Predator next month?

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 23 October, 2017, 01:03:47 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 October, 2017, 09:35:21 AM

I've still got my 3-D glasses from when I saw it at the cinema. I keep any old tat.

Watching the first one in the cinema is one of my greatest memories of attending the pictures.

Still got my glasses too!
Glad I'm not the only one!!!  :lol: